PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great job on FA day one! Pleased with the front office.

Resigning a few solid pieces and jettisoning the flotsam gives me some hope for the distant future.
But setting my pom poms aside for honest reflection.....As of 8:14am on Day 2 of free agency the team has not upgraded any position that will impact game day.

With pom poms back in hand and popcorn ready, let's hope Wolf and company can convince at least one foundation piece-ish free agent to come to sunny NE.
Foundational pieces are very rarely found in Free Agency. You have draft foundational pieces in this day and age.

so guys are "pleased" that the Patriots resigned a swing tackle/guard, a third receiver, retained Duggar, signed a cheap third down back, and signed a QB with an 18-30 record as a starter. guess people don't want to win games and make the playoffs anymore. the Patriots had a bottom 5 roster talent-wise in 2023...that has not changed.
The team is still without a left tackle, starting quality quarterback, a legitimate NFL wide receiver...but, go ahead, keep being "pleased".
The way their approaching this off-season makes one think Krafty Bob is A OK with another 16 ppg season and top 10 pick ...

so guys are "pleased" that the Patriots resigned a swing tackle/guard, a third receiver, retained Duggar, signed a cheap third down back, and signed a QB with an 18-30 record as a starter. guess people don't want to win games and make the playoffs anymore. the Patriots had a bottom 5 roster talent-wise in 2023...that has not changed.
The team is still without a left tackle, starting quality quarterback, a legitimate NFL wide receiver...but, go ahead, keep being "pleased".
The way their approaching this off-season makes one think Krafty Bob is A OK with another 16 ppg season and top 10 pick ...
It's not even the new league year yet. The draft is next month. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

As of 8:14am on Day 2 of free agency the team has not upgraded any position that will impact game day.

Better 3rd-down back, better QB.

But this is clearly intended to be a 2-3 year rebuild. The roster was a mess - no way you can fix it in one year. They kept the key guys they needed - Onwenu, Dugger, Henry, Bourne. A middling and expensive WR1 from FA isn't going to get us to the playoffs and doesn't build for the future.

I like what they have done, but this is not the final roster.. cannot rebuild this roster with 2 or 3 high priced players, too many holes to do that..
Thought all along they need to somehow replicate what has always worked for this team in the past great QB, decent RB's, a pass receiving RB, great TE and decent WR's.. Antonio looks a lot like James White and Kevin Faulk, that has been missing from this offense.
This is a process and many more moves before TC..

Which QB did you want that you wouldn’t have also complained about?

My 1 complaint is that I would have brought back Wilson.
I LOVE the fact that they cut Parker, that guy is a flat out bum.

Net net I'm loving this offseason so far.

I did not like signing Gibson. There were much better options. Otherwise it was good even though we overpaid for Onwenu.

We need another OL and WR. I don't trust us to get WR right in the draft.
Who were better options? I love it when people just ***** about something, but don't give any kind of alternative. Not that it matters because the move was made, but I for one am interested in what other people would do.

Have we started getting rid of rubbish... yep
Are we still signing average... yep
Have we improved on last year's roster... nope
Day 1 4/10

We need a unique word for complaining and criticizing player acquisitions without offering an alternative. That word should communicate that doing so is like farting in an elevator. It feels good to the person doing it but degrades everyone else's experience.

We need a unique word for complaining and criticizing player acquisitions without offering an alternative. That word should communicate that doing so is like farting in an elevator. It feels good to the person doing it but degrades everyone else's experience.
You can complain without offering alternatives. It's a valid thing to do.

Sure, complains carry more weight when you do offer alternatives but just saying "No, I don't like that" is valid.

I did not like signing Gibson. There were much better options. Otherwise it was good even though we overpaid for Onwenu.

We need another OL and WR. I don't trust us to get WR right in the draft.

I didn't see a RB on the FA list that I would have paid for, at the market rate. Would rather have an average 3rd down back who is hungry for his next contract and that leaves cash for other acquisitions, than an aging superstar for whom this is the final big contract.

Maybe next year, or the year after, is the time to get that guy, if needed, once the other pieces are in place and if the drafted QB is a success (a 50/50 likelihood).

Eagles going all in Great Signing they are going opt be tough they have the WR's already.
Eagles have to go all in as their vets age out. We're not nearly there yet.

Have we started getting rid of rubbish... yep
Are we still signing average... yep
Have we improved on last year's roster... nope
Day 1 4/10
There's the old saying, addition by subtraction.

Overall it feels like we're more engaged in FA than we were in past years where we needed to wait a few days for the team to do its bottom feeding (except for the Agholor/Smith/Henry drunken binge year).

I would say the players aren't impact players, but every team needs good middle-class players to provide depth.

If you want to see the opposite of that, look at how the Jets keep swinging and missing on 'impact players' during FA and end up with no depth.

I agree with the point above that the place to find impact players is the draft.

We have good draft position this season, I hope it brings us a few quality starters.

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what this front office does without BB in the room, it is pretty much all the same people except for BB.

My 1 complaint is that I would have brought back Wilson.
What are you talking about?
They offered Wilson a highly competitive contract and he decided to test the market. That is the smart thing for him to do. He's going to attract interest after a solid season.
Doesn't mean he won't end up signing with the Pats.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back