PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "do your job" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, AD, that was my initial thought too, when they lined up for the FG. But then I started to think like a coach. First, IIRC the chances of getting a TD from the 10 in one play is something less than 10%, and that's if you have a competitive team, which the Jets weren't that day. Second, there IS a difference losing 41-3 than 41-0. Getting shut out is tougher to overcome than puting up at least SOME points. I know it sound odd, but the fact remains. Besides they "earned" that garbage time drive, and Bowles must have felt they were better off at least getting something out of it. If the ball had been on the 4 or 5 where the odds greatly increase, then I'm sure he would have gone for it.

BTW- I probably would have gone for it, but I wasn't a great HC. ;)

I see your side of it, Ken. But after the game, I have a sinking feeling that that choice Bowles made may be the straw that broke the camel's back. Almost universally here in NY the decision was panned, and I'll bet my student loans that that decision was part of the reason Marshall and Richardson were feuding through the media in the locker room.

What does it say to your guys when, even in the slightest of chances to score a TD, you whimp out and get 3? And what if Folk misses that kick, then you get NOTHING out of it? Probably a damned if you do damned if you don't....but your season is over....at least attempt it. The freaking Cleveland Browns, 0 wins to their name up until Saturday had no reason to go out and give it their all except for contract fulfillments and pride...but they did it, and succeeded. It says a lot about Bowles as a HC IMHO.

I see your side of it, Ken. But after the game, I have a sinking feeling that that choice Bowles made may be the straw that broke the camel's back. Almost universally here in NY the decision was panned, and I'll bet my student loans that that decision was part of the reason Marshall and Richardson were feuding through the media in the locker room.

What does it say to your guys when, even in the slightest of chances to score a TD, you whimp out and get 3? And what if Folk misses that kick, then you get NOTHING out of it? Probably a damned if you do damned if you don't....but your season is over....at least attempt it. The freaking Cleveland Browns, 0 wins to their name up until Saturday had no reason to go out and give it their all except for contract fulfillments and pride...but they did it, and succeeded. It says a lot about Bowles as a HC IMHO.
Oh. I have no doubt that he got killed for the move. Like I said, it was my initial reaction too.

In the end, he really didn't have any "good" choice, just A choice. He could very well lose his job because of this game and the perception that he's lost the locker room, but what I don't understand is do people really think he just forgot how to be a good HC over the last 6 months. Last season, given the crap he had to go through in TC, he had just as good a year as Gase is having this year. So while the season turned into crap, how can they fire him, while guys like the Rams x coach kept his job for EIGHT years without a winning season?

Oh. I have no doubt that he got killed for the move. Like I said, it was my initial reaction too.

In the end, he really didn't have any "good" choice, just A choice. He could very well lose his job because of this game and the perception that he's lost the locker room, but what I don't understand is do people really think he just forgot how to be a good HC over the last 6 months. Last season, given the crap he had to go through in TC, he had just as good a year as Gase is having this year. So while the season turned into crap, how can they fire him, while guys like the Rams x coach kept his job for EIGHT years without a winning season?

Well we already know the answer to your last inquiry....we've learned from Lombardi that JF has "friends in high places" and that it's a "you rub my back, I'll rub yours" situation over there.

And second....in NY...it's win or go home. Period, full stop, bar none. I think Rex was really an outlier here because he was veryyyyyy media friendly and gave the quotes that led the 11:00 news. With Bowles he is the TOTAL opposite. Very laid back, stoic, not bombastic. I do think he does deserve another year because of what he did in '15, and frankly if Decker and a few other guys don't get hurt this year perhaps the Jets are better competitive this year. But this season was so catastrophically bad that in NY, they call for your head. Illogical to folks from Boston (smart folks) but it 'tis what it 'tis

Well we already know the answer to your last inquiry....we've learned from Lombardi that JF has "friends in high places" and that it's a "you rub my back, I'll rub yours" situation over there.

And second....in NY...it's win or go home. Period, full stop, bar none. I think Rex was really an outlier here because he was veryyyyyy media friendly and gave the quotes that led the 11:00 news. With Bowles he is the TOTAL opposite. Very laid back, stoic, not bombastic. I do think he does deserve another year because of what he did in '15, and frankly if Decker and a few other guys don't get hurt this year perhaps the Jets are better competitive this year. But this season was so catastrophically bad that in NY, they call for your head. Illogical to folks from Boston (smart folks) but it 'tis what it 'tis
You're dead on the money. IIRC the Jets have the most starters on IR than any team this year, or at least close to it. But the difference between the 2 teams is that the Jets are likely to wind up 4-12, and an embarassment, and when the SAME thing happed to the Pats they end up losing an away game in the AFCCG by 2 points.

THAT's how good the Pats are now, and will be for a while longer....at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back