PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Addai better than critics think

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Addai runs like Travis Henry. He is a tough team player with some brute force between the tackles. His presence, and subtraction of "No Gain" James, has helped the Colts more than just on the field. The team now unquestionably belongs to Peyton. He no longer has to feed Edge's ego with garbage carries and yards. Watching Manning this year he is playing at a much higher level than ever before. He seems more comfortable as a leader, knowing he is the unquestionable top dog in the back field. His poise and footwork are at an all-time high. Whatever record the Colts end up with this year, I believe this is the best Colts team since Manning entered the league. Just like the Steelers went 15-1 in '04, and 11-5 in '05, but were actually a better team the second time around, I feel the Colts may not be 14-2 by season's end but still pose a greater threat than last year's squad. If Bob Sanders can regain his form before season's end, and McFarland can work his way into the nose position, and Reagor can come back before the season's done, the Colts will have their best shot to win the SB this year. That makes the game next week in Foxboro so crucial. IMO the Pats need to win that game and end up 13-3, at least, to secure homefield advantage. But Addai will run much harder than people expect, both next week and in the AFCCG. An AFFCG between these two teams will be a game for the ages, with the two best QBs of the generation at their absolute prime. Of course, Brady really needs another season with Jackson and Gabriel before his skills can truly be judged, as the Pats' passing game is in its infancy and will only reach grammar school by January. That is why the Pat/Colt contest at season's end will present such a formidable challenge. I'm nervous already.

PonyExpress said:
The team now unquestionably belongs to Peyton. He no longer has to feed Edge's ego with garbage carries and yards. Watching Manning this year he is playing at a much higher level than ever before. He seems more comfortable as a leader, knowing he is the unquestionable top dog in the back field. His poise and footwork are at an all-time high

I wonder how all those who have been predicting cap hell for the Colts will spin this because it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for the Colts to reach cap hell when their highest paid player is still among the best players in the league.

His presence, and subtraction of "No Gain" James

Right, because the guy only rushed for 1553, 1709, 662, 989, 1259, 1548, and 1506 yards in the seasons he was with you, on about 4.3 ypc. not to mention the 50 to 60 receptions per year. what a scrub, my grandma could do that.

Last edited:
mavfan2390 said:
Right, because the guy only rushed for 1553, 1709, 662, 989, 1259, 1548, and 1506 yards in the seasons he was with you, on about 4.3 ypc. not to mention the 50 to 60 receptions per year. what a scrub, my grandma could do that.
I'm a pats fan not a colts fan. As far as Edge goes... he was a supremely talented runner prior to his injury. During that period his production gave Manning a safety valve as he matured into the dominant passer he became. After Edge was injured, then returned, his reputation outdistanced his real impact: he had the ego of a superstar, the locker room presence of a superstar, but not the young legs. His greatest skill became durability, which is fine but replaceable. Manning was what made that O function, what threatened defenses. Edge benefited from 6 man fronts, presented no home-run capability, rarely broke tackles, and generally went down after first contact. Addai is the right man for the job now. He is a grunt, a footsoldier at the general's command, just as he was at LSU. The Colts are better off with him back there than they were with James over the past couple of years, and most of the pundits haven't picked up on it yet. They keep saying that "the Colts can't run the ball anymore". Before season's end, they will be running the ball as well or better than last year. Addai's only negative is a tough style that may compromise his durability long term.

You just contradict yourself with the points you make.

1. We agree James had the benefit of 6 man fronts.
Edge benefited from 6 man fronts

2. We agree this is Mannings best year ever.
Watching Manning this year he is playing at a much higher level than ever before.

3. Then we should also agree that Addai has the benefit of few opponents in the box, don't you think? Addai also gets to split carries with Rhodes, keeping his legs fresh.

The team now unquestionably belongs to Peyton. He no longer has to feed Edge's ego with garbage carries and yards. Watching Manning this year he is playing at a much higher level than ever before. He seems more comfortable as a leader, knowing he is the unquestionable top dog in the back field. His poise and footwork are at an all-time high

So Manning had to get rid of Edge to feel like "the man?" How come that kind of stuff doesn't happen to the Patriots? Everyone knows this is Brady's team even with egos like Dillon, and Harrison on the team. How come Manning couldn't handle James, but Brady can handle the egos on the Pats?

mavfan2390 said:
You just contradict yourself with the points you make.

1. We agree James had the benefit of 6 man fronts.

2. We agree this is Mannings best year ever.

3. Then we should also agree that Addai has the benefit of few opponents in the box, don't you think? Addai also gets to split carries with Rhodes, keeping his legs fresh.

So Manning had to get rid of Edge to feel like "the man?" How come that kind of stuff doesn't happen to the Patriots? Everyone knows this is Brady's team even with egos like Dillon, and Harrison on the team. How come Manning couldn't handle James, but Brady can handle the egos on the Pats?
We agree on everything. Addai is facing reduced fronts, but his hard slashing style presents more of a threat than Edge post-injury, especially on a muddy track on the road in the playoffs. Brady is a natural leader, one of the best ever. Manning is not; it took him time, humiliation, failures, to mature into a decent leader, and from what I've seen this year he has improved in that regard.

