PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect trade down scenario

Exactly.
If you have Maye and McCarthy ranked equal you take the picks and high five.
This draft is stocked in the middle rounds with Wr and defensive talent.
Plus you could use the picks to trade back up and if you really like a player or two.

This is how I would run the draft.
Force either Arizona or LA to take 3 for Harrison Jr.

How exactly do you force another team to take the player you want them to take? Vulcan Mind Meld?

Take Maye or Daniels at 3, it’s simple.
I am OK with that as well!
Just don’t want them to overthink this, trade down and not get potential franchise qb

Golden opportunity
Do not blow it

I'd be stunned if Maye/Daniels are not a Patriot by the end of draft night.

I think everything from the front office is a smoke screen. And they probably have McCarthy rated below Maye/Daniels.

I also have to wonder if Minnesota, maybe others, are going to try to take advantage of an inexperienced GM and first time HC.

I'd be stunned if Maye/Daniels are not a Patriot by the end of draft night.

I think everything from the front office is a smoke screen. And they probably have McCarthy rated below Maye/Daniels.

I also have to wonder if Minnesota, maybe others, are going to try to take advantage of an inexperienced GM and first time HC.
Wolf isn’t really an inexperienced GM.

Wolf was bred to this like a bird dog. He and Highsmith have a combined FO experience that well exceeds a good number of their peers.

But can you? Like, what if Minnesota then calls Arizona with a dump truck full of picks to move up from 11 to take Maye themselves? If you like the guy, don't play games. If you don't like the guy, take someone else or move down for significant assets. We would kill them if they wanted Maye but tried to get cute and lost him to a team that leap frogged them.

Yup, someone just rewatched Kevin Costner's "Draft Day" filck...

Can't get cute on draft day. If your guy is there, go for it...if not move down aggressively....

Can't get cute on draft day. If your guy is there, go for it...if not move down aggressively....
lmao I think me and my friends discuss this movie at least once a week.
Waiting for that bombshell to drop. Or some video leaked of one of these QBs being a awful human being or criminal.

Last time the Pats traded a #3 pick in the draft we got a #8 & #10 pick in return who turned out to be Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew. It’s ok if most of you are probably saying, “who”?? The #3 pick we traded was used by Seattle to select DL Cortez Kennedy who is now a proud member of the Hall of Fame. Let’s not have history repeat - take the QB you like best or whoever else you think would have the greatest positive impact. Also, not to put pressure on our de-facto GM, but I just read an article stating that while our owner is “encouraged” with E. Wolf *but* a GM “search” may still be coming. Sounds like making a decision that could set progress back another 3 - 4 years if the wrong choices are made is now part of his “job interview” while we’re all hoping for a “happy ending”! Is there an alternative universe where this makes any sense??

Last edited:
That reminded of an incident a few years ago.

I don’t remember which team it was that failed to get their pick in on time, but a few teams subsequently jumped their spot before they got the pick in.
In 2003 the Vikings did not get there pick in on time (7th) Jags and Panthers leapfrogged them.
Vikings ended up picking (9th)

In 2003 the Vikings did not get there pick in on time (7th) Jags and Panthers leapfrogged them.

In a related irony the Jags & Panthers went with solid offensive picks while the Vikings came away with a defensive standout in All Pro Kevin Williams, an all decade team player. So they fell in the septic system and came out with a rose

I am OK with that as well!
Just don’t want them to overthink this, trade down and not get potential franchise qb

Golden opportunity
Do not blow it

We agree completely on that Sam, we just have different preferences for the pick. I would be happy with McCsrthy as well, I just think he’s much more of a projection than the other 3. Imo he would definitely have to sit a full year, whereas I think the others could probably start breaking in during the 2nd half of the season. But I’m still fine with that, they aren’t going to be hoisting any hardware this season anyways, so to me it’s just about laying the ground for the future.

Last time the Pats traded a #3 pick in the draft we got a #8 & #10 pick in return who turned out to be Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew. It’s ok if most of you are probably saying, “who”?? The #3 pick we traded was used by Seattle to select DL Cortez Kennedy who is now a proud member of the Hall of Fame. Let’s not have history repeat - take the QB you like best or whoever else you think would have the greatest positive impact. Also, not to put pressure on our de-facto GM, but I just read an article stating that while our owner is “encouraged” with E. Wolf *but* a GM “search” may still be coming. Sounds like making a decision that could set progress back another 3 - 4 years if the wrong choices are made is now part of his “job interview” while we’re all hoping for a “happy ending”! Is there an alternative universe where this makes any sense??

This is something that’s largely been overlooked in this debate. There has been plenty of talk about his it’s risky taking a QB with a high pick, but little to none about the fact that you are still taking chances on the other first rounders as well, or when you have to trade up to try and get your QB in a future draft,,when the price tag is much higher.

If I’m not mistaken the Vikings did that twice with first round picks.

In a related irony the Jags & Panthers went with solid offensive picks while the Vikings came away with a defensive standout in All Pro Kevin Williams, an all decade team player. So they fell in the septic system and came out with a rose
They made a trade with the Ravens with 30 seconds left and thought it went through. It did not and all hell broke loose.
They did get Williams whom they wanted all along

The next year. Dallas did not get their pick in on time (I believe #6). Vikings were next but could not get there card up before the Chiefs beat them to it.
You think you would have been prepared for everything after the embarrassment the previous year

This is something that’s largely been overlooked in this debate. There has been plenty of talk about his it’s risky taking a QB with a high pick, but little to none about the fact that you are still taking chances on the other first rounders as well, or when you have to trade up to try and get your QB in a future draft,,when the price tag is much higher.

Post above. Dallas screwed up but Vikings who were next got beat to the table by the Chiefs

Ironically enough, Minnesota still ended up with the guy they wanted after not getting the pick in time.

Bolded continues to get overlooked. I can't for the life of me, especially in the AFC, see why the idea of passing up a franchise QB in top three is a good idea.

Ironically enough, Minnesota still ended up with the guy they wanted after not getting the pick in time.

Bolded continues to get overlooked. I can't for the life of me, especially in the AFC, see why the idea of passing up a franchise QB in top three is a good idea.

Agree completely. The evidence that you have to have a really good quarterback to be an actual contender is overwhelming. And once you get your franchise quarterback you get to dedicate all of your drafts for the foreseeable future to building around them, instead off giving up multiple high picks in search of that quarterback. There’s always going to be risk when trying to fill the position, but I would much rather take that risk with one high pick, than giving away three first round picks for the same thing. This said we will still see the same strawman arguments that they are “ just taking a qb to fill the position,” when in truth no one is arguing that they should take a qb if they don’t believe in them, and in fact everyone concedes that if they don’t believe in them then they need to take the 3 first rounders.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back