PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots = Chicago Bulls of the NFL

It's been 3 months. We have not had a draft, we have not a training camp, we have not seen the team play a snap, we don't know what the offensive system will look like, we don't know who the QB leading the team will be, etc.

You are basing your opinion entirely off a free agency where the consensus across the league is that this was an exceptionally weak free agency class and the unprecedented cap increase took a lot of projected players out of the market.

Acting like I'm giving them way too much time seems crazy to me when we've seen one phase of the off season which I think almost every fan on this site would say was far weaker than they thought it would be in terms of available talent going in

My question was What will signify a post-BB direction to you? You can reread my post and see my question. You wrote a lot, but never answered the simple question. Thanks for agreeing that the Pats' FA sucked, but I already know that. I was wondering what a post-BB direction would look like to you, hence my question that you ignored.

We have so much cap because we've done a ****ty job team building the last few several years and we haven't had enough players worth signing to long term contracts. That happens when you've been terrible at the draft for nearly a decade
But we did sign players in FA to long-term, high-value contracts. They were all our own players that BB drafted. If we have been terrible at the draft for a decade, why are we only signing our own "terrible at the draft" players when we are taking a new post-BB direction?

Well, you need to give the new regime a chance. We don’t know what they will do. They are 2 months into it. They may suck, they may be great. But we don’t know what the ly are. So unless you have a crystal ball and are a Mind reader we don’t know what they will be doing. If you are possessed with these skills, please enlighten us.

Howling Full Moon GIF

But we did sign players in FA to long-term, high-value contracts. They were all our own players that BB drafted. If we have been terrible at the draft for a decade, why are we only signing our own "terrible at the draft" players when we are taking a new post-BB direction?
Not all the multi year FAs signed this year were players that BB drafted, or even ones who've ever played for the Pats before (Gibson / Takitaki). So far, they've re-signed just 3 BB drafted FA players to multi year contracts (with 2 being high-value).

Of course - I'm just prognosticating. Hope I'm wrong, because football is my favorite sport and I'll be glued to every Pats game no matter what, but it really feels like amateur hour in Foxboro from the top down.
I agree, but let it play out. As far as I’m concerned even if Pats take their sweet time getting back to relevance, we had 20 plus years. It’s gonna take awhile before I turn on this team.

Not all the multi year FAs signed this year were players that BB drafted, or even ones who've ever played for the Pats before (Gibson / Takitaki). So far, they've re-signed just 3 BB drafted FA players to multi year contracts (with 2 being high-value).

Yes, not all of the multi-year FAs signed were players that BB drafted. But that is not what I posted. Did you purposely twist what I posted?

I said that we signed long-term, high-value players to FA which were players that BB drafted. I agree that Gibson and Takitaki were signed, and I like the signings, but I disagree that those were high-value contracts.

What non-BB drafted players were signed in FA to high-value contracts?

Well, you need to give the new regime a chance. We don’t know what they will do. They are 2 months into it. They may suck, they may be great. But we don’t know what the ly are. So unless you have a crystal ball and are a Mind reader we don’t know what they will be doing. If you are possessed with these skills, please enlighten us.
But we do know some things so far. It has been over 3 months, not two months, and we have mostly completed the 2024 FA signing period. The two major off-season events are FA signings and the draft, so we are 50% through the off-season major events. And we know that the Pats did nothing significant. While other teams, with much less cap space, signed premier FAs, the Pats sat on their ass. We know that because it has been reported.

Yes, we can give the new management a chance, and at the same time, we can admit that so far their idea of "burning cash" has been extremely disappointing. It is OK to be transparent and honest about the facts.

Yes, not all of the multi-year FAs signed were players that BB drafted. But that is not what I posted. Did you purposely twist what I posted?

I said that we signed long-term, high-value players to FA which were players that BB drafted. I agree that Gibson and Takitaki were signed, and I like the signings, but I disagree that those were high-value contracts.

What non-BB drafted players were signed in FA to high-value contracts?
Apologies for the twist - not intended - it would be none in that case. For FA multi year BB drafted high value contracts, the Pats have signed just Dugger and Onwenu. 2 people doesn't sound like a continuing trend (if speaking about the whole post-BB direction thing).

For non BB drafted, I guess it depends on what high value means. Henry? Even though not BB drafted, it would contribute to the trend.

Back to your question about a post BB-direction. I think releasing Parker was the biggest breath of fresh air for me. I was one of the 4 vocal people on this forum's New Signing Thread who hated that pickup (and was incredulous at the majority who seemed to think he was WR1 material). I absolutely lost my mind when Parker was extended.

You seem to have forgotten FA. We signed zero top level FAs with the second most cap space in 2024 and the most cap space over 2024 and 2025. Did you ever wonder why we have so much cap space? Interesting question. It might be because the Pats have the lowest actual cash spend over the last ten years. But if someone is bold enough to mention this, what is the response? Go find another team because posters on PatsFans are too sensitive to read and admit the truth. DarrlyS is tired of hearing the truth, so everyone else has to move on.

If you do not agree with DarrlyS, he will take his ball and go home.
No need to get personal here, It was my observation nothing else. The nattering nabobs of negativity abound on this message board and media.. this team has crapped by bed, but to continually look at the same thing over and over again from a different angle is futile. See the BB bashing..
Fans get upset because we did not sign a 29 year old WR (good effort but he did not want to come here) or a 33 year old LT (33 yr old who has played 30 games in the past 4 years). It was not a strong FA year.
Choosing to be optimistic and the belief that the Krafts want to return to the glory days make me believe that even though the spending has gone down, there will be an effort to rebuild this team. Having been a fan since the 60's have lived during a lot of periods where we sucked and were the doormats of the NFL, things will get better, that is my reason for remaining a fan Pats for all this time.

After hearing Wolf say today that he, "feel(s) good about where we are" in regard to the offensive roster, it dawned on me that I have no faith in the leadership or direction of this organization. That comment, combined with the total dud that was FA, Jerod Mayo's waffling in comments to the media, the Kraft drama (propaganda documentary/assassination of Bill Belichick) - none of it sits well.

The Patriots are going to become the Chicago Bulls of the NFL. A concentrated run of utter dominance by an otherwise completely irrelevant franchise.

verklempt saturday night live GIF
The NE Jets.

Even if there is a great QB in this draft, the odds of the Patriots landing him are slim to none. The 49ers, Broncos, Dolphins, Cowboys have been searching for another HOF QB for decades to no avail. The NY Jets Joe Namath won a Super Bowl 55 years ago. You're telling me 5 years post Brady and the Pats are going to land the next QB who will lead this team to a Super Bowl?

It does not work that way.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
The NE Jets.

Even if there is a great QB in this draft, the odds of the Patriots landing him are slim to none. The 49ers, Broncos, Dolphins, Cowboys have been searching for another HOF QB for decades to no avail. The NY Jets Joe Namath won a Super Bowl 55 years ago. You're telling me 5 years post Brady and the Pats are going to land the next QB who will lead this team to a Super Bowl?

It does not work that way.
Zappe is the man. Starting week 5 the decade of dominance will begin. You’ll see.

But we do know some things so far. It has been over 3 months, not two months, and we have mostly completed the 2024 FA signing period. The two major off-season events are FA signings and the draft, so we are 50% through the off-season major events. And we know that the Pats did nothing significant. While other teams, with much less cap space, signed premier FAs, the Pats sat on their ass. We know that because it has been reported.

Yes, we can give the new management a chance, and at the same time, we can admit that so far their idea of "burning cash" has been extremely disappointing. It is OK to be transparent and honest about the facts.
Sorry, but I think you’re wrong with your expectations. Just because you have money doesn’t mean you spend it, that irresponsible. Maybe it would’ve been the right decision but maybe not. We just don’t know. Gotta give leeway. Not one game has been played yet. The draft isn’t over. There are still available free agents. Trades are still possible. Judging after 2 months is just crazy

I've been saying for quite some time that the Patriots are destined to a period of late 80s/early 90s suckitude. it's going to be bad. the second half of last year was a harbinger of things to come. Half empty stadium, $15 game day tickets, no buzz, no nothing.
Footie Pajamas Fans just don't realize The Patriots, now without Tom Brady and the winning, are one of the least desirable destinations for free agents. Cold weather, insanely high taxes, poor facilities, a stadium in the middle of nowhere, and an owner with a reputation for throwing nickels around like manhole covers.
Super Bowls and playoff wins are coming up on 6 seasons in the rear view mirror. If the Patriots don't hit on this QB pick we are 100% looking the ceiling for this club to be 2005-2017 Bills and their quarterback carousel of ej Manuel, jp losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, et al.
Those Bills teams had no chance at the division behind the Pats, just like the Patriots will have no chance at the division behind Buffalo/Miami for 10 years if they don't hit on the QB Thursday. And you can kiss any chance of a playoff run goodbye as our hometown team has to go through some combination of Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, Patrick Mahomes, CJ Stroud in the playoffs for the next 10 seasons.
Enjoy the super bowls because this franchise is well on their way to irrelevance and I wouldn't be surprised if Krafty Bob sells the team in that upcoming 10 year window.

Until we know what a post Bill Belichick direction actually looks like, this is dumb.
Absolutely agree. Here's what I'll say. This is the first time in 2 plus decades we haven't had 1 person in BB calling the shots. It's going to be different, it's going to be uncertainty amongst the fan base.

However I have this optimism as a fan. Wolf and Mayo have been with the organization these are not 2 men that were hired coming from the college ranks.

The organization knows this draft is likely the most important ever in the organizations history. Things will be done differently, people will have imput will have thier opinions honored. Mayo and wolf have the final say as we know.

The post Bill era kicks off this Thursday, and speaking for myself as a fan I have hope and optimism that we will get the QB and look like a NFL offense this season.

After hearing Wolf say today that he, "feel(s) good about where we are" in regard to the offensive roster, it dawned on me that I have no faith in the leadership or direction of this organization. That comment, combined with the total dud that was FA, Jerod Mayo's waffling in comments to the media, the Kraft drama (propaganda documentary/assassination of Bill Belichick) - none of it sits well.

The Patriots are going to become the Chicago Bulls of the NFL. A concentrated run of utter dominance by an otherwise completely irrelevant franchise.

verklempt saturday night live GIF
A couple of things…

1) What’s wrong with Wolf saying positive things about the team? Is he polishing a turd a little bit…probably…but he’s trying to bring some positive energy to the team. That’s needed after the last 4-5 seasons.

2) Did you see this FA class? It was one of the worst in recent memory. Did you really want him signing Ridley for 4/100…no thanks! The same goes for Tyron “I play 8 games a season” Smith…again, no thanks.

3) Mayo misspoke ONE time during the excitement of being introduced as the Pats new HC. Let’s at least give him a TC and 4-5 games before throwing him under the bus.

4) The BB character assassination was always going to happen once he left town…regardless of who may or may not have helped facilitate it. The Boston media had been sharpening their pitchforks for years just waiting to get back at BB.

5) You talking about having no faith in the new regime and saying that the Pats are “an otherwise completely irrelevant franchise”…Jesus man, it’s April; the draft hasn’t happened yet, let alone TC or the start of the season. Get a grip and lay off the doomsday sauce.

Depends on the draft and remaining free agency. They’re one left tackle away from being a competitive team.

They’ll easily find some WR’s in the middle to late rounds.

They need a QB of the future, but he doesn’t necessarily have to play this season, but if he takes the job at some they could be a lot more than competitive.

This team isn’t far away, they certainly can’t be judged without knowing the final 53.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back