PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we trade down from 3?

I don't understand this take at all, and it's not just you. This kid (and he is a kid, he just turned 21) cared SO MUCH about a game that he got emotional with his mother. It's not like he acted like his leg was teh amputae when he twisted his ankle, and had to have a MASH unit carry him down the stairs while he was in tears.

Also, Lincoln Riley is just starting to get his recruits in there now - it wasn't a super-talented USC team. But, everyone not sitting at #1 has been talking themselves out of Caleb Williams all year, it's not that surprising. We'll find out on the field.
Your take is different than mine, and that’s okay. If I lost a big game, I would be angry about losing, and think about how I performed and if I could improve.

Your take is different than mine, and that’s okay. If I lost a big game, I would be angry about losing, and think about how I performed and if I could improve.
And who's to say he wasn't? What we saw was in the immediate aftermath of the game, when emotions are at their rawest.

In 2021 Trevor Lawrence was #1, Zach Wilson #2, Trey Lance #3, Justin Fields #11 and Jones #15 is why I prefer to trade down.. stockpile more picks as it seems as though the Pats want to focus on the draft. Then make really great decisions as to who to draft...

If they trade with Minnesota it better be a kings ransom. A sign and trade with Jefferson, make him the highest paid receiver, 11 and 23. Sorry if that’s too much, but for me, thats the starting point. They don’t like it, then find another partner.
If you rejected that trade the fans & media would be ****ting all over themselves, and start the BS about how they were going to focus on offense..
Sure the Pats can stand the heat.. but that offer is better than fair.

I'm stunned at how many are open to trading down and taking a franchise QB. The next few classes suck for QB's.

In 2021 Trevor Lawrence was #1, Zach Wilson #2, Trey Lance #3, Justin Fields #11 and Jones #15 is why I prefer to trade down.. stockpile more picks as it seems as though the Pats want to focus on the draft. Then make really great decisions as to who to draft...
And in 2020 Burrow went first...

I'm stunned at how many are open to trading down and taking a franchise QB. The next few classes suck for QB's.
It's a crapshoot. The 2021 draft was supposed to be one of the best ever at QB. Lawrence ended up being the most mediocre generational prospect ever, the other 4 first round QB's are backups already.

Before that the 2018 draft was supposed to be a stacked QB class. Baker Mayfield became a journeyman, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen are total busts. Only Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson became bonafied starters and Lamar almost didn't even get drafted in the first round.

Meanwhile, nobody was raving about 2020 and Burrow, Herbert and Tua all became franchise talents.

The groundwork is there for a potential trade down with Minnesota. Sort of have in mind who you'd like if we go down to 11. If the Patriots aren't madly in love with the top QB prospects, a trade down to add young depth and broaden out the roster makes a ton of sense, especially if they like some of the second rank QB prospects.

The groundwork is there for a potential trade down with Minnesota. Sort of have in mind who you'd like if we go down to 11. If the Patriots aren't madly in love with the top QB prospects, a trade down to add young depth and broaden out the roster makes a ton of sense, especially if they like some of the second rank QB prospects.
If Jefferson is included and I can work out a deal to extend him
Im doing the deal.

I think there's an extreme risk of Justin Jefferson being an extremely unhappy camper if he has no one better than Brissett to throw to him. Brissett doesn't have the best awareness, he tends to have 1-2 guys he hyperfocuses on, if Jefferson isn't one of them... well, Brissett is a good chemistry guy but he managed to rub TY Hilton the wrong way in Indy by getting more comfortable with the guys who were actually on the field, like Greg Doyle or Zach Pascal, than he was with Hilton. Hilton started missing games with injury and Brissett started ignoring him in favor of guys who were there the whole time. It's one of his more interesting flaws.

Frankly I'd rather avoid big name talent and go for some good second rank wideouts that aren't household names. Nothing is more overpriced than a household name.

But then having said that, I'd have never traded for Randy Moss and THAt was a fuggin home run so take this with the requisite sodium chaser.

I think there's an extreme risk of Justin Jefferson being an extremely unhappy camper if he has no one better than Brissett to throw to him. Brissett doesn't have the best awareness, he tends to have 1-2 guys he hyperfocuses on, if Jefferson isn't one of them... well, Brissett is a good chemistry guy but he managed to rub TY Hilton the wrong way in Indy by getting more comfortable with the guys who were actually on the field, like Greg Doyle or Zach Pascal, than he was with Hilton. Hilton started missing games with injury and Brissett started ignoring him in favor of guys who were there the whole time. It's one of his more interesting flaws.

Frankly I'd rather avoid big name talent and go for some good second rank wideouts that aren't household names. Nothing is more overpriced than a household name.

But then having said that, I'd have never traded for Randy Moss and THAt was a fuggin home run so take this with the requisite sodium chaser.
From what I have read - rumors and speculation, not much else to go on - Jefferson was not happy when the Vikings did not re-sign Kirk Cousins. If that is true - that he wants a proven starter at QB - then my question to those who want him, is why would he want to move to the Patriots?

Just because the Vikings did not meet expectations in 2023, that doesn't mean they are now in a full tear down, rebuilding mode. Minnesota probably feels like they are close, just a good QB away from the playoffs and more. Assuming that is the case, they are going to want to keep Jefferson, and again attempt to negotiate an extension.

Following the season, more unsubstantiated rumors surfaced regarding the Vikings potentially trading Jefferson. Adofo-Mensah said in Indianapolis at the NFL combine: “A lot of the stuff that I hear is completely false. (Trading Jefferson) is not something that has once crossed my mind.” With Cousins’s departure, the idea of trading Jefferson has once again surfaced. Minnesota has no plans to move its best player.

Quin Ewers, Shadeur Sanders, and Drew Allar would like a word about how the “next few” QB classes suck. Nobody know how good the next classes are. The gap between the NFL and college football offenses is as wide as I can remember since the Wishbone offenses went out of style back in the 1970s. All of the top QB prospects this year have evident flaws. That was true last year, what Stroud did was fantastic but a real surprise to a lot of the “experts” who favored Bryce Young. Th year before it was Pickett only in the first round, and he busted with the Stillers in 2 seasons. We are all quite familiar with the 2021 QB class.

So not to disrupt this discussion, it is very interesting and thought provoking for me, good points being made here on both sides.

I’m all in on the Pats whether they stay at #3 and take the 3rd QB or trade down and accumulate picks. Both approaches make sense to me given the depleted talent level on offense for this team. Yes the QB hit/miss ratio is deeply concerning but QB is so much more important now and if you don’t get it right your chance for a championship become quite low.

I hope they stay at #3 and take Daniels, Maye, or JJ, but if they trade down and come up with both the future starting QB and someone who can be their future WR1 or LT1 I will be just as happy. I suspect many here will feel the same way and a smaller percentage will be upset no matter which way they go.

Drew Allar and Quinn Ewers are mediocre at best. Not in same class as this years top 4. Trading down from 3 will insure that Pats go many more years without a capable qb

Drew Allar and Quinn Ewers are mediocre at best. Not in same class as this years top 4. Trading down from 3 will insure that Pats go many more years without a capable qb
Cousin, Who's going to catch. Who's going to block. Ask Bryce young that question. Now he is labeled as a bust. Is he? Murray had a little more around him and he is still metza metz.
We are not ready for "that guy" yet. IMO we are giving up too many roster spots we could gain for a definite maybe.Justin Herrbert might be a great example. His coaches rotted. His WR were hurt. Their OL stunk and they are picking in the top ten. with a top five QB.

CURVE BALL TIME:
Would you Cousins take the Vikes trade (#11, #23and next year's #1) and ship them for Herbert? Harbaugh can get McCarthy at #3 or drop down to The Giants @#6 and pick up 6th,11th, 23rd pick and the Giants other second rounder #47 plus a#1 in 2025 for sending Herbert to us.?
DW Toys

Mayo's getting played. We are bringing back the 4-13 players and cheaping out on any upgrade on our O.
I give Mayo maybe 2 years tops.

IMHO, I would only trade down from #3 if the deal was just too good to pass up. We (hopefully) will not be drafting at #3 again for a while, so we need to take full advantage of that spot this year.

IMHO, I would only trade down from #3 if the deal was just too good to pass up. We (hopefully) will not be drafting at #3 again for a while, so we need to take full advantage of that spot this year.
The Way the roster is shaping up I think Carolina and Washington has surpassed us.

If they want to trade down, I wouldn't want to trade all the way down to 11. In that trade, not only are we giving up on all the top shelf QBs, we are also giving up on the best receiver and tackles. The draft is going to turn into a volume play instead of quality play. Yes, we have a lot of holes, but our biggest hole is that we have no top shelf talent and we have to start getting those guys instead of constantly punting to next draft/FA/trade

that's simply not true at all. There's plenty of very good quarterbacks that didn't get drafted in the first round. and plenty of first round busts. Brock Purdy is out there proving a lot of people wrong who get obsessed with the first round as a source of quarterbacks. So did Kurt Warner. So did Tom Brady.

If they want to trade down, I wouldn't want to trade all the way down to 11. In that trade, not only are we giving up on all the top shelf QBs, we are also giving up on the best receiver and tackles. The draft is going to turn into a volume play instead of quality play. Yes, we have a lot of holes, but our biggest hole is that we have no top shelf talent and we have to start getting those guys instead of constantly punting to next draft/FA/trade
If we trade down, it's to select more top shelf talent, even if it's not at the tippest of the tippy top there's usually hits all the way down the first round and a lot of those guys can help you win games. Trading down will be for the purpose of getting more picks and drafting more bodies. This has advantages.

In fact I'd venture to say that as shallow as our rosster is, we need, most of all, a broad infusion of talent rather than a couple peak guys. We need energetic young depth and we need help in a lot of different places, more than can easily be addressed by 1-2 guys.

There's very few teams that can actually use the quarterback to cover ALL their flaws. the Bengals and Chargers certainly tried, and their primo quarterbacks are getting murdered and now struggling with injuries only a few years later.

to say nothing of what happened to the Jets when they tried to cover their considerable roster issues with Aaron Rodgers.

Generally it's better to ACTUALLY ADDRESS YOUR ISSUES rather than trying to sweep them under the rug and distract everyone with a shiny new toy instead.

I'd rather get a second round talent at QB if it means that we also get the help we need in the trenches on both ends of the ball, and also help at linebacker which is a perennial need for every team ever.

that's simply not true at all. There's plenty of very good quarterbacks that didn't get drafted in the first round. and plenty of first round busts. Brock Purdy is out there proving a lot of people wrong who get obsessed with the first round as a source of quarterbacks. So did Kurt Warner. So did Tom Brady.
Yes but having watched these 2 specific qbs, I do not believe either will be franchise qbs

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back