The Colts offense (anyone still want to compare Branch to Wayne; they are about as similiar as apples to hand grenades) impressed the Hell out of me yesterday; they went on the road to Denver and handed the former all world Donkos defense a good old ass kicking.

The Colts defense is brutal on the other hand and if Denver had another minute or so, is there anyone out there who does not think Denver would have gotten close enough for a game winning field goal.

Next Sundays game is not absolutely critical for the Patriots as I think if we finish second to Indy, we could go there and win the AFC Championship game, but if we finish third and have to go to Denver, bye bye season...........

Just revisiting a thread from October... sometimes a blind squirrel finds an acorn...

I think Addai is one of the better runners in the NFL.
Hard to compare him with Edge ... but he's real good
and he can run and catch ... perfect for what the colts need.

Addai runs like Travis Henry. He is a tough team player with some brute force between the tackles. His presence, and subtraction of "No Gain" James, has helped the Colts more than just on the field. The team now unquestionably belongs to Peyton. He no longer has to feed Edge's ego with garbage carries and yards. Watching Manning this year he is playing at a much higher level than ever before. He seems more comfortable as a leader, knowing he is the unquestionable top dog in the back field. His poise and footwork are at an all-time high. Whatever record the Colts end up with this year, I believe this is the best Colts team since Manning entered the league. Just like the Steelers went 15-1 in '04, and 11-5 in '05, but were actually a better team the second time around, I feel the Colts may not be 14-2 by season's end but still pose a greater threat than last year's squad. If Bob Sanders can regain his form before season's end, and McFarland can work his way into the nose position, and Reagor can come back before the season's done, the Colts will have their best shot to win the SB this year. That makes the game next week in Foxboro so crucial. IMO the Pats need to win that game and end up 13-3, at least, to secure homefield advantage. But Addai will run much harder than people expect, both next week and in the AFCCG. An AFFCG between these two teams will be a game for the ages, with the two best QBs of the generation at their absolute prime. Of course, Brady really needs another season with Jackson and Gabriel before his skills can truly be judged, as the Pats' passing game is in its infancy and will only reach grammar school by January. That is why the Pat/Colt contest at season's end will present such a formidable challenge. I'm nervous already.

:eek:

Wow, just, wow. This is, quite possibly, the greatest prediction I've ever seen.

Kudo's, PonyExpress.

From an impartial observer: I actually think Addai would have been a better fit for the Patriots in their system than Maroney. Addai is a great runner between the tackles.

The Patriots OL needs to change their run blocking schemes if they want to take full advantage of Maroney's skills.

Yep, he is a great back who has the benefit or running behind an O line that holds 99% of the time and gets called on it 1% of the time.

Mannings best year? Hell no it isnt.

He had frigging 49 TD's in 2004, plus he was far off from that this year and he sucked in much of the 2006 playoffs. No chance in hell that his 2006 season was better than his 2004 season.

an O line that holds 99% of the time and gets called on it 1% of the time.

Bingo, Double G! No truer words could've ever been spoken about that pack of cheaters. It's no small wonder Petunia gets sacked < 20 times per season.

Yep, he is a great back who has the benefit or running behind an O line that holds 99% of the time and gets called on it 1% of the time.

Yeah, because we all heard every team the Colt's played complaining about it.

Oh wait, never mind, we didn't. In fact, outside of this board, I've never heard of this AT ALL.:rolleyes:

wait people criticize addai? all i've heard around here is hes a pretty good back..but hes helped by Peyton and the WRs when you compare him to Maroney. i dont recall people sayign its all the QB and WRs and that he isnt good

You've never heard about the Colts holding outside of this board huh; sure, ok, whatever you say. That's like saying you've never heard about the Broncos O line being a bunch of cheap shot bastards outside of say a Chiefs/Chargers board.

Man, do you look at things through Colts colored glasses, ZERO objectivity.

almost forgot that addai, although got the majority of the handoffs later int he year, shared his carries with rhodes....

You've never heard about the Colts holding outside of this board huh; sure, ok, whatever you say. That's like saying you've never heard about the Broncos O line being a bunch of cheap shot bastards outside of say a Chiefs/Chargers board.

Man, do you look at things through Colts colored glasses, ZERO objectivity.
There is a term for what you're saying and it's called sour grapes. It goes both ways. For example, go back and look at film of Patriots playoffs games after the 2001, 2003 and 2004 seasons and you'll see a lot of hits by Patriots that could have been called unnecessary roughness or hits to the head. But, they were just "letting them play" (thank God). WRT the latter, on Ty Law's interception return TD against the Rams in SB 36, Mike Vrabel clearly slapped Warner in the face mask but there was no call. If that call gets turned around, there, maybe, goes the super bowl win. And, I am a Patriots fan.

Last edited:
There is a term for what you're saying and it's called sour grapes. It goes both ways. For example, go back and look at film of Patriots playoffs games after the 2001, 2003 and 2004 seasons and you'll see a lot of hits by Patriots that could have been called unnecessary roughness or hits to the head. But, they were just "letting them play" (thank God). WRT the latter, on Ty Law's interception return TD against the Rams in SB 36, Mike Vrabel clearly slapped Warner in the face mask but there was no call. If that call gets turned around, there, maybe, goes the super bowl win. And, I am a Patriots fan.

Thanks, great post.:) It does indeed work both ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back