PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats should dump Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was a great move franchising Asante. As a FA he can speak to whomever he wants and they can promise him the world, but if they really want him lets deal. I don't think the Pats want two first round picks but would settle for 2nd and 3rd round compensation. I think what they did here was equal to what they did with TBucky Jones and NO took the bait. If the don't trade him that means I would think a deal is in the works. I would think the Branch fiasco has taught them not to string it out. There is nothing wrong with a player trying to shoot himself out of town as long as you get the appropiate compensation.

As a Franchised Free Agent, teams can promise him the world also. However, Asante can complain about the "offers he's getting from other teams" but until he signs on the dotted line, its just bogus garbage because no team has truly offered what he's looking for and no team wants to cough up the 2 1st round picks. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if no team has actually approached the Pats regarding what it would take to trade for Samuel.

tick....tick.....tick........

Time is running out on getting Asante under contract either via a long term deal or signing the tender. If he remains unsigned, that adds considerable uncertainty that hinders team planning in a pretty big way including salary cap and on field, to say nothing about draft strategy. The uncertainty can be resolved by trading him, but that is possible only if another team reaches a financial agreement with him, which evidently has not happened. As draft approaches, is time on Samuel's side here? What are Pats options?

Asante forgets how AVERAGE his play was before this year. He forgets who stuck with him :rolleyes: Trade his ass.

:agree: Trade him for what though? #2 this year and 2+3 next? Could that be done?

Re: tick....tick.....tick........

Time is running out on getting Asante under contract either via a long term deal or signing the tender. If he remains unsigned, that adds considerable uncertainty that hinders team planning in a pretty big way including salary cap and on field, to say nothing about draft strategy. The uncertainty can be resolved by trading him, but that is possible only if another team reaches a financial agreement with him, which evidently has not happened. As draft approaches, is time on Samuel's side here? What are Pats options?
I don't think there's that much uncertainty nor do I think time is on his side.

If Branch had sat out 10 games he'd have lost about $625K for all the missed games combined. If Samuel does he'll lose about $500K for every game missed. Samuel DOES have the choice to do that. But it's unrealistic - almost to the point of no way in hell - that he'll piss away $5M just to prove a point. He can get an insurance policy on a long term injury, take the money and dare the Patriots to Franchise him again next year at 20% higher.

It only adds fuel to the "Patriots don't pay their star players" cry for rival fans. Of course other squads haven't had the number of quality players NE has so I can see where the confusion comes from.

You're on the money, rich!

Ask the "rival fans" if they've spoken to Adalius Thomas, Richard Seymour, Tom Brady, Mike Vrabel, Dan Koppen, et al!

The Patriots DO pay, but they pay for proven quality. Not one-hit wonders like Samuel.

The only way you get your hands on the Kraft dough is to 1) be consistent over time and 2) keep a good attitude while you're doing it.

Samuel's already behind the 8-ball on the second point.

See ya Asante.

Enjoy Detroit/Buffalo/Cleveland/San Fran or whatever other NFL dung-hole you end up in!

But, yo, G, at least, ya gonna "get paid", playah! Yo, ya gonna get some a dat mad "re-spek" and "feed yo family"!

You're a disgrace to Broward County High School football, Asante!

:agree: Trade him for what though? #2 this year and 2+3 next? Could that be done?

I'd say a 2 and a 1 next year could be done... just posted elsewhere, same basic premise. I might be dreaming but someone coveting Asante, who sees him the same way he sees himself...? Everybody wants the skins to want him, and I could just see Snyder giving us a 2 this year and a 1 in 2008. Hell, they make a habit of trading away their drafts, then paying people up-front for work they end up doing badly. Then the Skins still get to keep their 6 overall this year, proclaim themselves the super bowl winners, and go home to work on another 8-8 season.

PFnV

Re: tick....tick.....tick........

I gotta disagree with you. I believe that the Patriots draft strategy has absolutely nothing to do with what happens to Asante. I believe that the Patriots view it as two seperate issues. I believe that they would have CB high on their priority list whether or not Asante signed because of the number of injuries the Patriots have had there.

And, it really doesn't affect the Salary cap much. The Money has been set aside.

Time isn't on Samuel's side in the least. If he doesn't sign until camp, then he risks injury and losing out on a bigger payday. If he holds out to week 10, then he risks injury and a bigger payday, as well as some 5 million in cash.

As for the Pats Options:
1) Sit tight and let Asante Pout
2) Continue to negotiate to work out a long term deal
3) Trade Samuel in the last days before the draft

They are the same options that have been there the entire time.

I'd say a 2 and a 1 next year could be done... just posted elsewhere, same basic premise. I might be dreaming but someone coveting Asante, who sees him the same way he sees himself...? Everybody wants the skins to want him, and I could just see Snyder giving us a 2 this year and a 1 in 2008. Hell, they make a habit of trading away their drafts, then paying people up-front for work they end up doing badly. Then the Skins still get to keep their 6 overall this year, proclaim themselves the super bowl winners, and go home to work on another 8-8 season.

PFnV

:D Too funny. That is the way the Skins FO and fan base thinks. I hope he lands there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back