PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 3 - First Two Picks

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I expect a trade down with one of the pick, although I want them to pick. My guess is a RB and a TE,

A free safety is what I’m hoping for.
We had that chance at 37. Dejean would have been here for 10 years. But, yes, if there is a free safety they like, go for it, he is the #1 priority.

Honestly, BPA all the way. Get players. There’s a case for us to draft someone at every position now besides QB.

But if I had to choose, I’d go TE and secondary with those picks.

I'll give you three names who represent high value to me of the remaining prospects.

WR - Troy Franklin. He put up video game numbers with the Ducks racking up 1,383 yards and 14 TDs. Great route runner, very productive. 6'3 187 lbs. I don't know how he fell into the 4th but he could be a really nice piece for the Patriots if he works out.

1714196613597.png

TE - Ja'Tavion Sanders. One of the Longhorns most productive tight ends ever. He made a lot of big plays and was very productive at the collegiate level putting up 682 yards and 2 TDs in his final season. At 6'4 245 he is more of an athletic pass catcher than a blocker but he could be a fit for Alex Van Pelt's Outside Zone offense. Needs to improve his blocking at the next level.

1714196673986.png

S - Jaden Hicks. Well built at 6'2 211. Known to be aggressive and a hard hitter. A former cornerback converted to safety. Could potentially play the deep role for the Patriots in a 2 safety set. A really versatile guy who racked up the numbers - 53 tackles, 17 assists, 4 PBUs, 2 INTs, and allowed only a 75.7 passer rating when targeted, then add as a cherry on top 7 pass pressures and 3 sacks when used as an extra rusher.

1714196863583.png

If we get one of these guys, I'd be pretty happy. But of course I've been wrong before.

The only pick I've successfully predicted this draft is Drake Maye who was kind of the obvious choice.

I'll give you three names who represent high value to me of the remaining prospects.

WR - Troy Franklin. He put up video game numbers with the Ducks racking up 1,383 yards and 14 TDs. Great route runner, very productive. 6'3 187 lbs. I don't know how he fell into the 4th but he could be a really nice piece for the Patriots if he works out.

View attachment 57824

TE - Ja'Tavion Sanders. One of the Longhorns most productive tight ends ever. He made a lot of big plays and was very productive at the collegiate level putting up 682 yards and 2 TDs in his final season. At 6'4 245 he is more of an athletic pass catcher than a blocker but he could be a fit for Alex Van Pelt's Outside Zone offense. Needs to improve his blocking at the next level.

View attachment 57825

S - Jaden Hicks. Well built at 6'2 211. Known to be aggressive and a hard hitter. A former cornerback converted to safety. Could potentially play the deep role for the Patriots in a 2 safety set. A really versatile guy who racked up the numbers - 53 tackles, 17 assists, 4 PBUs, 2 INTs, and allowed only a 75.7 passer rating when targeted, then add as a cherry on top 7 pass pressures and 3 sacks when used as an extra rusher.

View attachment 57826

If we get one of these guys, I'd be pretty happy. But of course I've been wrong before.

The only pick I've successfully predicted this draft is Drake Maye who was kind of the obvious choice.
All 3 are on my board and I really think Sanders is in play next up. Franklin might be a little redundant with TT, Polk, Bourne but I wouldn't complain. I think we're looking hard at Sanders though.

I wouldn't mind if we take another WR Franklin/Baker.
Both TEs sounds interesting Stover/Sanders.
Christian Jones OT - to bolster Online.
Maybe Hicks S or one of CBs Tampa/Hart to help our secondary.
Lot of interesting prospects left. We will see how it goes.

T. Franklin - WR
J. Sanders - TE
C.. Stover - TE
J. Trotter jr - LB

I'm a big fan of Cade Stover. Not as athletically gifted as some of the other TE's but not a slouch by any means. Only converted to TE two years ago so is still learning the position, but has incredible drive and determination. Plays every snap like the season is on the line. Good hands, very good blocker. I think he's as safe a pick as you could make at this stage.

Honestly, BPA all the way. Get players. There’s a case for us to draft someone at every position now besides QB.

But if I had to choose, I’d go TE and secondary with those picks.
Double dip at Q it's the most important position. Here's your case for them all.

I like the thought of TE then S.

But BPA is more theoretically better choice at this round.

So far, I think Eliot‘s choices are ok (they are understandable); …. BUT what it feels like he is lacking is a sense of the other 31-team trends and how to navigate the picks to get good value while filling those needs.

It feels like both picks in 2/3 were guys rated much later-lower than chosen & he went there out of desperation cause the cupboard would soon be bare in quality players at those positions. But that feeling is based on (likey useless) mock draft ratings.

Feels like we about to see similar situation w/ CB & S in round 4.

At end of day ( in 3 years) we’ll see how it turned out and some will be draft roulette winners; 70% losers. I hope Eliot‘ are in the 30%.

OT- Christian Jones Texas

WR Troy Franklin Oregon

WR Javon Baker UCF

RB Ray Davis Kentucky

CB TJ Tampa Iowa

WR Devonte’s Walker UNC

RB Jaylen Wright Tenn

QB Spencer Rattler SC

Cade Stover TE Ohio St

Ja’Tavian Sanders TE Texas

Some really good players left on the board, and some worthwhile projects. They have 2 of the top 10 picks, should be interesting

Whelp. They needed - arguably in this order - QB, WR, OL. And that’s what got chosen.

I’m with posters suggesting the best player available today. This team has needs everywhere.

I feel it would be cade stover ... hunch that he turns out to be a great pickup

OT if there's still value and TE

I don't mind picking another WR

I don't mind picking a RB on the 6th round, honestly I'm not looking at defense at all, that's the state of our offense left by the previous regime.

Per ESPN’s best available, Sanders and Stover rank 4th and 5th. Hopefully, we’ll take one of these guys.

TE- Wiley, Saders or Theo Johnson
RB- Kimani Vidal, Dylan Laube, Jaylen Wright, Ray Davis, B. Allen, Guerendo or Estime

WR- Malik Washington, Javon Baker

Last edited:
Lots of talent at WR and DB left.

At 103 They could add Drake's favorite outside target in Tez but I'd prefer KHYREE JACKSON, OREGON. Reminds me of Carlton Davis.

At 110 Cade Stover seems like the best fit for us at TE. If they pass on him then I hope they target Tanner McLachlan late.

I'd prefer to wait until late on a RB prospect.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back