PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lance Zierlein's pre draft scouting report of Mac Jones was spot on

Which sentence are you struggling to understand?
I thought since he is doing a lot of checkdowns and not going through his progressions that this is an example of pre determined decision making as a decision to not throw to the outside for example

I thought since he is doing a lot of checkdowns and not going through his progressions that this is an example of pre determined decision making as a decision to not throw to the outside for example
I take it as he throws to his primary target whether they are open or not, or what the post snap coverage is.

I don’t consider ignoring reads then checking down to be predetermining.

I take it as he throws to his primary target whether they are open or not, or what the post snap coverage is.

I don’t consider ignoring reads then checking down to be predetermining.
I consider it to be predeterminng to not go through his progressions which is annoying
Pre snap he struggles as well. Look at the second int vs the giants they showed 6 rushers without any extra blocker it is a mismatch . They brought a different lb as an extra rusher than what they showed pre snap
Mac did not identify this, the routes were the wrong play and the result is known
Time to move on

Maybe Patriots scouting department should hire this guy. His observations pre draft were extremely accurate
He predicted Mac would be a good backup to ceiling of low end starter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jones has above-average accuracy and a season full of eye-catching production. He displayed nice improvement as he grew into the position from 2019 to 2020. His accuracy and ball placement stand out and he throws a very catchable football with consistent touch on it. He's not much of an improv player but can hurt defenses with his feet once he leaves the pocket. The tape shows too much predetermined decision-making about where he wants to go with the football rather than letting the coverage and his progressions speak to him. While the production looks great, he has clearly benefited from a wealth of riches up front, in the backfield and at wide receiver. He has a tendency to play with some panic when pressure gets after him and could struggle when things aren't optimal around him. Jones has good backup to low-end starter potential.
  • Very thin lower body and struggles to fight off rush contact.
  • Slow ball handler on RPOs.
  • Leaves back half behind in his follow-through.
  • Average release quickness.
  • Locks in on a target rather than honoring the progressions.
  • Doesn't play with the desired poise of an NFL starter.
  • Antsy when reads don't quickly come together.
  • Play can be panicky and rushed in the face of pressure.
  • Has trouble locating open targets in direction where heat is coming from.
  • Would like to see him play with more grit.
Jesus.

I'm following this guy religiously now

The first part says he makes decisions presnap and goes there no matter what he sees.
That is not happening.
He is indecisive pre and post snap. He chooses NOT to throw to his first read even when it’s open, evidently because he is afraid to throw the ball further than 5 yards. So he drops back let’s the router develop with no intention to throw them dumps off to a safe check down.
I think I named him Check down Mac A.J. but his defenders will say he can more than throw the field to the other Team most times.

I tell you this though, if you put Mac on Kyle Shanahan's offense, he will shine.
Even Shanahan can't make chicken salad out of chicken you know what. We are hoping for the impossible here.

Even Shanahan can't make chicken salad out of chicken you know what. We are hoping for the impossible here.
The most important piece of Shanahans offense (and most offenses frankly) is the piece 10 lacks.

A lot of these draft experts are pretty good with their analysis and scouting. Our FO is too stubborn with their own evaluation process to look anywhere else though

Found these online on his history of grading prospects the last 10 years. If you go with evals, you draft some duds for QB, so those who are going to follow him, just beware. Sam Darnold got a higher score than Joe Burrow. hmmm...But for his WR listing, you will hit more often than not.
QB

Trevor Lawrence7.4
Sam Darnold7.1
Joe Burrow7.07
Mitchell Trubisky7
Jared Goff7
Jameis Winston7
Kyler Murray6.8
Deshaun Watson6.8
Paxton Lynch6.8
Teddy Bridgewater6.8
Blake Bortles6.8
Marcus Mariota6.8
Tua Tagovailoa6.77
Dwayne Haskins6.7
Josh Rosen6.7
Baker Mayfield6.7
Carson Wentz6.7
Zach Wilson6.5
Trey Lance6.47
Justin Fields6.45
Justin Herbert6.45
RB

NameGrade
Saquon Barkley7.45
Ezekiel Elliott7.3
Leonard Fournette7.1
Dalvin Cook7
Todd Gurley6.8
Melvin Gordon6.8
D'andre Swift6.78
Travis Etienne6.71
Alvin Kamara6.7
Derrick Henry6.7
Josh Jacobs6.7
Ronald Jones6.7
Derrius Guice6.7
Carlos Hyde6.7
Tevin Coleman6.7
Jordan Howard6.7
Najee Harris6.46
Jonathan Taylor6.41
Joe Mixon6.4
Christian Mccaffrey6.4
Javonte Williams6.4
Sony Michel6.4
Jay Ajayi6.4
WR

NameGrade
Devonta Smith7.13
Ja'marr Chase7.12
Amari Cooper7.1
Sammy Watkins7.1
Jaylen Waddle6.86
Ceedee Lamb6.81
D.K. Metcalf6.8
Calvin Ridley6.8
Mike Williams6.8
Laquon Treadwell6.8
Kelvin Benjamin6.8
Jerry Jeudy6.77
Henry Ruggs Iii6.72
Parris Campbell6.7
A.J. Brown6.7
Marquise Brown6.7
John Ross6.7
Corey Davis6.7
William Fuller6.7
Corey Coleman6.7
TE

NameGrade
Kyle Pitts7.19
O.J. Howard7
Hunter Henry7
T.J. Hockenson6.8
David Njoku6.8
Eric Ebron6.8
Irv Smith6.4
Noah Fant6.4
Hayden Hurst6.4
Mike Gesicki6.4
Gerald Everett6.4
Evan Engram6.4
Cole Kmet6.34
Tommy Tremble6.32
Harrison Bryant6.32
Pat Freiermuth6.3
Kahale Warring6.3
Ian Thomas6.3
Dallas Goedert6.3
Temuchin Hodges6.3

Kind of wonder what the team would have drafted someone other than Mac Jones as really the team quietly wishes they may had gotten someone else like a Purdy!

Kind of wonder what the team would have drafted someone other than Mac Jones as really the team quietly wishes they may had gotten someone else like a Purdy!
Could have had Howell but they picked Zappe for some odd reason.

Jesus.

I'm following this guy religiously now
Old West Yes GIF by GritTV

A blast from the past.

Ian would prefer that you do not respond directly to this old thread.

A blast from the past.

Ian would prefer that you do not respond directly to this old thread.

Interesting. So looking back at this old thread, 75% of message board voters on the poll thought Mac would be a franchise player and star.
Many said he would only be good if surrounded by talent, which clearly he wasn’t

Interesting. So looking back at this old thread, 75% of message board voters on the poll thought Mac would be a franchise player and star.
Many said he would only be good if surrounded by talent, which clearly he wasn’t
I’m happy we didn’t pay a thing to move up for him he just fell to us. Imagine if we did what Chicago did for Fields or SF for Lance.

We must be reading it differently it seems spot on. FTR: some hated the Mac Jones selection initially.
Ppl dump on Sanchez.. however the guy made 2 AFCCG appearances in his career and beat us at Gillette. More than Mac can say.

I’m happy we didn’t pay a thing to move up for him he just fell to us. Imagine if we did what Chicago did for Fields or SF for Lance.
I think Mac is going to 9ners for a 5th... just my hunch.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back