PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fun Historical Patriots Fact

Way before my time, but I do remember always seeing this clip whenever the team had a good season. 1985, in particular, you would see a montage of "whacky loser franchise" moments on NBC pregame in the playoffs. Was this the year the franchise would finally shake free from its past? This clip, the snowplow incident, and all the others would be in there.

The fan on defense was always my favorite. Can you imagine if there was social media then, and that play was allowed to stand?

Way before my time, but I do remember always seeing this clip whenever the team had a good season. 1985, in particular, you would see a montage of "whacky loser franchise" moments on NBC pregame in the playoffs. Was this the year the franchise would finally shake free from its past? This clip, the snowplow incident, and all the others would be in there.

The fan on defense was always my favorite. Can you imagine if there was social media then, and that play was allowed to stand?
It was cool but the Snowplow game was my favorite. Watching ahole Shula going apoplectic and damn near having a coronary was awesome.

Damn, that would cost the Patriots 1M in fines, a first and third from the upcoming draft and a second in the draft after by today's standards.

Thanks Ian. I was an 8 yr old kid but I remember that. A lot of wacky things happened when Billy Sullivan owned the team.
If I recall correctly, people thought the fan on the field was Billy Sullivan and he famously never denied it.

If I recall correctly, people thought the fan on the field was Billy Sullivan and he famously never denied it.

OFC we thought it was Billy. Who else would it be? Pat was too young and Chuckles was too fat

Not sure if this is that same guy, but there is a story of 2 Pats fans going to a game way back when. One of the guys gets up from his seat from watching the game. Lots of time has passed and the guy that stayed in his seat is wondering what happened to his pal.

Then he looks back on the field and his buddy is playing for Pats.

Not sure if this is that same guy, but there is a story of 2 Pats fans going to a game way back when. One of the guys gets up from his seat from watching the game. Lots of time has passed and the guy that stayed in his seat is wondering what happened to his pal.

Then he looks back on the field and his buddy is playing for Pats.

Off the top of my head, I believe the story you're recalling is that of Bob "Harpo" Gladieux from the late '60s - early '70s...?

Off the top of my head, I believe the story you're recalling is that of Bob "Harpo" Gladieux from the late '60s - early '70s...?
Correct. But the story gets better. Harpo had been cut the day before but decided to attend the game as a fan with a buddy.
He admitted he was drunk as a skunk by halftime. He left his seat to get more beer and while waiting in line heard the stadium PA announcer say" Bob Gladieux please report to the Patriots locker room immediately ". So he did. He never went back to tell his buddy so next time his friend saw was when Harpo was announced as entering the game.
Apparently injuries in the first half left the Pats with no more running backs.
I have no idea how he performed being drunk at all.

Correct. But the story gets better. Harpo had been cut the day before but decided to attend the game as a fan with a buddy.
He admitted he was drunk as a skunk by halftime. He left his seat to get more beer and while waiting in line heard the stadium PA announcer say" Bob Gladieux please report to the Patriots locker room immediately ". So he did. He never went back to tell his buddy so next time his friend saw was when Harpo was announced as entering the game.
Apparently injuries in the first half left the Pats with no more running backs.
I have no idea how he performed being drunk at all.

If he performed as well as Doc Ellis did while on acid, then I'll take it!

I don't remember the particular game or year even, though I do remember it was a nice fall afternoon so maybe October, but I'll never forget Gil Santos describing a KO or Punt return by the other team: "And there's Harpo hanging on for dear life!" I miss Gil & Gino...

May be.

As it went he was in a Pat's uniform and I seem to recall that he was paged over the sound system.

He didn't enter the (Harvard?) stadium in a Pats uni, but he left it in one...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back