PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hey Pats fans, I have some questions for you (motivation, preparation, etc)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't take your foot off the pedal in the NFL. All the teams who rested players the last couple weeks are now home for a really long rest.

The NFL is a difficult league, you constantly have to stay sharp and improve. You can't do that sitting on the bench watching the backups screw around.

also, BB is a big advocate of the book 'the art of war'

the key message taken?

all battles are won before they are fought.

BB's teams are always so well prepared, that they have an advantage over merely talented ones.

1. What are some of the key things that Belichick does to motivate this team? I mean does he have Parcells' control-freak, balls-busting attitude? Or is he laid-back in the sense that he lets his locker room leaders like Rodney and Teddy motivate, keep focused, and fire up the team on a daily basis, especially keeping them from "eating the cheese"?

Part of it is the players knowing who was in charge. BB will cut you. He just will. He's the boss. The rings help.

For a good example of his style, here's how he coached the ProBowl.
Last year, Belichick coached the Pro Bowl. As you guessed he took it too seriously. On Friday — a day normally reserved for a short practice and lots of beach time, Belichick gathered everyone together.

“I didn’t come all the way out here to get embarrassed,” he barked at the best players in professional football. Then, he had them practice their substitutions as if they were junior high kids. He yelled “punt team” and had the punt team run on the field. Field-goal team. Second-team offense. Faster. Again.

That insanity already tells you a lot about Belichick. But that’s not the story. No, the story comes from the game itself and involves Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez. As you know there are no role players in the Pro Bowl. It’s a game of stars. That means some stars have to do some grunt work. Every year, coaches put Gonzalez — now a nine-time Pro Bowler — on the kickoff return team.

“I don’t know why they keep doing that,” Gonzalez says.

Nobody knows, but one of the byproducts is that Gonzalez’s family and friends get to laugh hysterically. It is one of the highlights of their Hawaii trip, watching Gonzalez look helpless and try his best to avoid contact on the kickoff team. Hey, come on, the Pro Bowl is a reward. Everybody says so. Nobody goes there to get hurt blocking on kickoffs.

So, first kickoff, Gonzalez stood back, the kick flew over his head, and he sort of looked for someone to block. Someone ran around him and tackled the return man. Business as usual. Only there was Belichick. He did not look at Gonzalez. He stared grimly at the field — you know that Belichick look. He did not even seem aware of Gonzalez’s existence.

Then, as Tony ran by, Belichick said this: “Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody, Gonzalez.”

Gonzalez turned to look. Was that Bill Belichick? Was he joking? Belichick had the most disgusted look on his face. He still would not look at Gonzalez.

“It’s like I was a piece of dirt,” Gonzalez would say.

It was beyond imagination. Belichick had cursed at Tony Gonzalez, the best tight end in football, for missing a block. In a Pro Bowl game. On the kickoff return team. This would be like, what, your boss coming up to you at your Sales Person of the Year party and swearing at you because your shoes aren’t right for the occasion.

Gonzalez was mad. Hopping mad. Who in the heck did Bill Belichick think he was anyway? Gonzalez was no kid. He’d played for four different coaches. He knew how they acted. But still … the gall of this guy. Didn’t he have any idea how hard Gonzalez worked to get here to the Pro Bowl. For what? To get treated like that?

Gonzalez stewed, grumbled, kept looking over at that coach. Next kickoff, Gonzalez went out there, and he was still enraged. He didn’t need this. The ball was kicked over his head, and Gonzalez saw the defender coming hard, and … you bet. Gonzalez clocked him. Took him out.

Then, Gonzalez was sure to walk by Belichick. Yeah, what do you have to say now, Mr. Genius? Again Belichick did not even look Gonzalez’s way. Stared straight at the field. That’s right. Tony walked, and Belichick did not say a word. And then, with Gonzalez almost out of range, Belichick barely whispered: “Nice block.”

“How did you feel when he said that?” I asked Gonzalez. He looked sheepish. He’s almost 32 years old. He will soon own every meaningful tight-end record there is. He should have long ago stopped worrying much about what coaches thought of him, especially other teams’ coaches.

