PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Jacoby Brissett to the Colts for Phillip Dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan of this trade.

I'll take a flyer and predict that by the end of this season
  1. Brissett will have Luck's job
  2. Dorsett will be game day inactive.

Quite possibly. Tim Wright followed a similar trajectory.

Why would he sign a terrible player with an attitude problem?
tenor.gif

BB has never drafted BPA. It's pretty much a myth that ANYBODY does. The only time you draft BPA is when you have a dearth of talent across the board...and have already signed a QB.

That being said. Remember watching A football life: Cleveland 95? Ozzie Newsome mentioned how he took BPA for Jonathan Ogden because that's what BB taught him. So has BB's philosophy changed?

After 17 yrs of BB's reign , and 5 SB's i really dont worry about what he does or go nuts over it. I think he knows what he is doing or will correct whatever he is doing wrong.

Well if Luck is injured it's possible and the season starting in less than a week I can see Dorsett not being activated right off. I think they will though if maybe just for punt returns. I'd be surprised to see him inactive though. This was a serious move. Why would they waste it?
Maybe Dorsett will be inactive at times? Sometimes BB only goes with 4 WR on the 45 and uses a spot for an extra TE or RB depending on what he feels gives the best match ups.

Does that mean that people are going to go apeshit if Dorsett dosent dress a lot? Probably.

Or maybe he will be a decent player...

I may be making the wrong argument. I'll just leave it with something more practical and measurable: When the heat is on and TB needs to get the ball out quickly, I'm betting that he's going to Cooks, Dola, and Gronk before looking Hogan's way. And that, to me, is the biggest thing that needs replacing with Edelman out.

I think we're going to see a committee approach until/unless someone really establishes himself as the chain mover. and I think you're missing some guys. In the early weeks, I'd be looking at:

D.A.
Hogan
Cooks
Burkhead
Lewis and/or White

as the guys getting work in the slot and/or just short space (under 10 yards) on 3rd down. That's not an area where Cooks has been making his hay in the NFL, though, so I'll be skeptical of him until he shows it.

I think we're going to see a committee approach until/unless someone really establishes himself as the chain mover. and I think you're missing some guys. In the early weeks, I'd be looking at:

D.A.
Hogan
Cooks
Burkhead
Lewis and/or White

as the guys getting work in the slot and/or just short space (under 10 yards) on 3rd down. That's not an area where Cooks has been making his hay in the NFL, though, so I'll be skeptical of him until he shows it.
True. Wasn't thinking about the running backs now for some reason but they'll be chain movers indeed.

Andy, I've always genuinely appreciated your analysis.

Please tell me your thoughts on the Patriots QB situation going forward.

The thought of this being Brady's final season here makes me feel my childhood

is over, though I'm 38.
Brady isn't going anywhere.
Why would this trade have any impact?
Are people suggesting this means Brady is done expecting jimmy to not have a back up?
Brady will be here as the starter 4-5 years or until he is injured.
Jimmy will be fine next year unless he makes the unconscionable decision to sign a cheap contract and become a career backup.

True. Wasn't thinking about the running backs now for some reason but they'll be chain movers indeed.
So , back to the original point. What Andy Johnson posted is correct. Hogan will pick up some JE slack, the RB will kick in a lot, and Dola will man the slot position very nicely..

That doesnt change that you are rewriting history calling him a sure thing. After a year he was considered a bust and what he did afterwards doesnt change that. Its easy to call someone a sure thing in retrospect.
It's also easy to call someone a bust prematurely.

I agree with that... I took that tweet as a more JG future type of comment along with the "don't read into the tea leaves tweet by Curran.

I just don't see the Patriots going into next season with a rookie backup with Brady's age even though he wants to play until he's 45.

Have to believe JG is the future. Can't imagine the Pats gambling on that next year.
So they will go into the season with JAG starting and a rookie backup????

I thought Brissett earned a roster spot but trading him for a Colts #1 overall is fair value.

How this translates into "Brady is done" is way beyond me?

No one on Earth saw this coming.
I didn't expect Jacoby to make the roster tbh. I kinda foolishly thought he'd be straight up cut just because of needs not so much his skill

So , back to the original point. What Andy Johnson posted is correct. Hogan will pick up some JE slack, the RB will kick in a lot, and Dola will man the slot position very nicely..
Statistically? Sure.

Maybe we need to write it in big letters onto the banner of patsfans.com:

DORSETT IS NOT A PUNT RETURNER

Wow....I guess I'm not surprised that they are moving Brissett....but have never heard of Dorsett and shocked that BB would move him to division rival......Jimmy G is the future baby....hope he will b ready....pretty shaky in preseason but I'm sure he will be ok once Brady retires

Same size as cooks. Still young. Didn't we see the same thing that happened with welker. In Miami he wasn't all that great until he got to New England.

No, Welker was a budding stud. I was pining for him in NE for several years before the Patriots pulled the trigger.

Statistically? Sure.
Well...how else do you measure production? I am sure he will pick up some emotional slack as well. I read Hogan is settling in nicely and becoming a good leader and influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes