PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Battle plan

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
It’s a crazy proposition.

There are many factors, but it all comes down to watching them play, and getting the right information about what kind of character they have, I would take any of the 3 at 3, Williams had the most pure talent, but both Daniels and Maye have a ton of talent, and by all accounts the leadership qualities you want in a QB. I know you don’t like to hear it Ken, but this has become a QB driven league, and if you don’t take your QB with your top picks you are probably going to be on the outside looking in at the playoffs. As far as Daniels goes his trajectory is very similar to Burrows. Both were transfers, both were late risers who had great senior seasons, and both had high quality WR’s to throw to. In December the year Burrows was drafted he was listed as a second round pick the Patriots would take as a project, in Draft Countdown. By the time the Combine had come around he was the Heisman winner and National Champ, and was a consensus first pick overall. Nothing is guaranteed, but you do have to take some chances to get a franchise QB. The Patriots have their best pick in 30 years, and I expect them to take either Maye or Daniels, and I’ll be happy with either one.
I know it IS a QB directed league. The evolution and the made for TV rules have dictated that to the point where even I have to recognize it. But where I disagree with many fans is just how important WR's are to the game. Having a great #1 is a big help, BUT given how many NFL quality WR's can be found ALL through the draft makes me a lot less emphatic to try and grab a guy real early in the process. Everyone from Edelman to Puca are great examples of that.

To me all the numbers tell us the higher you pick a QB, the more likely you will find "your guy". But even THEN the numbers tell us you are in a coin flip of getting him even in the top 5 picks. And even lower when you figure to get the perceived 3rd best guy on the board.

Right now, I'm hoping the guy we get is Maye, though if its Daniels, (who I believe has the highest upside of the 3) I wouldn't be unhappy. His biggest downside is that he might be TOO tough as he seems to seek out contact rather than avoid it.

No body likes MORE draft picks than I do, especially in a deep draft at so many positions (QB, OL, WR, TE and DB's) But lets see how FA pans out, as I believe it will dictate a lot of our draft strategy a month later.

It will be good to draft our offensive future, though even good rookie WR's often take a year or two to reach their potentials. So I think aside from adding our QB of the future, our most important additions will come from the FA market.

In order of priority I HAVE to keep Owenu and Duggar at a minimum (also would like to keep Henry, PBrown, Uche, and Wilson). Again keep the focus on defense in FA, we NEED to add a quality edge like Hunter (and if we got him I would entertain a trade of Judon though an edge pair of Hunter and Judon WOULD be formidable. There are a couple of pretty good CB options as well from which I would want to add.

Unfortunately this isn't a great OL FA class, but we certainly could upgrade at the position, even though 2 of the top 5 guys out there are Owenu and TBrown. And finally but not least we need to extend Barmore BEFORE the OTA's A really good DL can elevate an entire team's competitveness, and we have the makings of having just that here.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I wouldn’t prioritize O line in this draft. Hear me out- if we sign Onwenu we bring back 4 NFL calibre starters- Onwenu, Strange, Andrews, Sow. I’m not saying they are all world, but they are NFL calibre. So you need 1 plus depth and/or you need to upgrade.

Where are we at WR? We have 1- Douglas (no I would not bring back Bourne). We need 3 plus depth.

TE: we have 1 (no thank you on Brown) IF we overpay for Henry. Is Henry worth the 18 million it will take to franchise him? Not for this team, imo. Yet you almost have to do it because we have no one else. We need 2 plus depth.

RB: Elliot needs to go to a contender. He’s a good player but not a good fit for this team we need youth. We have 1 plus 2 major question marks. Need at least 1 more, maybe more.

QB: absolutely HAVE to draft at least 1.

That’s at least 6 skill position players and probably more like 7-8. Worry about O line next year imo.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I wouldn’t prioritize O line in this draft Hear me out- if we sign Onwenu we bring back 4 NFL calibre starters- Onwenu, Strange, Andrews, Sow. I’m not saying they are all world, but they are NFL calibre. So you need 1 plus depth and/or you need to upgrade.

Where are we at WR? We have 1- Douglas (no I would not bring back Bourne). We need 3 plus depth.

TE: we have 1 (no thank you on Brown) IF we overpay for Henry. Is Henry worth the 18 million it will take to franchise him? Not for this team, imo. Yet you almost have to do it because we have no one else. We need 2 plus depth.

RB: Elliot needs to go to a contender. He’s a good player but not a good fit for this team we need youth. We have 1 plus 2 major question marks. Need at least 1 more, maybe more.

QB: absolutely HAVE to draft at least 1.

That’s at least 6 skill position players and probably more like 7-8. Worry about O line next year imo.
Gotta get a LT if not with the 1st pick 100% the 2nd pick

I know it IS a QB directed league. The evolution and the made for TV rules have dictated that to the point where even I have to recognize it. But where I disagree with many fans is just how important WR's are to the game. Having a great #1 is a big help, BUT given how many NFL quality WR's can be found ALL through the draft makes me a lot less emphatic to try and grab a guy real early in the process. Everyone from Edelman to Puca are great examples of that.

To me all the numbers tell us the higher you pick a QB, the more likely you will find "your guy". But even THEN the numbers tell us you are in a coin flip of getting him even in the top 5 picks. And even lower when you figure to get the perceived 3rd best guy on the board.

Right now, I'm hoping the guy we get is Maye, though if its Daniels, (who I believe has the highest upside of the 3) I wouldn't be unhappy. His biggest downside is that he might be TOO tough as he seems to seek out contact rather than avoid it.

No body likes MORE draft picks than I do, especially in a deep draft at so many positions (QB, OL, WR, TE and DB's) But lets see how FA pans out, as I believe it will dictate a lot of our draft strategy a month later.

It will be good to draft our offensive future, though even good rookie WR's often take a year or two to reach their potentials. So I think aside from adding our QB of the future, our most important additions will come from the FA market.

In order of priority I HAVE to keep Owenu and Duggar at a minimum (also would like to keep Henry, PBrown, Uche, and Wilson). Again keep the focus on defense in FA, we NEED to add a quality edge like Hunter (and if we got him I would entertain a trade of Judon though an edge pair of Hunter and Judon WOULD be formidable. There are a couple of pretty good CB options as well from which I would want to add.

Unfortunately this isn't a great OL FA class, but we certainly could upgrade at the position, even though 2 of the top 5 guys out there are Owenu and TBrown. And finally but not least we need to extend Barmore BEFORE the OTA's A really good DL can elevate an entire team's competitveness, and we have the makings of having just that here.

I agree with pretty much all of this Ken. The really good news is that this OL class is really deep for the first two days of the draft, and the WR class could be the deepest ever. They can getcwualitycstsrters call 3 positions simply by staying put, or they could choose to go QB at 3, and then move up into either round 1 for their 2nd pick, or round 2 for their 3.rd pick, if they see a prospect they really want available for them to take.

As far as Onwenu and Duggars go it depends upon the price and the tag. If Onwenu is willing toning deal paying him 13-14 AAV I would make that deal, if he wants 20 AAV. I would let him go free agent and take the 3rd round compensatory pick for him. On Duggars it depends again upon the price tag, but for me also depends upon whether the Bucs tag Mayfield or Winfield? Mayfield has started to play hardball with the Bucs in contract negotiations, and they might end up having to franchise tag him. If the Bucs tag Mayfield then Antoine Winfield comes free, and he’s the best defensive back in the league imo. If that happens I would jump on that opportunity. If you are going to spend top dollar at a position Safety is a good choice because the top dollar contracts, like those of running backs, is very reasonable. If they wanted to the Patriots could sign Saquon Barkley or Josh Jacobs, as well as Winfield, for less than Michael Pittman would cost them. So for say 27 million AAV you get a top rated RB and the best defensive back in football.

High quality OT’s will be available well into the 2nd round.
Not as much as you think. There's about 10 high quality tackles but at least 5 of those are RTs. I'm not including the sleeper your gonna have to get lucky on. What I'm saying is 6 maybe 7 tackles go in the 1st Rd.

All I'm saying is if the patriots gotta play a game today. I'm taking a LT and thats over qb and wr.

Last edited:
Joe Alt jr is a generational talent
Penn State kid could be elite but he has to work on his run blocking
The BYU kid Kingsley something will be a 1st Rd pick after the combine

Joe Alt jr is a generational talent
Penn State kid could be elite but he has to work on his run blocking
The BYU kid Kingsley something will be a 1st Rd pick after the combine
Robert Gallery was a generational talent, Tony Mandarich was a generational talent, Levi Brown, Andre Smith, Mike Williams, Jason Smith. Occasionally the position does bust. But yeah, probably the least amount of busts come from the position.

not me

There are a lot of teams that would want to draft a QB in the top 11. PLANNING to take Mccarthy at 12 doesn't work for me. If Daniels and Harrison are gone by 4, there will be lots of opportunity for teams to move up for a QB before pick 12.
This is mindset that needs to go into any trade scenario.

I want the Patriots to take the guy they feel is the best QB to lead a champion. And, if a team has the capital to get their guy, you go out and get their guy, If that guy is Williams, offer Chicago three 1sts and see if they bite. If not, its best QB available after the top 2.

I've said this before, if their guy is McCarthy, they need to take him in the top 5. Likewise, if their guy is Penix or Nix, they probably still have to stay in the top 10. Hell, if their guy is Rattler, they need to take him at #34.

When you are in a position of power, and you have an opportunity to get The Guy at QB, you need to reach to lock it down. Getting to cute with value and missing out would be catastrophic.

High quality OT’s will be available well into the 2nd round.
High quality centers guards and RTs.

Really hope they lock a LT up like Tyron Smith during FA before the draft. It’s really imperative they get one because the draft is a crapshoot

High quality centers guards and RTs.

Really hope they lock a LT up like Tyron Smith during FA before the draft. It’s really imperative they get one because the draft is a crapshoot
This Draft is really deep at OT, so if they can retain Onwenu and get their LT at #34 offensive line should be good. Still not deep, but the starting line would be pretty good, especially if Guyton or Mims drop to them.

This Draft is really deep at OT, so if they can retain Onwenu and get their LT at #34 offensive line should be good. Still not deep, but the starting line would be pretty good, especially if Guyton or Mims drop to them.
Deep at OT yes. LT no.

Deep at OT yes. LT no.
I don't think that we want our new QB playing behind the LT rookie who is available at 34. Sure, the draft is deep at OT; 8 might be drafted in the first round and many more in the 2nd and 3rd. That being said, I would want to move up to get our LT in the top 25 picks.

not me

There are a lot of teams that would want to draft a QB in the top 11. PLANNING to take Mccarthy at 12 doesn't work for me. If Daniels and Harrison are gone by 4, there will be lots of opportunity for teams to move up for a QB before pick 12.
I agree....trade down and draft a QB in 2nd and 4th or 5th but we need a bridge QB for experience to at least have a semblance of offense

My plan is starting to shape up.

Free agency: Using Spotrac for AAV

Sign Saquon Barkley RB 10 million AAV

Sign Ryan Tannehill 20 million AAV ( guesstimate)

Sign Tyson Smith OT 7.5 million

Sign Josh Jones OT 5 million AAV ( g

Sign Christian Wilkins DT 21 million AAV

Sign Antoine Winfield 16 million AAV

Thats 79.5 million AAV

CUT JC Jackson

Use the rest to re-sign their ownfree agents Trade Mac for an 8th round pick.

Wilkins and Winfield could get tagged, but they are the top players for me in free agency.

Draft either Daniels or Maye at QB, then go either OT or WR at #34, depending on who is the better prospect on the board, Then try to move up with theirv3rd pick and fill the remaining need.
Love it when a plan comes together !!

Love it when a plan comes together !!

Not as star studded as I had hoped for, but I really like what they are doing. Smart signings, kept some good players, and it’s looking good for the QB at #3.

I agree....trade down and draft a QB in 2nd and 4th or 5th but we need a bridge QB for experience to at least have a semblance of offense

I don’t think you are reading him right. Iirc Mg wants the QB at 3, and whey he’s talking about trying to move up for a guy like Guyton or Mims, if they drop into range for them.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back