“I felt really good,” he admitted.

“So you’re saying that seven words from Bill Belichick got you to block hard on the kickoff unit at the Pro Bowl?” I asked.

Sometimes you get to the heart of something without even trying. Gonzalez smiled and summed up the story that may explain why Bill Belichick is the best around.

“Hey,” Gonzalez said. “I’m coachable.”

BB doesn't scream. He doesn't try to intimidate the players by being louder than them. But he doesn't sugarcoat things. The best adjective I could apply to his disparaging comments to players? Withering.

1. What are some of the key things that Belichick does to motivate this team? I mean does he have Parcells' control-freak, balls-busting attitude? Or is he laid-back in the sense that he lets his locker room leaders like Rodney and Teddy motivate, keep focused, and fire up the team on a daily basis, especially keeping them from "eating the cheese"?

He treats them like adults and holds them accountable for their actions. He makes it clear that nobody on the team is beyond reproach or is bigger than the team. He constantly preaches the 'everyone who wears a uniform is a shareholder in the team's success' mantra and then backs it up by finding ways to use the players on his roster and get solid contributions out of them.

In short he treats them and expects them to act like grown men and gives them a role on the team which is viewed as important.

2. If the going gets rough during the season where there's losses, how often would Belichick have his team practice in pads? And what other things does he do?

Tough question because I don't have any real way of quantifying when and how often the team has practiced in pads. Basically what I've observed is this: If the team is having trouble with fundamentals the pads come out and they get their asses kicked in practice working on them. If the team is banged up he'll go easier in training camp. There seems to be no real formula to it I think BB just tries to be sensitive to the state of the team and makes the best choice possible. If they are losing because they are dog tired whipping their ass in practice isn't going to help.

3. In terms of the kind of talent Pioli and Belichick go after, aside from them being TALENTED, how do they scout the mentality and discipline of players? Just curious-b/c since Bill P came, it seems to me that while alot of them are very talented, they also seem to be undisciplined(i.e. Brady James, Patrick Crayton, Roy Williams, Jacques Reeves, etc).

Discipline is overrated. Football as a priority is the #1 thing they look for. If football is a priority in someone's life, second only to religion/family, then they are going to be on the Patriots' draft board. If getting paid or getting reps and stats is deemed to be the player's priority then no amount of talent or discipline is going to have them giving it their all during the dog days of training camp or during a really grueling defensive stand late in the season.

After determining how much of a priority football is the next factors are intelligence and maturity.

Anyhow-alot of the arguments that we keep bringing up is 1) Wade's laid-back approach ended up letting the players by into their own hype, and continued to not doing anything about it, 2) It's NOT Wade's fault, we don't have any "neanderthals" who constantly get into peoples' faces and emerge as firey leaders on the team(and FWIW-even Wade said in his PC that "He knows the changes that need to be made), 3) If you think it's Wade's fault for the team's lack of discipline, then why did we have this problem with Parcells?

Lack of discipline is primarily an issue with a coach's ability to exert his control over the lockerroom to shape a certain team culture. A coach who is on his way out or at least essentially guaranteed to be out of there before a star player is going to have a hard time getting that star player to buy into the program.

I love TO's effort on the field but professional football players aren't wide-eyed kids on Bobby Knight's Texas Tech team. A high profile player is a bigger name and gets paid more money than basically any coach. What can Bill Parcells do to TO to make him shut up and play ball? Not much in the end other than hurt his team but taking away his reps in the game or taking advantage of any clauses in the player's contract that are available, which are typically few and far between when talking about something as subjective as 'discipline'.

In the end I don't think a lack of discipline was the cause for the team's choke job, the Giants played a heck of a game and Tony Romo was distracted as hell by all that stupid off the field stuff. Plus Crayton dropped balls he flat out should have caught. Considering his big mouth it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Thank You for all the input, everyone. I've really heard alot of insight(even more than I expected) on how championship teams work.

If y'all don't mind, I'm going to post some of your quotes on Cowboys Zone when we continue our discussion on Wade/discipline/needing the right players, etc tomorrow.

Have a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday