PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 3 - First Two Picks

Don't take another rookie QB and avoid special teamers, but other than that, I don't think there's another position that DOESN'T make sense for us to look at. Rookies sign 4 year deals and other than QB if Maye pans out, every single position on the roster projects to be in our team needs at some point over that 4 year deal.

Polk, Osborne, Douglas, Bourne

I'm not sure why folks want to draft another WR.

Sure, we need a top receiver, but I would think that this will come by trade.

Anything can happen, but I would expect a WR to be our #5 this year and next. We will certainly acquire a top receiver either this year or next. My preference is next, but I'm fine with now. Of course, if we draft another WR, he could be our #6 if we acquire a top WR.

Polk, Osborne, Douglas, Bourne

I'm not sure why folks want to draft another WR.

Sure, we need a top receiver, but I would think that this will come by trade.

Anything can happen, but I would expect a WR to be our #5 this year and next. We will certainly acquire a top receiver either this year or next. My preference is next, but I'm fine with now. Of course, if we draft another WR, he could be our #6 if we acquire a top WR.
Osborn has a 1 year deal. Bourne signed a 3 year deal but it's structured in a way that gives them an out next year. They're both "meh" players. It's just roster management. I don't view Osborn or Bourne as locked in long term pieces here. They're good, but not that good. If we could lock in a good player on a rookie deal, more than happy to move on from one/both of those guys and allocate the savings elsewhere.

Some good RBs available in Wright, Estime & Laube later. I wouldn’t be opposed to doubling up at WR & taking the cap hit on Juju either.

Some good RBs available in Wright, Estime & Laube later. I wouldn’t be opposed to doubling up at WR & taking the cap hit on Juju either.

Jeremiah says that there are still starters out there at C, RB and WR.

INTERIOR OL'S (we carry 5 or 6) plus Practice Squad players
3 starters: Strange, Andrews, Sow
2 backups: Andrews (C/G), Mafi (G)
2 others at Practice Squad level: Leverett, Jordan

As we plan for 2025 and 2026 (the focus of the draft), we need some help.

As we look for 8 players to make the 2024 roster, I think that we need some help. I suspect that we will sign a veteran backup, our #8 OL.
I am not sold on Mafi. He is likely a lock at the moment, even if we sign a veteran.

I expect Andrews to play this year and next, but obviously we need to be prepared for his retirement. If Jake is his replacement, then we need a backup C/G.

Whelp. They needed - arguably in this order - QB, WR, OL. And that’s what got chosen.

I’m with posters suggesting the best player available today. This team has needs everywhere.

I think Ja’Tavian Sanders, the TE from Texas is the best player on the board, so that would be my choice. After that it’s between Troy Franklin and T.J. Tampa imo.

Would like to see them double up at OT and WR with the next two picks.

OT: Christian Jones - Texas, Javon Foster - Missouri, Walter Rouse - Oklahoma.
WR: Devontez Walker - UNC, Brendon Rice - USC

But wouldn't be upset with:

HB: Bucky Irving - Oregon, Ray Davis - Kentucky, Will Shipley - Clemson.
TE: Theo Johnson - Penn state
G/C: Sedrick Van Pran - Georgia, Christian Mahogany - BC
CB: TJ Tampa - Iowa St, Khyree Jackson - Oregon
S: Jaden Hicks - Washington State

Would like to see them double up at OT and WR with the next two picks.

OT: Christian Jones - Texas, Javon Foster - Missouri, Walter Rouse - Oklahoma.
WR: Devontez Walker - UNC, Brendon Rice - USC

But wouldn't be upset with:

HB: Bucky Irving - Oregon, Ray Davis - Kentucky, Will Shipley - Clemson.
TE: Theo Johnson - Penn state
G/C: Sedrick Van Pran - Georgia, Christian Mahogany - BC
CB: TJ Tampa - Iowa St, Khyree Jackson - Oregon
S: Jaden Hicks - Washington State
a fine list

I would say that Van Pran probably brings the most value to the patriots 2025 and 2026 teams, the point of the draft.

I have no clue why Tampa is still undrafted. Did he fail a drug test, or a physical?

Troy Franklin would be a dynamite pick in the fourth round. Tez Walker’s speed and experience with Maye is intriguing.

I like Sanders but since Gronk's departure I've had no idea what the Pats have been trying to do strategically at TE. They've spent a ton on TE talent only to have it languish as a gameplan afterthought. I wish I knew what the new staff thinks they want to do with the position then I could decide if Sanders was a fit.

I was a big fan of Charlie Sanders back in the day. If this Sanders could do what Charlie did that would be more than ok.

Players still left on the board...

RB - Isaac Guerendo, this year's Isaiah Pacheco from a guy who said Pacheco was that guy back when.

WR - Troy Franklin, Brendan Rice, Devontez Walker, Malik Washington... we can still get a better WR than Polk. Hell they could get a WR just as good as Polk in the 4th/5th/6th/7th round by taking take Javon Baker. Or take a freakishly big WR who also makes tough catches in Johnny Wilson that late.

TE - Theo Johnson is a great athlete if they want a WR type, if they want a blocking type Dallin Holker could be taken late.

OT - Why? How many tackles can they bring to camp and find reps for, they already burned a wad of money on Okorafor and wasted a pick on Wallace. Is the front office going to rectify these mistakes and make themselves look foolish by taking another tackle, they should. Frank Crum is a developmental type but he is likely already better than Wallace. Josiah Ezirim is a similar project... considering our current options I'd scrape the bottom of the barrel for these guys because they still don't have a left tackle. When Calvin Anderson coming off a mystery illness looks like the best option... it's desperation time.

CB - I like Nehemiah Pritchett out of Auburn, has some size and athleticism.

Take a kicker... you need some added competition. If you want to add another QB, Michael Pratt is interesting.

OT- Christian Jones Texas

WR Troy Franklin Oregon

WR Javon Baker UCF

RB Ray Davis Kentucky

CB TJ Tampa Iowa

WR Devonte’s Walker UNC

RB Jaylen Wright Tenn

QB Spencer Rattler SC

Cade Stover TE Ohio St

Ja’Tavian Sanders TE Texas

Some really good players left on the board, and some worthwhile projects. They have 2 of the top 10 picks, should be interesting
Good list and add Braelon Allen running back Wisconsin to it. Dude is a huge bruising back with some speed and can catch.

I'm hoping for QB Spencer Rattler (South Carolina) or QB Joe Milton (Tennesee) @ 103 and OT Christian Jones (Texas) @ 110.

We need to double up on both positions and none of these guys will last much longer.

To name a few

Javon Baker wr
Tanor Bortololini c g
Sedrick Van Pran c
Jalen Coker Wr
Christian Jones ot
Travis Glover ot
Frank Krum ot
Jeremiah Trotter lb.
TJ Tampa cb/s

And a lot more good names still out there.

I'll give you three names who represent high value to me of the remaining prospects.

WR - Troy Franklin. He put up video game numbers with the Ducks racking up 1,383 yards and 14 TDs. Great route runner, very productive. 6'3 187 lbs. I don't know how he fell into the 4th but he could be a really nice piece for the Patriots if he works out.

View attachment 57824

TE - Ja'Tavion Sanders. One of the Longhorns most productive tight ends ever. He made a lot of big plays and was very productive at the collegiate level putting up 682 yards and 2 TDs in his final season. At 6'4 245 he is more of an athletic pass catcher than a blocker but he could be a fit for Alex Van Pelt's Outside Zone offense. Needs to improve his blocking at the next level.

View attachment 57825

S - Jaden Hicks. Well built at 6'2 211. Known to be aggressive and a hard hitter. A former cornerback converted to safety. Could potentially play the deep role for the Patriots in a 2 safety set. A really versatile guy who racked up the numbers - 53 tackles, 17 assists, 4 PBUs, 2 INTs, and allowed only a 75.7 passer rating when targeted, then add as a cherry on top 7 pass pressures and 3 sacks when used as an extra rusher.

View attachment 57826

If we get one of these guys, I'd be pretty happy. But of course I've been wrong before.

The only pick I've successfully predicted this draft is Drake Maye who was kind of the obvious choice.
good choices. We definitely need a ball hawk safety. I would like Ray Davis RB Kentucky. Just love his effort.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back