PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we have issues at center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Do we have issues at center?

How was the first one on Solder? He took the outside rusher whilst Logan Mankins decided to do a 360 as Geno Atkins just strolled by him.

Was about to revise not the first two but it was 2 and they were early. If you watch him early in the half he was getting blasted off the line.

Nate Solder: Yielded some early pressure on Brady, and was at least partially responsible for sacks by defensive tackle Geno Atkins and defensive end Wallace Gilberry, which resulted in third-down stops on the Patriots first and second drive, respectively. It was an uncharacterstic performance for an offensive tackle who has been responsible for just seven total pressures on Brady this season, and no sacks.

Was about to revise not the first two but it was 2 and they were early. If you watch him early in the half he was getting blasted off the line.

Nate Solder: Yielded some early pressure on Brady, and was at least partially responsible for sacks by defensive tackle Geno Atkins and defensive end Wallace Gilberry, which resulted in third-down stops on the Patriots first and second drive, respectively. It was an uncharacterstic performance for an offensive tackle who has been responsible for just seven total pressures on Brady this season, and no sacks.

There's no way he could do anything on Gilberry's sack. There were two rushers and only one blocker. Brady either needs to change the protection or get the ball out faster.

Brady fumbling two snaps in 4 games, both on QB sneaks? Must be the center's fault from the replays.... Those are just as bad - probably worse - than giving up a sack.

Im glad I'm not the only one who sees it. I see people posting stats defending the Ol.

This line will get it done against most of the Average dls of the nfl . But once the playoff begin and the tough dls come to play they fold. At this point we would be better off signing someone off the street than Wendell. He's the weak link on the Ol.

Also, I'm not trying to defend the guards but it wouldn't surprise me if part of their struggles is having to worry about helping the center. Whenever a center struggles the guard usually is called on to either double team or chip. Obviously this makes the dls job a lot easier, and usually frees up or limits a blocker. This will kill you against an elite dl.

I think the tackles have been pretty good. It's the interior I'm worried about. Just to add salt to the wound , is it any surprise we never get a running game going in a big game? In 07 maroney went from red hot to ineffective in the Super Bowl.

It happened in the 11 Super Bowl. Sure missing gronk hurts but it would make up for the loss if we could get a good run game going in a big game. It also happened last year as well. Brady was struggling and vereen/ Ridley could do nothing.

We ran the ball better in big games when we didnt have a running game. I honestly think without improvements were not winning any lombardi

At this point we would be better off signing someone off the street than Wendell. He's the weak link on the OL.

I agree wholeheartedly with the need to upgrade the center position, but I'm not sure if that statement is simply hyperbole or an actual serious suggestion.

Have you considered what free agent centers are available?

- Eugene Amano: still not healthy (missed all 2012 with a torn triceps); was outplayed by his backup; performed poorly enough in 2010-11 to compel Tennessee to draft his replacement; is over the hill.

- Kyle DeVan: has bounced around between five NFL rosters and the Arena League, never doing performing well enough to compel any team to keep him for very long.

- Nick McDonald: still not healthy, and hasn't shown anything to believe that he can be counted on to be able to stay on the field two years now.

To me a better idea would be to move Connolly back to center and Cannon to right guard. A street free agent? Careful what you wish for, because that's a clear regression, jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I've been banging the drum on drafting interior linemen for the last few years. If this keeps up, I hope it won't just be some idiot in Connecticut (IE: me) who realizes this fact.

(Incidentally, I wanted the team to draft John Sullivan and Max Unger over the years. Pretty sure either of them would be an upgrade.)

I don't know if the issue is Wendell or Connolly or both, but I think it's clear they are not getting it done at that area of the line. I think most here would like to see Connolly go back to C and Cannon move to RG and I agree with that wholeheartedly, however if Scarnecchia decided to go Wendell-Cannon or replace both starter I would be fine with that as well.

I don't know if the issue is Wendell or Connolly or both, but I think it's clear they are not getting it done at that area of the line. I think most here would like to see Connolly go back to C and Cannon move to RG and I agree with that wholeheartedly, however if Scarnecchia decided to go Wendell-Cannon or replace both starter I would be fine with that as well.

Connolly is not a starting RG, but Wendell is the weaker link of the two. I have to hope that if these issues continue, the coaching staff will see this and make the change.

Connolly is not a starting RG, but Wendell is the weaker link of the two. I have to hope that if these issues continue, the coaching staff will see this and make the change.

Brings up the question of why changes haven't been made yet...

Cannon not good enough at RG?
Connolly just not able to beat out Wendell at C at this stage of his career?
Team too worried about double switches in event of injury?

I don't know if it's any of the above, but I'd love to know the reason.

I think Connally would be better at center.

I've noticed that a lot of Wendell's shotgun snaps are either to Brady's ankles or to his shoulders. So not only is he an undersized center, he's also not a very accurate center. I think his bad snaps have a lot to do with Brady's inaccurate throws. The timing of the play is thrown off from the snap onward.

Brings up the question of why changes haven't been made yet...

Cannon not good enough at RG?
Connolly just not able to beat out Wendell at C at this stage of his career?
Team too worried about double switches in event of injury?

I don't know if it's any of the above, but I'd love to know the reason.

Looks like we may fine out sooner rather than later, now that Wendell's been added to the injury report with a concussion.

Looks like we may fine out sooner rather than later, now that Wendell's been added to the injury report with a concussion.

Yup.

Well, looks like there will be a change at center this week (although, I'm sad to hear the reason):

Nick Underhill @Nick_Underhill
Ryan Wendell has a concussion.

More like the (face-saving) Foxboro flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes