PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dr. Gill Steps Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin
Dr. Gill was removed as chief of MGH sports medicine last August, but #Patriots still let him work the 2013 season Dr. Tom Gill's departure from Patriots follows bitter turf war within hospital, Mass. General said - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe
Show Summary
27m
Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin
Court document says former #Patriots team doctor was forced from his job at MGH last August after a bitter turf war Dr. Tom Gill's departure from Patriots follows bitter turf war within hospital, Mass. General said - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, actual information, particularly medical information, is not allowed in this thread.

I'd suggest you reconsider this, and instead post something that blames surgeons for post-op infections or accepts player complaints as fully valid.

Your notion of what constitutes actual information is certainly an interesting one.

Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin
Dr. Gill was removed as chief of MGH sports medicine last August, but #Patriots still let him work the 2013 season Dr. Tom Gill's departure from Patriots follows bitter turf war within hospital, Mass. General said - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe

Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin
Court document says former #Patriots team doctor was forced from his job at MGH last August after a bitter turf war Dr. Tom Gill's departure from Patriots follows bitter turf war within hospital, Mass. General said - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe

For the click-impaired:

Dr. Thomas Gill, replaced as medical director of the New England Patriots this week, had been forced from his job as head of the Massachusetts General Hospital sports medicine division last year after a bitter turf war, according to an account filed in court recently by the hospital.

Gill “became a polarizing chief” in the sports medicine division, Mass. General said in a motion filed in US District Court, as he and a colleague engaged in “competition over patients, operating room time, and professional sports teams.’’

The dispute with the fellow surgeon in 2011 and 2012 eventually led the hospital to remove Gill from his job as head of sports medicine in 2013, Mass. General said.

The Patriots announced Thursday that Gill had been replaced as the team’s medical director, indicating that it was because he was no longer chief of sports medicine at Mass. General. In a written statement, the Patriots said, “We have always had the chief of sports medicine at MGH serve as the team’s medical director and will continue to work with MGH to provide those services.’’

The team’s statement did not explain why the announcement came months after the hospital removed Gill as head of sports medicine.

The hospital said in August that Dr. Matthew Provencher, who came to Mass. General in April 2013 from the Naval Medical Center in San Diego, would replace Gill as division chief. Provencher is now the Patriots’ medical director, the team’s statement said.​

The whole story involving Gronk's forearm fracture is absolutely unbelievable. I have read two sides from this story, some who defend the natural healing, some who understood why they chose an invasive procedure.

Well I'm not a physician but I have been through some procedures, I read a lot, someone will have a hard time to explain me why they chose this procedure to cure a simple fracture that could have healed 100% in 2 months using a fu..ing cast. Instead, using a invasive procedure that always brings some risk, with all the consequences that happened, jeopardizing a promising career, just for rushing him to be available for the playoffs, it just doesn't fit BB's rationale.

That's a huge case, If, god forbids, Gronk gets another problem in that arm due to some weakness, after all nobody really knows the status of that arm, Gil should be sued for bad practice of medicine.

BB didn't care if he was available for the playoffs?

It wasn't Gronk's decision to make?

Instead, using a invasive procedure that always brings some risk, with all the consequences that happened, jeopardizing a promising career, just for rushing him to be available for the playoffs, it just doesn't fit BB's rationale.

The poster indicated the doctor wanted him ready for the playoffs, but BB (and presumably Gronk) didn't. That seems unlikely to me.

Great

I got sick of seeing this idiot's receded horse-shoe hairline every time he'd walk alongside our injured players to the dressing room, 500 times last year.

On top of that, I heard shady things about him and problems with some of the players he treated for both the Pats and Sox.

Great

I got sick of seeing this idiot's receded horse-shoe hairline every time he'd walk alongside our injured players to the dressing room, 500 times last year.

On top of that, I heard shady things about him and problems with some of the players he treated for both the Pats and Sox.

I'll take the bait. I'm hooked on this thread. There's something fishy in all the tales about Dr Gill.

There should be two threads for these two topics, one on the surgery (which is about the doctor) and one on the infection (which is about the hospital). Smurgling the two only extends the misinformation that the surgeon is likely to have had something to do with the infection.

Since he chose an invasive procedure over a proven procedure used for centuries where is the misinformation?

Since he chose an invasive procedure over a proven procedure used for centuries where is the misinformation?

right here:

I've discussed this with top tier orthopedic surgeons, Olympic team doctors. In most cases surgery is the best choice.

I suggest reading this for some general information.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00584

I don't have specific information for Gronkowski's injury, that is privileged medical information, but from the mechanism there is a good chance it is an ulnar shaft fracture, in which case it would be medically negligent not to operate, given the resources available.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/feb11/clinical4.asp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick