PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: Moral victory, or Lost opportunity....

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Missed opportunity all the way. We’re not the Cardinals who would be ecstatic to compete with any good team or the 07 Eagles who nearly upset the Patriots juggernaut being 21 point underdogs, we are a .500ish team since Brady left that needs to learn how to win close games and we fell short again.
honestly it was worst this time. We were in a hole but came back before the half with the ball to start the 2nd half. We had multiple opportunity in the 3rd quarter to take control of this game but we did nothing. We had so much more opportunities to win this game compare to the last 2 years and we still fell short.

Except it's not his second year... it's his third season... despite the offense clusterhump that was last year's offensive experiment he still played, still faced those same exact situations... and is still coming up small in big spots... we have to make a decision about Mac Jones at the end of this season... we don't have the luxury of pretending it's year two...
All things considered.. I with the patchwork O line, rookies being thrown into the water as BB said. IMO the eagles are probably the most talented team on both sides of the ball we will see all season. This has to do so much for the confidence of Mac and the offense. The defense was phenomenal. Pretty much held Philly in check most of the game. I'm content with going with the rookies at WR then continuing to hope Parker and Thornton stay healthy. We shot our selfves in the foot and gave eagles points.

You right Mac is going to have to do better with taking advantage of the opportunity the defense gives him.

Missed opportunity all the way. We’re not the Cardinals who would be ecstatic to compete with any good team or the 07 Eagles who nearly upset the Patriots juggernaut being 21 point underdogs, or even a Pats team not getting the doors blown off when Brady came to town in a Bucs uniform….those would be moral victories. We’re a .500ish team since Brady left that needs to learn how to win close games and we fell short again.

It is a missed opportunity for sure. But after last year where the Pats couldn't compete with good teams, it is a positive sign that they took the Eagles to the wire and could have won if not for several fixable things. We still have 16 games to go. The Pats showed in week one that they could go toe to toe with a Super Bowl contender. That is far more than most people around the country and even here thought was possible. Many people thought this was going to be an Eagles blowout especially after the first quarter.

If the Pats don't build on this promise, then it was clearly a missed opportunity with nothing to show for it. If they build on this, then they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs and maybe the division and may be even doing some damage in the playoffs. That is what I am focusing on right now.

Did Mac really come up small? Fourth and 11 on the Philly 20 with about 30 seconds left down by 5 with a time out left, Mac throws a perfect 12 yard pass to Boutte who doesn't drag his back foot and end up making an incompletion. If Boutte did what most WR would do in that situation, the Pats would have had first and goal on the eight with 27 second left. They were in perfect opportunity to have Jones lead a last second game winning drive. They may not have. But Jones made a big time play in a critical situation which failed because of someone else other than him.

You can't say he came up small when someone else's mistake ended the drive. Mac was robbed of the chance to show whether he could make a statement drive. He may have ultimately came up small in the first and goal series, but it wasn't his fault he didn't have that opportunity.

I will tell you this. If Parker was playing (Boutte was playing the X in his loss), he wouldn't have worked the sidelines far better than Boutte did. Boutte is a rookie in his first game. So I don't want to come down hard on him, but he is the one who came up small at the end of the game.
Within the last two minutes, our final drive, did you have any confidence in Mac leading the team down the field to score? I didn't... and that's exactly what happened... nothing... that's coming up small...

fair or unfair, it falls on the QBs shoulders... and I'm tired of being fair in regards to Mac Jones... he's got to prove he can lead the team to victory... and he's failed miserably at that time and again...

All things considered.. I with the patchwork O line, rookies being thrown into the water as BB said. IMO the eagles are probably the most talented team on both sides of the ball we will see all season. This has to do so much for the confidence of Mac and the offense. The defense was phenomenal. Pretty much held Philly in check most of the game. I'm content with going with the rookies at WR then continuing to hope Parker and Thornton stay healthy. We shot our selfves in the foot and gave eagles points.

You right Mac is going to have to do better with taking advantage of the opportunity the defense gives him.
Not all things considered... in the here and now, do you have any faith in Mac taking this team to the next level?

If the eagles are the most talented team in the league (i disagree, it's sf at the moment) then you see where we need to be, and we are miles from that...

Within the last two minutes, our final drive, did you have any confidence in Mac leading the team down the field to score? I didn't... and that's exactly what happened... nothing... that's coming up small...

fair or unfair, it falls on the QBs shoulders... and I'm tired of being fair in regards to Mac Jones... he's got to prove he can lead the team to victory... and he's failed miserably at that time and again...

He almost did. Again, Boutte drags the back foot and they are at first and goal with plenty of time to score. That isn't coming up small. The offense came up small, but cannot blame Mac for making a big time play that was negated by a mistake of another player.

And you are being unfair.

If Mac can start closing these then he will elevate the offense around him to be better in those moments instead of what we're seeing right now where the offense has to be better for him to be better.

There's a reason the GOAT was able to do what he did when it mattered most. His team believed. I'd love to see Mac's team believe too.

If Mac can start closing these then he will elevate the offense around him to be better in those moments instead of what we're seeing right now where the offense has to be better for him to be better.

There's a reason the GOAT was able to do what he did when it mattered most. His team believed. I'd love to see Mac's team believe too.
I would gladly print out my posts and eat my own words if he proves me wrong and is able to do that.

Reactions: sb1
Did Mac really come up small? Fourth and 11 on the Philly 20 with about 30 seconds left down by 5 with a time out left, Mac throws a perfect 12 yard pass to Boutte who doesn't drag his back foot and end up making an incompletion. If Boutte did what most WR would do in that situation, the Pats would have had first and goal on the eight with 27 second left. They were in perfect opportunity to have Jones lead a last second game winning drive. They may not have. But Jones made a big time play in a critical situation which failed because of someone else other than him.

You can't say he came up small when someone else's mistake ended the drive. Mac was robbed of the chance to show whether he could make a statement drive. He may have ultimately came up small in the first and goal series, but it wasn't his fault he didn't have that opportunity.

I will tell you this. If Parker was playing (Boutte was playing the X in his loss), he wouldn't have worked the sidelines far better than Boutte did. Boutte is a rookie in his first game. So I don't want to come down hard on him, but he is the one who came up small at the end of the game.
Mac was fine today but I saw the same QB I’ve seen for the past two seasons, which isn’t good enough to compete deep into the postseason.

Most certainly not a game where Jones covered himself in glory, although as I said, he was fine and others were also far from perfect.

Accurate, great touch throwing the ball … and that’s about it. Still has too many bad throws, questionable decisions, times where he crumbles in the pocket due to perceived (but not real) pressure, too many ducks that float, too inconsistent and unsteady. I don’t see someone who’s mentally tough, I don’t see a natural leader, I continue to see bad footwork, mechanics, too many fluttering passes, a lack of poise (particularly in critical game situations, which is troubling).

Basically, he’s a physically limited QB with inconsistent mechanics, poor ball velocity, and a lack of maturity/poise. He just seems too emotionally unsteady, often seems to be thinking too much. I was really hoping we’d see a more steady, grounded, focused Mac who looks physically, emotionally, and mentally matured/developed, with improved mechanics/ball velocity. To my eye, he looks more or less like the same goofy kid he was as a rookie, which won’t cut it.

It’s only week 1, but this is the season that will determine Mac’s future with the team and I didn’t see much indicating he’s taken a step forward in any regard.

I always said - back when the Brady/Manning debate was a thing - that Manning was the better pure passer but Brady is the better quarterback. There’s much more to to being a great quarterback than just passing the ball; intangibles, leadership, decision making, poise, mental toughness, judgment, ability to adapt, ability to play well in inclement weather, etc. I unfortunately get the vibe Mac is a Manning at this point; a uniquely talented pure passer of a football, but doesn’t demonstrate many traits that are critical to success beyond that.

Last edited:
@Pape you want to be fair? Why not put some of the blame on Belichick the GM for leaving Mac with a makeshift o-line and no WR that teams fear. Belichick asks Mac to be Brady and elevate average players around him and he is not Brady. If Mac and Hurts traded receiving corps and o-lines yesterday, Mac might have thrown for five TDs and over 400 yards.

Well said, @patfanken

IMO it was both.

The simple fact that they fought back, moved the ball and shut down one of the best teams in the NFL after being absolutely putrid in Q1 was very encouraging. The offense looked like an actual NFL group and the D is going to keep them in games all year.

However....

Plain and simple they don't know how to win yet. They still had very, very stupid, avoidable penalties at inopportune times. They (the offense) still could not make "that play" when they needed to. Mistakes happen. Penalties happen. It's the timeliness for when they do happen is maddening.

They are a young team that is getting younger. Moving forward lets hope they can play cleaner, smarter football and rise to the occasion and make plays to win games.

Mac was fine today but I saw the same QB I’ve seen for the past two seasons, which isn’t good enough to compete deep into the postseason.

Most certainly not a game where Jones covered himself in glory, although as I said, he was fine and others were also far from perfect.

Accurate, great touch throwing the ball … and that’s about it. Still has too many bad throws, questionable decisions, times where he crumbles in the pocket due to perceived (but not real) pressure, too many ducks that float, too inconsistent and unsteady. I don’t see someone who’s mentally tough, I don’t see a natural leader, I continue to see bad footwork, mechanics, too many fluttering passes, a lack of poise (particularly in critical game situations, which is troubling).

Basically, he’s a physically limited QB with inconsistent mechanics, poor ball velocity, and a lack of maturity/poise. He just seems too emotionally unsteady, often seems to be thinking too much. I was really hoping we’d see a more steady, grounded, focused Mac who looks physically, emotionally, and mentally matured/developed, with improved mechanics/ball velocity. To my eye, he looks more or less like the same goofy kid he was as a rookie, which won’t cut it.

It’s only week 1, but this is the season that will determine Mac’s future with the team and I didn’t see much indicating he’s taken a step forward in any regard.
This year is what it's all about... not finding out if Mac can play in the NFL (he can) but whether he can be a franchise QB.

Still think some more preseason snaps would have been a good idea.

I always said - back when the Brady/Manning debate was a thing, that Manning the better pure passer but Brady is the better quarterback. There’s much more to to being a great quarterback than just passing the ball; intangibles, leadership, decision making, poise, mental toughness, judgment, ability to adapt, ability to play well in inclement weather, etc. I unfortunately get the vibe Mac is a Manning at this point; a uniquely talented pure passer of a football, but doesn’t demonstrate many traits that are critical to success beyond that.

It is first game after a disaster season. Let's see if he works he way out of the bad habits he had last year. And let's face it, he is working with a garbage o-line still (they were better than expected, but not great) and a bunch of #2 and #3 WRs with no legitimate #1. Even mentioning Brady and Manning is not a fair.

Almost does not count.

No, I'm being honest. There is a difference Rob.

You may be honest, but it is also unfair and wrong. Jones wasn't the reason the last drive failed. He made the throw. You are blaming him for someone else's failure.

This year is what it's all about... not finding out if Mac can play in the NFL (he can) but whether he can be a franchise QB.

Still think some more preseason snaps would have been a good idea.

The problem was the o-line was so awful in the preseason that more snaps might have been counter productive.

The degree of disappointment any of us experiences is not relevant to the analysis of the game.
The fact is, they put a handful of rookies in as starters on offense and it showed at the end. When was the last time they started that many low round draft choices on game #1? I'd wager never.

Give those same players a bit more experience, and get the vets healthy, and they win this game.

@Pape you want to be fair? Why not put some of the blame on Belichick the GM for leaving Mac with a makeshift o-line and no WR that teams fear. Belichick asks Mac to be Brady and elevate average players around him and he is not Brady. If Mac and Hurts traded receiving corps and o-lines yesterday, Mac might have thrown for five TDs and over 400 yards.
I have no problem doing that. Want me to pillory Belichick because of he lack of effort in bringing in a wr1 when we had the opportunity to do so? I will. He's undervalued that role for ever and a day, and it's a glaring weakness in his ability as a gm.

Want the other things brought to the fore? The line? Glaring weakness last year... in my first post I brought up the line... as a vocal detractor of Adrian klemm prior to the season starting, I thought they did ok, considering the late scratches... at least they are building a cohesive unit... there has been progress...

Except it's not his second year... it's his third season... despite the offense clusterhump that was last year's offensive experiment he still played, still faced those same exact situations... and is still coming up small in big spots... we have to make a decision about Mac Jones at the end of this season... we don't have the luxury of pretending it's year two...
Agree, but I'm getting close to my "use by date". I may not have time to develop another QB. Please Mac, be that guy.

I have no problem doing that. Want me to pillory Belichick because of he lack of effort in bringing in a wr1 when we had the opportunity to do so? I will. He's undervalued that role for ever and a day, and it's a glaring weakness in his ability as a gm.

Want the other things brought to the fore? The line? Glaring weakness last year... in my first post I brought up the line... as a vocal detractor of Adrian klemm prior to the season starting, I thought they did ok, considering the late scratches... at least they are building a cohesive unit... there has been progress...

I think the o-line is getting too much credit for not getting Mac killed yesterday and not having many jailbreaks. I guess they were ok against the pass. They did give up a lot of pressure, but nothing unusual considering the opponent having the arguably the best d-line in the league. But they were awful vs. the run. Stevenson had absolutely no holes to run inside. That obviously hurt the offense.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back