PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Stock: JJ McCarthy Game Manager to 2nd Overall

Bourne Patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just trying to understand something here - As is my recollection, McCarthy was perceived as a game manager throughout his college career, as well as directly following the Championship game. (people were memeing him as the guy who does nothing on the group project and still gets an A etc).

And since then, he hasn't taken another snap - but somehow has jumped ahead of a bunch of QBs who were rated way above him during, and directly after the season.

So are teams really thinking that a few nice throws in shorts are enough to elevate him to be 2 overall in the draft? He was a 2nd (some outlets 3rd) round guy just a few weeks ago IIRC.

Is this a classic situation where the media hypes up a new prospect from week to week, because they've gotten bored talking about the last guy?

I remember reading that "draft stock" is really just something that exists in the eyes of the media. ie NFL teams more or less already know who sits where as they've scouted them for years, and only character/injury concerns that emerge last minute can cause major plummets.

Maybe he was always a first round talent, and the media just learned it.. I am interested to hear what other people think about the "draft stock" concept!

He could become a very good QB but he didn't have to do much on his team in college. And that's not necessarily his fault but I'd be very hesitant to spend such a high pick on him considering that. The other guys have had to take on greater responsibility on their teams.

McCarthy won the National Championship game so the hype is going to grow for him. Looks like a risky pick to me. No thanks to Mac Jones 2.0 who also won the National Championship before he got drafted by the Patriots at #15 overall.

People who were doing their homework have been higher on McCarthy for a little while. 2 overall is a bit rich but he makes sense as a top 10 prospect due to long term upside potential. His combine performance did help his stock as it put his athleticism on paper and showed that he has been working on things that are important - he put on some weight, he showed a tweaked throwing motion, etc. I also understand that he interviewed very well. These are all things that raise a guy’s stock, but not to a meteoric degree. In all likelihood he was probably still a mid to late 1st rounder in December/January and has just risen around 10-15 slots after some good off the field showings and teams doing more homework.

Could be great, solid, average, back up or bust like the rest of them.

This whole draft process has become too much sometimes. I remember buying magazines or newspapers with mocks and player rankings back in the day. Used to love profootball weekly as a must read. Simpler times are sometimes a lot more enjoyable. Little more naive but fun.

Moving on with the times and the internet. Unreal of all the info available to fans, I’m careful about highlight reels because that’s everything good that player has done throughout 13 or 14 games that season. Sometimes I just want to see the simple things. Usually will watch “the every snap” so you can focus on players mechanics,
tendencies and adaptations. Have a great streaming service for college games and pretty much watch any of them. Watched a lot of everything but really enjoyed the Pac 12 this year with Washington and Oregon. Normally watch Sec.

It just seems sometimes people put **** out and people run with it without doing their own homework on said player and lazy fans that follow the draft for 1 month a year, eat it up like sheep.

If you go back to January where half the draft forum was clamoring for Michael Penix after the Texas win, you’d think He was the next Brett Favre. Half the media was suggesting he moved in to the top 10 and some even mentioning 3 to the Pats. A week goes by and Michigan happens. Now he’s a possible 1st round talent, more mocked in the 2nd by most. You know who they weren’t talking about after that game? JJ McCarthy. Consensus 2nd or possibly 3rd round.

Personally I like McCarthy, his workouts were good, he did well and he had the balls to actually go out there and prove himself unlike the big 3 who cowardly accepted the invite just to talk to teams. Load of crap, don’t respond if you are going to defend their cowardice and come up with some “business” excuse. It took away from 3 players out there that would of died for that chance. Hope rhe NCAA squashes that next year.

Tbh, I’m looking forward to this draft being over and just seeing who is coming aboard to right the ship. It’s been a draft season like none we’ve seen in awhile. Maybe since Seymour or the year they traded down and picked Mayo and had the other stolen by good*****. The Patriots drafted 28-32 for so many years, you pretty much knew those big big names would be gone. Accept the Year we got Wilfork. That felt like a top 10 pick.

This whole top 5 is a lot different than what we’re used to. Anyway, I’m tired, babbling and pretty much talking to myself.

People who were doing their homework have been higher on McCarthy for a little while. 2 overall is a bit rich but he makes sense as a top 10 prospect due to long term upside potential. His combine performance did help his stock as it put his athleticism on paper and showed that he has been working on things that are important - he put on some weight, he showed a tweaked throwing motion, etc. I also understand that he interviewed very well. These are all things that raise a guy’s stock, but not to a meteoric degree. In all likelihood he was probably still a mid to late 1st rounder in December/January and has just risen around 10-15 slots after some good off the field showings and teams doing more homework.
Thanks, it makes a bit more sense now. Coincidentally, I just saw a clip of Lombardi answering this exact question about McCarthys stock.

He said part of it is possibly due to the Arizona Cardinals, his agent and Harbaugh helping his predraft buzz.

I hope JJ does go #2 overall. That's great news for the Pats.

Could be great, solid, average, back up or bust like the rest of them.

This whole draft process has become too much sometimes. I remember buying magazines or newspapers with mocks and player rankings back in the day. Used to love profootball weekly as a must read. Simpler times are sometimes a lot more enjoyable. Little more naive but fun.

Moving on with the times and the internet. Unreal of all the info available to fans, I’m careful about highlight reels because that’s everything good that player has done throughout 13 or 14 games that season. Sometimes I just want to see the simple things. Usually will watch “the every snap” so you can focus on players mechanics,
tendencies and adaptations. Have a great streaming service for college games and pretty much watch any of them. Watched a lot of everything but really enjoyed the Pac 12 this year with Washington and Oregon. Normally watch Sec.

It just seems sometimes people put **** out and people run with it without doing their own homework on said player and lazy fans that follow the draft for 1 month a year, eat it up like sheep.

If you go back to January where half the draft forum was clamoring for Michael Penix after the Texas win, you’d think He was the next Brett Favre. Half the media was suggesting he moved in to the top 10 and some even mentioning 3 to the Pats. A week goes by and Michigan happens. Now he’s a possible 1st round talent, more mocked in the 2nd by most. You know who they weren’t talking about after that game? JJ McCarthy. Consensus 2nd or possibly 3rd round.

Personally I like McCarthy, his workouts were good, he did well and he had the balls to actually go out there and prove himself unlike the big 3 who cowardly accepted the invite just to talk to teams. Load of crap, don’t respond if you are going to defend their cowardice and come up with some “business” excuse. It took away from 3 players out there that would of died for that chance. Hope rhe NCAA squashes that next year.

Tbh, I’m looking forward to this draft being over and just seeing who is coming aboard to right the ship. It’s been a draft season like none we’ve seen in awhile. Maybe since Seymour or the year they traded down and picked Mayo and had the other stolen by good*****. The Patriots drafted 28-32 for so many years, you pretty much knew those big big names would be gone. Accept the Year we got Wilfork. That felt like a top 10 pick.

This whole top 5 is a lot different than what we’re used to. Anyway, I’m tired, babbling and pretty much talking to myself.
Yeah I find it crazy that after the bad game Penix had in the Championship, he dropped way down the rankings overnight.

Penix was the main reason the Huskies had an undefeated regular season, it would almost be like judging Eli Manning as better than Tom Brady in 2007 after the whole season, just because he beat him in the Superbowl. Like you said, media and fans are very reactive.

why does he look like a typical frat guy

Just trying to understand something here - As is my recollection, McCarthy was perceived as a game manager throughout his college career, as well as directly following the Championship game. (people were memeing him as the guy who does nothing on the group project and still gets an A etc).

And since then, he hasn't taken another snap - but somehow has jumped ahead of a bunch of QBs who were rated way above him during, and directly after the season.

So are teams really thinking that a few nice throws in shorts are enough to elevate him to be 2 overall in the draft? He was a 2nd (some outlets 3rd) round guy just a few weeks ago IIRC.

Is this a classic situation where the media hypes up a new prospect from week to week, because they've gotten bored talking about the last guy?

I remember reading that "draft stock" is really just something that exists in the eyes of the media. ie NFL teams more or less already know who sits where as they've scouted them for years, and only character/injury concerns that emerge last minute can cause major plummets.

Maybe he was always a first round talent, and the media just learned it.. I am interested to hear what other people think about the "draft stock" concept!

I think he has tools NFL front offices and coaches like to see in QB prospects, but he’s the riskiest of the top 4 because it’s all projection, and not production.

Yeah I find it crazy that after the bad game Penix had in the Championship, he dropped way down the rankings overnight.

Penix was the main reason the Huskies had an undefeated regular season, it would almost be like judging Eli Manning as better than Tom Brady in 2007 after the whole season, just because he beat him in the Superbowl. Like you said, media and fans are very reactive.

Penix has torn both ACL’s. The last player the Patriots drafted with that medical history was Dominique Easely. I would double dip with him in the 3rd round, but no way in hell am I taking a guy who has blown out both knees in college with a high pick,

I hope JJ does go #2 overall. That's great news for the Pats.

Agree completely. That gives them their choice between Maye and Daniels.

What I see when I watch Mahomes is a guy playing quarterback like he’s an NBA point guard just making easy passe, but who can get you the first down with his legs whenever he needs to: that’s the same type of play I see from Daniels. I’m not saying he’s going to be Mahomes anymore than I think Mayecwill become Brady, but stylistically it’s similar. I still think the best comp for Daniels is Randall Cunningham,

Last edited:
Agree completely. That gives them their choice between Maye and Daniels.

What I see when I watch Mahomes is a guy playing quarterback like he’s an NBA point guard just making easy passe, but who can get you the first down with his legs whenever he needs to: that’s Alamo the type of play I see from Daniels. I’m not saying he’s going to be Mahomes anymore than I think Mayecwill become Brady, but stylistically it’s similar. I still think the best comp for Daniels is Randall Cunningham,
And I see a great athlete who makes some great throws but takes over the game with his legs. Mahomes is a great qb who uses his legs to buy himself more time to throw . Very different qbs and I believe that of the top 4 Daniel’s is the least ready with the lowest floor of all 4. Unless you are a big fantasy football fan.

QB desperation without the ability to see the future will create media buzz because the talking heads must be appeased.

Thanks, it makes a bit more sense now. Coincidentally, I just saw a clip of Lombardi answering this exact question about McCarthys stock.

He said part of it is possibly due to the Arizona Cardinals, his agent and Harbaugh helping his predraft buzz.
Yeah, a lot of people are fooled by Harbaugh saying he's the number 1 QB in the draft and all that. I see mock drafts where people take that quote and say "Well, he'll probably trade us Herbert then and draft his guy McCarthy!"

No... if he loved him that much do you think he would say it so obviously? That would just lead someone to take the guy ahead of him. Which - is actually his true intention. He and the Chargers WANT McCarthy to go in the top 4, since the Chargers pick at 5 - which lets Marvin Harrison Jr fall into their laps, the consensus best non-QB prospect in the entire draft.

I remember buying magazines or newspapers with mocks and player rankings back in the day. Used to love profootball weekly as a must read. Simpler times are sometimes a lot more enjoyable.
Yes. That made me remember Will McDonough in the Globe with his first round projection the day of the draft. He’d call each front office and get their intended pick several days in advance.

He usually nailed it.

Yeah somehow his stock skyrocketed while mayes has plummeted without either playing a single game. It’s funny when we fell from 2 to 3 the last couple weeks of the regular season i was hearing lots of talk that we played our way out on the caleb/drake tier, then the clear #2 became jayden with nobody wanting drake anymore, now they’re trying to make it jj. All well after the college season ended. its all games, just hope we don’t fall for it and take jj over one of the others.

Yeah, a lot of people are fooled by Harbaugh saying he's the number 1 QB in the draft and all that. I see mock drafts where people take that quote and say "Well, he'll probably trade us Herbert then and draft his guy McCarthy!"

No... if he loved him that much do you think he would say it so obviously? That would just lead someone to take the guy ahead of him. Which - is actually his true intention. He and the Chargers WANT McCarthy to go in the top 4, since the Chargers pick at 5 - which lets Marvin Harrison Jr fall into their laps, the consensus best non-QB prospect in the entire draft.
I find it amusing how when Harbaugh speaks, and he's said a lot, nobody says he needs to stfu. When Mayo talks, it's a totally different take. I wonder why that is. Just the other day Harbaugh was saying the OL is the most important unit, basically saying they're going T with #5. Not a peep from the HC critics for being outspoken.

I find it amusing how when Harbaugh speaks, and he's said a lot, nobody says he needs to stfu. When Mayo talks, it's a totally different take. I wonder why that is. Just the other day Harbaugh was saying the OL is the most important unit, basically saying they're going T with #5. Not a peep from the HC critics for being outspoken.
Yeah, he's said McCarthy is a super genius amazing wonderkid who is the best in the class, and that tackles are so important and he's gonna take a tackle at 5.

Meanwhile look at his roster. He's dumped almost all of his WRs in a class with 3 really premier WR1s at the top.

Do we really think he loves McCarthy so much and is really telegraphing his pick, or is he maybe trying to push other teams to take QBs and tackles so that the WRs fall a pick or two if he trades down?

Slight edit for accuracy. You don't the qualifier. Harrison's the best player in the draft, bar none.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back