PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jackson injury puts Pats in WR hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denism

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
By John Tomase
In a perfect world, the Patriots wouldn’t be worried about finding their wide receiver of the future in April’s draft.

They’d be grooming Chad Jackson for the job, spending the offseason trying to get him on the same page with quarterback Tom Brady so the playmaker can take advantage of his obvious physical gifts.

But Jackson tore his ACL against the Colts in the AFC Championship Game, leaving his status for next season very much in question. He underwent surgery four days after his injury and is spending the winter in New England rehabbing.

With Jackson’s status so uncertain, the Patriots must prepare for next season as if they won’t have his services. Because the free agent market at wideout is so thin, that means they’ll most likely be looking to bolster their ranks through the draft.

The good news for them is that this is considered a deep draft at wide receiver. Pro Football Weekly rates the position an A, while Scouts Inc. lists Georgia Tech junior Calvin Johnson as the most talented player in the draft.

Players like Johnson, Ohio State’s Ted Ginn Jr. and USC’s Dwayne Jarrett won’t be around when the Patriots pick. But they should have no shortage of mid-level prospects to choose from in the early to middle rounds.

Start with Ohio State’s Anthony Gonzalez. Though the 6-foot, 195-pounder has never had to serve as a lead receiver thanks to the presence of Ginn, Santonio Holmes and Michael Jenkins, he’s a smart route runner who has been compared to Wayne Chrebet and Wes Welker for his ability to play in the slot.

“I have not spoken with the Patriots at this point,” Gonzalez said. “It’s still early. I want to go to whatever the best situation is. And the Patriots certainly win a lot and I’m a winning person. I love the idea of competing for victories every time I step on the field. Certainly, I would be open to that and I would love the opportunity.”

It’s doubtful Gonzalez lasts beyond the second round, where the Patriots have experienced mixed results, hitting on Deion Branch in 2002, but missing on Bethel Johnson a year later. The jury is still out on Jackson.

Another option is Clemson’s Chansi Stuckey, a 5-10, 193-pounder with 4.4 speed and soft hands. Multiple foot injuries make him a health risk, but he’s considered a high-character guy.

Those looking for a sleeper would be wise to remember New Hampshire’s David Ball, who smashed Jerry Rice’s Div. 1-AA career record for touchdown receptions (58). He projects to go in the middle rounds, thanks to his great hands and solid route-running skills.

He’s also been a Patriots fan his whole life.

“I’m from Vermont, so we have to claim the Boston guys,” he said. “I wouldn’t mind playing there. I love the franchise. They run a great franchise, and it’s something I would be proud to be a part of.”

i'm interested, too, to see if CJ injury is really going to change the draft

i would have prefered with the first two picks a LB and S or CB - not a WR...

but now i'm not so sure anymore

so: i'm curious too to see

i hope CJ will recover well first of all - he is still very young

I believe that the first rounders should be of position which are very expensive in FA and quality is not available.CB , WR ,QB makes more sense as you get a solid starter for 5-6 yrs instead of a 4 yr deal for other rounds and 3 in the lower and udfa. even after 2 yr of development you get a good starter for 3 yrs rather than 1 or 2....

Being a UNH alumni, I've been in the Ball camp for a while now. But word is he may not have the speed/quickness needed for NFL? Love everything else about the guy, attitude, work ethic, soft hands etc, would really like to see him get a shot in a Pats uni!

Being a UNH alumni, I've been in the Ball camp for a while now. But word is he may not have the speed/quickness needed for NFL? Love everything else about the guy, attitude, work ethic, soft hands etc, would really like to see him get a shot in a Pats uni!
What I've read suggests his greatest asset is his ability to spot a football in the air and track it into his hands - speed, route running, etc. are all reportedly below average. I'd like to see him get a shot, just as I'd still like to see David Hass escape from Chicago and wind up competing on a Pats' practice field. If Ball doesn't get a job here, the Air Force should grab a natural air defense officer.

Tomase mentioned Wayne Chrebet as a comp with Anthony Gonzalez. Maybe Ball could also be compared with Chrebet? I've never seen Ball play. Sounds like a lot of college WRs to look at this year.

What I've read suggests his greatest asset is his ability to spot a football in the air and track it into his hands - speed, route running, etc. are all reportedly below average. I'd like to see him get a shot, just as I'd still like to see David Hass escape from Chicago and wind up competing on a Pats' practice field. If Ball doesn't get a job here, the Air Force should grab a natural air defense officer.

Where did you hear that, BOR? NFLDraftScout says that his hands and route running are very good, though they do mention he will occasionally round off a cut.

I dont get this.
First, I have seen NOWHERE what the prognosis for Jackson recovery time is.
Now to say we need to draft a WR in the first round to replace a SECOND round pick for anywhere from no time to part of season seems foolish to me.

IMO, if Chad Jackson is expected to a future #1 receiver for this team if he misses all of 2007, that still doesnt mean you have to go find another future # 1 receiver.
IMO, drafts are NEVER about one year. And especially you don't draft a player to fill a hole, specifcally in his rookie year.

If the Pats feel the WR position WITH Jackson indicates the need to use a high pick on a WR they will. If they feel with him they do not need to but without him they would, an injury that could affect this year will have no bearing on that.

I dont get this.
First, I have seen NOWHERE what the prognosis for Jackson recovery time is.

An interesting tidbit in the article was that Jackson had his surgery FOUR DAYS after the injury. Now, we have no sense of the time table really, but I read a few ACL rehab articles, and each suggested that surgery happens no sooner than a month after the injury...not sure what to make of that...but at the very least, it moves the time table, whatever it is, up a month.

Im pretty sure they were in the hunt for a wr before CJ got hurt. Just because other good wrs have had bad first years and then come back to be great doesnt mean CJ will. I personally think he will be very good, but im sure they were going to be in the wr hunt and did not want to rely too much on CJ next year even if he hadnt gotten hurt

Where did you hear that, BOR? NFLDraftScout says that his hands and route running are very good, though they do mention he will occasionally round off a cut.
I'd have to go back and try to recreate my reading, I expect sites to update as those who watch film get caught up, so the write-ups could reflect what you're describing. I liked what little I saw in whichever bowl game he was in - I've got to go back and watch those games, now that I'm starting to build boards based on my reading I can try and judge for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back