Pre-Post Game Observations, preseason wk 3 at Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, don't care enough to wait until the end of the game to post my comments:

1.) First and foremost, I was disgusted with the effort tonight. I don't care if a half dozen starters and many second stringers were out and the Pats ran a vanilla nickel defense all night, there was no excuse for the miserable execution. No excuses for the poor tackling, half-hearted effort, and penalties. I was most excited last week on how well prepared the team was last week and most upset about the lack of preparation for this game.

2.) Not impressed with the three man nickel defense tonight. There looked to be no gameplanning whatsoever. Yes, Haynesworth, Ellis, Bodden, Spikes, Fletcher, Warren, Carter and others were either not playing or not playing with the first defense for whatever reason, but I was hoping that they would still show the agression they showed in the first two preseason games. Belichick didn't have to scheme, but he really didn't scheme vs. the Bucs either.

3.) The o-line was miserable tonight. Vollmer's play was exceptionally disheartening because I wouldn't expect it from him. Light is in his first game back from surgery so I will give him a bit of a pass. Solder definitely struggled. So did the enterior of the line. Big Fs for everyone. I know it was up against Suh and Vanden Bosch; but show some effort.

4.) Welker was the only guy out there who showed consistent effort on offense. Hopefully his neck injury is nothing. Mayo was the only guy on defense.

5.) Worst game by McCourty since last September. He was beaten like an old mule.

6.) Clearly Ochocinco is still struggling with the playbook. We may have to temper our expectations at the start of the year and he might take a few weeks into the regular season until he makes an impact. I never expected him to be more than an 900-1000 yard receiver anyway because Brady won't focus on him like he did Moss. I may say 800-900 yards now.

7.) Edelman did play like he wanted to be taken off the bubble tonight and he may have with no other back up showing much.

8.) I was pissed off that the Pats players were fighting in between plays. They seem to get chippy when they are down. No call for it. Whether they started it or not, you act like Pros when you are getting your arses handed to you.

I am never get too excited or upset after a preseason game. The one thing that really bothered me about tonight was the lack of effort by the team. I give the Lions tons of credit for coming out and out playing the Pats on both sides of the ball, but the Pats dogged it all night. That is inexcusable in any game regular season, post season, or preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pre-Post Game Observations

Not to make excuses for them (although I am), but there's a hurricane back home for them. It's hard to play at Super Bowl effort like the Lions when that's going on. I'm going to assume this is just one isolated case unless we see it again. That said, it was awfully bad.

Maybe, just maybe, the better team won? The Lions looked All-World tonight
and brought back some horrid memories of SB42 the way they tooled our
entire team. BB has some serious work to do before the first game.

I don't know about that. I think the Pats are far better than they were tonight and not as good as they were last week. We have seen many teams dominate in the preseason and have losing records and others who suck in the preseason and go to the playoffs. We can't read too much into tonight just like we shouldn't have read too much into last week.

It is the preseason. Belichick tried something last week and something different this week. The Pats had a four man front attacking defense last week and a three man front (which switched to a four man front after a while) more passive defense this week.

I am serious when I say these 3 things:

Pick up the phone BB and give Randy Moss a call, I am sure he's still working out and he could step right into this offense.

Finally, I am tired of the BJGE 2 yards in a cloud of dust, I feel as though Ridley has earned the right to start in this offense, what a difference you see when he's not there. The kid makes plays through the ground and air. Start the kid. In a game like this, he would have taken a lot of heat off of Brady, that D-Line would have had to stay alot more honest with the Ridley threat in there.

Finally, good-bye Brandon Tate.

Last edited:

Not to make excuses for them (although I am), but there's a hurricane back home for them. It's hard to play at Super Bowl effort like the Lions when that's going on. I'm going to assume this is just one isolated case unless we see it again. That said, it was awfully bad.

I doubt the hurricane had anything to do with tonight.

