PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian Rapoport: Bill Belichick's fate not yet decided, how rest of season goes will determine direction

From Aaron Schatz: "Other very conservative coaches included ... Bill Belichick, whose career has been very strange in this area. As we’ve written about in the past, Belichick was one of the most aggressive coaches in the league year after year back when the league as a whole was much less aggressive. He inexplicably became much less aggressive on fourth downs around 2012, strange timing because it doesn’t fit the two most common explanations for why Belichick became less aggressive. It wasn’t timed to the failed fourth-and-2 against Indianapolis on a big Sunday night game in 2009, and it wasn’t timed to the departure of Tom Brady which of course made it harder for the Patriots to convert in any situation, much less fourth down."

[I will add that it also roughly corresponded to Gostkowski ascending to God mode and the Patriots finally having a good punter in Mesko/Allen.]
The facts and statistics don’t back that up.

Choosing the wrong QB is a GM decision, a GM identifies the talent or lack there of on this roster. He's an unquestionably 1st ballot HOF coach the best to ever do it. He's a below average GM.
Sure it is and the success rate in the first round alone is poor, and the 5th Qb taken is even poorer.
He built the greatest dynasty in the history of the sport. That thoroughly overwhelms missing on a qb.
Name anyone who has ever been better.

I respect Kraft for nor being a meddlesome owner with BB. He stuck by him in Spygate & Butler benching. He reportedly allowed Bill to have final say on the Brady matter. However, loyalty is a fine trait until it isn't. Sometimes you need to make tough decisions.
i'm a huge bb girl but he shouldn't be kept out of loyalty. this is business,a production,performance business. if he has made enough decisions the krafts dislike then it's time for them to make that call. i personally don't think a team continuing to play hard at their ****ty record can be ignored. the d is still well coached and playing well considering all they are dealing with (bad positions created by the o,injuries)i'd say the offense has improved in that they aren't getting as many ****ty penalties. but i still think the o needs some better coaching and players. if the krafts like the plan bb has to fix that,i can see him staying.

Sure it is and the success rate in the first round alone is poor, and the 5th Qb taken is even poorer.
He built the greatest dynasty in the history of the sport. That thoroughly overwhelms missing on a qb.
Name anyone who has ever been better.
Brady made up for a large part of the misses plenty of them from '01 to '19.

He played a part in building the greatest dynasty.. need the owners, the coach and the QB.. we had all 3. Him being a bottom ranked GM takes nothing away from his success. Please don't get that confused. I'm just calling it like it is.

Brady made up for a large part of the misses plenty of them from '01 to '19.

He played a part in building the greatest dynasty.. need the owners, the coach and the QB.. we had all 3. Him being a bottom ranked GM takes nothing away from his success. Please don't get that confused. I'm just calling it like it is.
He was the decision maker in building the greatest dynasty ever.

You failed to name someone better, for obvious reasons

i'm a huge bb girl but he shouldn't be kept out of loyalty. this is business,a production,performance business. if he has made enough decisions the krafts dislike then it's time for them to make that call. i personally don't think a team continuing to play hard at their ****ty record can be ignored. the d is still well coached and playing well considering all they are dealing with (bad positions created by the o,injuries)i'd say the offense has improved in that they aren't getting as many ****ty penalties. but i still think the o needs some better coaching and players. if the krafts like the plan bb has to fix that,i can see him staying.
I agree they are playing hard. He hasn't lost the room. That said...

Salary should not be everything. But I'd expect more out of the QB making 50 million per year vs the one making peanuts. And Bill makes 25 million per year. Kraft has not been getting a return on his investment for 5 plus years now. An investment Kraft stuck by when other coaches would have been fired for any one of: Spygate, Butler benching & hiring Patricia/Judge.

You failed to name someone better, for obvious r
You keep mentioning was.. past tense.. yes he was.

You failed to name someone better, for obvious reasons
It's not his, or anyone's job, to name someone better. I'm sure there's plenty of coaches who can do better than three wins after 15 weeks. Other teams are able to hire successful coaches. Kraft can too. Interview them. Get info on them. Hire the right guy.

You keep mentioning was.. past tense.. yes he was.
Yep

I've heard before "Who will be better than Bill?"

That's for Kraft to decide after doing his due diligence. Like every other organization has done.

You don't keep a guy because the next guy might be worse. Just like you don't pass up drafting a QB because they may be worse than what you have...

It's not his, or anyone's job, to name someone better. I'm sure there's plenty of coaches who can do better than three wins after 15 weeks. Other teams are able to hire successful coaches. Kraft can too. Interview them. Get info on them. Hire the right guy.
If he disagrees that belichick is the best ever, he should be able to name someone better. He can’t because he knows it’s not true.
He has the right guy.

Well said. Bill has had for 23 season for thr most part full autonomy on roster decisions. The Job of a GM is to build the roster, and keep the team competitive. At his age he isn't going to change. We all know he was great, what he did for the organization we are all greatful for. How we need talent! Some one at the GM position that correctly identify talent.

If he disagrees that belichick is the best ever, he should be able to name someone better. He can’t because he knows it’s not true.
He has the right guy.
Your still not mentioning how great a GM he has been as of late? Your living in the past just like he is.

Well said. Bill has had for 23 season for thr most part full autonomy on roster decisions. The Job of a GM is to build the roster, and keep the team competitive. At his age he isn't going to change. We all know he was great, what he did for the organization we are all greatful for. How we need talent! Some one at the GM position that correctly identify talent.
He either accepts his position as HC only or leaves imo. If I were the new GM coming in with Bill as HC, I'd want it written out in my contract that I get final say on all draft and FA picks.

Bill has had four years post Brady. The team is worse than ever.

He either accepts his position as HC only or leaves imo. If I were the new GM coming in with Bill as HC, I'd want it written out in my contract that I get final say on all draft and FA picks.

Bill has had four years post Brady. The team is worse than ever.
Agreed. We know Bill is a prideful guy. He won't stay under those terms. This roster as I've said is equivalent to a practice squad especially offensively.

John lynch
Howie Rosman

Need I say more...
Combined they have 16.6% as many SBs as Belichick. Yes you need to say more to defend your argument.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back