PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Post Game Observations, preseason wk 3 at Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pre-Post Game Observations

Have you ever watched Steelers or Packers games? Brady is better than A-Rod or Big Ben WITH PROTECTION, but under pressure he's a below average quarterback at best.

And I meant that the o-line usually looks good, except for playoff games.

That is not correct. Brady does exceptionally well vs. inside pressure. He has problems against inside pressure. That is typical of pocket passers.

Looks like Borges hacked into some of the accounts around here... :yawn2:

Ok, don't care enough to wait until the end of the game to post my comments:

1.) First and foremost, I was disgusted with the effort tonight. I don't care if a half dozen starters and many second stringers were out and the Pats ran a vanilla nickel defense all night, there was no excuse for the miserable execution. No excuses for the poor tackling, half-hearted effort, and penalties. I was most excited last week on how well prepared the team was last week and most upset about the lack of preparation for this game.
2.) Not impressed with the three man nickel defense tonight. There looked to be no gameplanning whatsoever. Yes, Haynesworth, Ellis, Bodden, Spikes, Fletcher, Warren, Carter and others were either not playing or not playing with the first defense for whatever reason, but I was hoping that they would still show the agression they showed in the first two preseason games. Belichick didn't have to scheme, but he really didn't scheme vs. the Bucs either.
3.) The o-line was miserable tonight. Vollmer's play was exceptionally disheartening because I wouldn't expect it from him. Light is in his first game back from surgery so I will give him a bit of a pass. Solder definitely struggled. So did the enterior of the line. Big Fs for everyone. I know it was up against Suh and Vanden Bosch; but show some effort.
4.) Welker was the only guy out there who showed consistent effort on offense. Hopefully his neck injury is nothing. Mayo was the only guy on defense.
5.) Worst game by McCourty since last September. He was beaten like an old mule.
6.) Clearly Ochocinco is still struggling with the playbook. We may have to temper our expectations at the start of the year and he might take a few weeks into the regular season until he makes an impact. I never expected him to be more than an 900-1000 yard receiver anyway because Brady won't focus on him like he did Moss. I may say 800-900 yards now.
7.) Edelman did play like he wanted to be taken off the bubble tonight and he may have with no other back up showing much.
8.) I was pissed off that the Pats players were fighting in between plays. They seem to get chippy when they are down. No call for it. Whether they started it or not, you act like Pros when you are getting your arses handed to you.

I am never get too excited or upset after a preseason game. The one thing that really bothered me about tonight was the lack of effort by the team. I give the Lions tons of credit for coming out and out playing the Pats on both sides of the ball, but the Pats dogged it all night. That is inexcusable in any game regular season, post season, or preseason.

Definitely no game-planning.

Ocho's problem is not the playbook, but the coverage-based route modifications. He's never had such a thing in Cincinnati- and like you said he'll take quite a bit before he catches on, but it's not all on him, none of the wideouts (outside receivers) had any catches tonight. Not Price, not Ocho, not even Branch.

You also forgot to ream BOB a new one. Just because there's no game-planning doesn't mean you call a strongside IZ run on a 3rd and 1, because Connolly vs. Suh is the worst matchup on the entire line. Of course BJGE gets blown up for a loss.

Also the Lions chose to bring heavy pressure up the middle- where was the OZ run? The PA? Even a few screens?

The one effective PA we ran, the CB on Welker bite hard, leaving Welker free for the inside seam TD.

The playcalling was the one thing I was really concerned about.

Confused me too...but they kept doing the same things in the same situations...I'm guessing BB used this game to make a lot of tough decisions on personnel based on basic 1 on 1 matchups

Confused me too...but they kept doing the same things in the same situations...I'm guessing BB used this game to make a lot of tough decisions on personnel based on basic 1 on 1 matchups

Excellent point to make. We have to think that's his most pressing priority right now- who goes on the chopping block.