They're professionals. If that causes them to play like that it's going to be a long season for us.

Agree'd....... defense got the game plan (all vanilla) and musta just said... Meh.... just the preseason.......... They completly mailed it in as far as effort is concerned. Embarassing.

Offensive line............. They were downright aweful..... Almost to the point that I'm a little concerned that they are not where we them to be in order to keep TFB upright.

None of the injuries seemed too bad...... lets hope not.

The Pats were playing vanilla. I didn't see them blitz much (but I'd have to revisit the tape to be sure). Detriot was throwing the kitchen sink at the Pats and they were obviously on their heels.

Ocho is thinking tooooooo much. F the playbook, anyone should pick it up in a week. He needs to stop being a perfectionist and catch the damn ball.

Welker is the only WR showing anything. Where is Branch this preseason?

Tate was trying to hard to make the team on kick off returns. The coaches will respect him more if he gets those 5-10 yards instead pulling a Maroney back there. Edelman looked better then Tate tonight.

Finally, I am tired of the BJGE 2 yards in a cloud of dust, I feel as though Ridley has earned the right to start in this offense, what a difference you see when he's not there. The kid makes plays through the ground and air. Start the kid.

I really think Ridley has earned some 1st team carries, but he has to be healthy first. I expect to see lots of Medlin and a little bit of Vereen next week.

I am serious when I say these 2 things:

Pick up the phone BB and give Randy Moss a call, I am sure he's still working out and he could step right into this offense.

Finally, I am tired of the BJGE 2 yards in a cloud of dust, I feel as though Ridley has earned the right to start in this offense, what a difference you see when he's not there. The kid makes plays through the ground and air. Start the kid.

1.) If Moss wants to be the water boy, I am all for it. Otherwise, the Pats don't need him. Sorry, but this is the same offense that scored more points than anyone else in the league last year. Ochocinco is an addition to the group, not replacing anyone. If he fails, it sucks but this is basically the same offense from last year.

2.) BJGE had over 1,000 yards, 13 TDs, and 4.4 yard per carry. He is the starter until proven otherwise. Ridley will get his carries though.

Vanden Bosch didn't play.

Let's not lose control........ There was no defensive game plan and it was a vanilla nickel all day.......... As the initial poster said, the only thing that is a concern is the lack of execution. You're not stopping anyone with that defense out there tonight, but at the very least, you have to execute.

Poor tackling, dropped int's (many).... just poor fundementals.

Vanden Bosch didn't play.

I thought he did. Sorry. I didn't follow the Lions players as much because I was focusing in on the offense. Probably should have paid more attention to the Lion players, it would have been less painful.

They're professionals. If that causes them to play like that it's going to be a long season for us.

Well, not just Irene. It'd have to be a combination of Irene, the fact that it's a mostly meaningless preseason game. I know I'd find it hard to perform at peak level in a game with no real meaning when I didn't know when I would even get home.

Bill is genius, part of his supperbowl; plan tonight, you'll see!
:cool:

One more thing:

Given the state of that horrible RG spot, I would seriously consider taking the shorter of the 2 LTs and moving him over into that RG spot, yes that would be Matt Light at 6'4" who is built alot more like a guard than Solder is. Keep Solder at LT and move Light inside, at this point, why not? It has to be better than what is on display over there now.

They're also human beings, many of whom have wives and young children.

Bill is genius, part of his supperbowl; plan tonight, you'll see!
:cool:

What is a supperbowl? Is that where he eats his dinners from? You trolls should probably learn how to spell before you trash talk.

One more thing:

Given the state of that horrible RG spot, I would seriously consider taking the shorter of the 2 LTs and moving him over into that RG spot, yes that would be Matt Light at 6'4" who is built alot more like a guard than Solder is. Keep Solder at LT and move Light inside, at this point, why not? It has to be better than what is on display over there now.

Solder is less likely to get Brady killed at RG than LT. I think that's the biggest concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe