PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign OT Chukwuma Okorafor

Immediately the leading candidate to start at RT and at the same time to be the veteran candidate who comes to training camp and immediately retires.

Off what I saw I don’t consider Lowe to be anything but an end of roster/PS guy, McDermott showed me more than Lowe last season. I’m holding out hope for Anderson and Wheatley, but if they sign someone else in FA then neither of those guys should be house hunting here.

Regarding the Stillers issue, keep in mind they spent a 1st last year on Broderick Jones and were obviously itching to get him snaps so one could understand why a 26 year old player like Okorafor may have been disgruntled.

Last edited:
Could someone help me out with this, how is it possible that the Pats were able to sign him prior to FA starting?
The Steelers released him on Feb 20; at that point anybody can sign him. Only 26 years old.

Players like Onwenu, Henry, etc. are still under contract until the start of the new league year (which is when free agency begins).

Similarly any team could sign Lawrence Guy right now.

Lazar on Catch-22 this afternoon:
“He [“offensive line guru” Brandon Thorn] told me that he watched every single snap Mike Onwenu played at tackle last year and he said that his pass protection tape was terrible at right tackle. I don’t see Mike Onwenu as a tackle.”

So it’s certainly interesting that there’s now an experienced “real” right tackle on the roster.

“He [“offensive line guru” Brandon Thorn] told me that he watched every single snap Mike Onwenu played at tackle last year and he said that his pass protection tape was terrible at right tackle. I don’t see Mike Onwenu as a tackle.”

So it’s certainly interesting that there’s now an experienced “real” right tackle on the roster.
He did have some whiffs. I think Onwenu is an A+ guard who is also a B- tackle. But he wants tackle money.

A couple comments on a Steelers board...

"In fairness to Chuks, we saw some OL leave and greatly improve. It's possible, with an OC and OL coach switch, he might be what they'd hope he be. I don't trust Meyer at this point given our struggles and playing guys out of position too frequently for no good reason at all."

"Okorafor isn't strong enough or aggressive enough at the point of attack. His man stands him up or pushes him backward too often. I have a hard time blaming that on coaching."

"He got benched because he questioned why the Steelers were even trying anymore. They should just take a knee and accept the loss."

"That wasn't the only reason he was benched regardless of the comments from the team. He sucked. It was no coincidence that the running game took off as soon as they benched him."

A couple comments on a Steelers board...

"In fairness to Chuks, we saw some OL leave and greatly improve. It's possible, with an OC and OL coach switch, he might be what they'd hope he be. I don't trust Meyer at this point given our struggles and playing guys out of position too frequently for no good reason at all."

"Okorafor isn't strong enough or aggressive enough at the point of attack. His man stands him up or pushes him backward too often. I have a hard time blaming that on coaching."

"He got benched because he questioned why the Steelers were even trying anymore. They should just take a knee and accept the loss."

"That wasn't the only reason he was benched regardless of the comments from the team. He sucked. It was no coincidence that the running game took off as soon as they benched him."
Camp fodder. :rolleyes:

More than an hour now without monetary details. That’s a pretty good hint that his agent is not proud of this deal. He was due $8.7M on his previous Steelers contract, and he’s obviously not getting anything close to that.

Good depth but i hope we use more resources than repeating last years ot strategy of signing a bunch of these ‘bargains’ but not acquiring an actual starter

As long as he got depth money and not "we're depending on him" money I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this signing.

Edit: In retrospect that's probably not true because for experienced OTs the $$ for both categories are higher than they'd like.

Last edited:
Could someone help me out with this, how is it possible that the Pats were able to sign him prior to FA starting?
He was released by Pittsburgh on Feb 20th
Steelers benched him mid season for attitude problems then cut him in late February.

Those don’t make me confident he is anything more than a camp body or depth signing. Definitely does not justify assuming he’s a part of the solution at OT. Maybe if he gets his head on straight and out competes the other guys already on the roster, but that’s not a given.

For now I’ll wait to see if he comes out of camp ahead of Wheatley or Lowe on the depth chart. Not betting on it. Even if he is likely to get preference by the current regime that signed him over players signed by the departed pariah.

Steelers benched him mid season for attitude problems then cut him in late February.

Those don’t make me confident he is anything more than a camp body or depth signing. Definitely does not justify assuming he’s a part of the solution at OT. Maybe if he gets his head on straight and out competes the other guys already on the roster, but that’s not a given.

For now I’ll wait to see if he comes out of camp ahead of Wheatley or Lowe on the depth chart. Not betting on it. Even if he is likely to get preference by the current regime that signed him over players signed by the departed pariah.
They did the same with Legarette Blount.

They did the same with Legarette Blount.
Let’s hope this time goes as well for the Pats. Report I saw suggested Okorafor was unhappy about team playing poorly. With the Pats trying to turn things around I’m afraid his patience may be tried here too.

I'm just glad he didn't get tagged. If they can cut a decent (fair) deal as a RG, then bring him back. Otherwise, arrivederci.

Yeah
Depending on what scheme they wanna run he is not a good fit either
At guard I would love him back but wish we could get two other starting tackles

Chukwuma Okorafor is a jag.

What are we doing here?

Okorafor can play both LT and RT, though most of his starts are at RT.

I was hoping for this signing as he doesn't count against the Comp Picks because he was released.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back