On the upside, Mallet continues to show flashes of greatness. Other than atrocious footwork, he did exhibit great field vision with that lateral flea-flicker, and the presence of mind to ensure his linemen were all on the LOS before spiking the ball, otherwise they'd have been nailed for illegal formation. That is the kind of attention to detail that a committed quarterback makes- so there is no question as to his dedication, I think, at this point.

If Jenkins had held on to his catch, that would have been one hell of a TD pass.

The Patriots just lost a meaningless game after two blowout wins in earlier meaningless games!

oh_noes.gif

McCourty stunk out the joint early. Does anyone really think that's going to happen 16 straight times in the regular season?

Brady was off. That happened in basically 3 games all last year.

Solder's not ready to be the starting LT. Not exactly a shocker....

The defense was missing half the starters. Is it really surprising that the Lions would move the ball under that scenario?

Connolly isn't good, can't handle top end opponents, and needs to have game plans drawn up to protect him. Does anyone think this wasn't known before tonight?

This team has crapped out a game or two in the exhibition season more than once before, yet it's still a top tier team.

Some of you need to have a beer. Take a valium. Do something to get past the panic about an exhibition game. Sheesh!

Last edited:

The Patriots just lost a meaningless game after two blowout wins in earlier meaningless games!

oh_noes.gif

McCourty stunk out the joint early. Does anyone really think that's going to happen 16 straight times in the regular season?

Brady was off. That happened in basically 3 games all last year.

Solder's not ready to be the starting LT. Not exactly a shocker....

The defense was missing half the starters. Is it really surprising that the Lions would move the ball under that scenario?

Connolly isn't good, can't handle top end opponents, and needs to have game plans drawn up to protect him. Does anyone think this wasn't known before tonight?

This team has crapped out a game or two in the exhibition season more than once before, yet it's still a top tier team.

Some of you need to have a beer. Take a valium. Do something to get past the panic about an exhibition game. Sheesh!

Good pt on trying to scheme something to protect Connelly. Wonder if they could run that double TE set in the backfield the Packers run few times.

Don't know if its already been said but Vaden Bosch didn't even play(thank God).

Last edited:

A lot of things seemed to shape up to make a poor night for the Pats. I'm not one to lay any blame at the refs, but they were definitely way too involved in this game on both sides, even taking forever just to make an offsides call? Ruined the flow of the game.

They will face more of this during the regular season, so hopefully they learn from it.

the only things i really have to say is that in my opinion it is good to have a game like this in pre season. McCourty had some completions on him that will keep him hungry and working. The defense got dominated that will light a fire under them come pre season and the offense spluttered for the 1st time in pre season.

Now i will say this for things we can take out of the game... i wasn't a big proponant of cutting tate, but i think that could be a possability if edelman can prove to be a good kick returner.

Ochocinco and Branch... they are the only two people i worry about at the moment. Only because we in my opinion need them to be consistantly catching balls on the outside. If they don't it's going to make life alot harder for welker, hern and Gronk thorugh the middle as defenses will key in on them.

Something that stuck out for me was that BJGE is absolutely worthless when the OL isn't dominating. He can't create anything for himself.

OL looks soft soft soft

D - McCourty was the most worrisome for me. The Lions went after him and were getting away with it.

Other than that...i'm sure the only person in NE who loved this result was Bill Belichick.

It seems to me that Brady is getting increasingly worse under pressure, which is a huge problem because good defenses have always been getting to him. Pats o-line is good but has been getting embarrassed in key games and I don't see how it'll be any different this season.

This

Happened in the PO losses against Baltimore and the Jets too, if and when the O Line is getting owned he has to find better ways to control a game, 3 step drops looking for 20 yard passes is never going to work

That said aside from Welker and the TE's we have nothing. Branch and Ochcincio never once looked like getting seperation and the RB screens to Woodhead is getting old and very defendable

The interior of the o-line was an issue all last year. Koppen will get destroyed by large NT's and we have no-one at RG. Hope Cannon can come on quickly

Bottom line, we'll be fine against 90% of the league and will score 40 ppg, its the big DL's, our interior OL and TB's skittishness that concern me

Definitely no game-planning.

Ocho's problem is not the playbook, but the coverage-based route modifications. He's never had such a thing in Cincinnati- and like you said he'll take quite a bit before he catches on, but it's not all on him, none of the wideouts (outside receivers) had any catches tonight. Not Price, not Ocho, not even Branch.

You also forgot to ream BOB a new one. Just because there's no game-planning doesn't mean you call a strongside IZ run on a 3rd and 1, because Connolly vs. Suh is the worst matchup on the entire line. Of course BJGE gets blown up for a loss.
Also the Lions chose to bring heavy pressure up the middle- where was the OZ run? The PA? Even a few screens?

The one effective PA we ran, the CB on Welker bite hard, leaving Welker free for the inside seam TD.

The playcalling was the one thing I was really concerned about.

To make it even worse I think they ran that play right after Connolly limped off the field hurt, so it was run behind Ohrnberger or whoever. It had no chance.

Something that stuck out for me was that BJGE is absolutely worthless when the OL isn't dominating. He can't create anything for himself.

OL looks soft soft soft

D - McCourty was the most worrisome for me. The Lions went after him and were getting away with it.

Other than that...i'm sure the only person in NE who loved this result was Bill Belichick.

BJGE is not elite by any means, but any RB other than Barry Sanders needs some hole to run through. The OL sucked tonight. I'm really worried about the right side.

BJGE is not elite by any means, but any RB other than Barry Sanders needs some hole to run through. The OL sucked tonight. I'm really worried about the right side.

Same here. The o-line isnt that strong like a few people think it is here. Never thought of Light as pro bowlish, he´s doing his job but not moore and RG Dan isnt doing it. Also koppen seems to get pushed back way too many times.

I think they are have done ok by playing great as a unit, maybe better than they are.

Lets hope cannons comes in and atleast gives a bit more power.

5.) Worst game by McCourty since last September. He was beaten like an old mule.

That was by far the most concerning element for me. Looking bad against Calvin Johnson is expected kinda, but Nate Burleson was consistently beating him, and even into the third quarter he wasn't getting it done.

The rest, I don't care so much about. Any other issue that was exposed tonight (guys like Suh can dominate the interior of our OL) were known issues long before now. RG was already a weakness of sorts, and then Connolly got hurt to make it even worse, so it wasn't really a shock that the right side of the line was a problem. McCourty's play was the only negative development that caught me off guard.

Last edited:

Vulnerable to screen pass.
Where was safety help on the deep jump balls.
RG...WTF
TB...stop playing with your hair on the bench ( :) ...but not really)
I love Edelperson....
Least talked about player this preseason....Branch
Watching the big WRs abuse our DBs......that Plaxico name scares me
The O looked finesse last night....before each fight
Suh is one dirty mother....
As I poured my 5th drink, I finally convinced myself that BB wanted this......but he killed my 21-0 season parley. Was that Tom touching his hair again?

Vulnerable to screen pass.
Where was safety help on the deep jump balls.
RG...WTF
TB...stop playing with your hair on the bench ( :) ...but not really)
I love Edelperson....
Least talked about player this preseason....Branch
Watching the big WRs abuse our DBs......that Plaxico name scares me
The O looked finesse last night....before each fight
Suh is one dirty mother....
As I poured my 5th drink, I finally convinced myself that BB wanted this......but he killed my 21-0 season parley. Was that Tom touching his hair again?

Tom... I don't mind you cavorting around with your wife, but that is THE worst $700 hair cut I've ever seen. Go to Big League and get a $15 regular wouldjya? And then throw 40+ TD's and win the MVP of the regular season and playoffs.

Thank you.

Tom... I don't mind you cavorting around with your wife, but that is THE worst $700 hair cut I've ever seen. Go to Big League and get a $15 regular wouldjya? And then throw 40+ TD's and win the MVP of the regular season and playoffs.

Thank you.

for crying out loud, the man has not won anything after coming out with the tomboy personna :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe