PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we draft #3 overall ?

I'm of the mindset that we have a lot of holes so trading back would be my first choice. I have to imagine that there would be plenty of teams interested but I wouldn't want to go further than 9. They should still be able to land a top 3 OT or top 3 WR. Maybe Bowers slips. I wasn't initially liking JJ McCarthy but the more I hear he's climbing up the board the more I'm intrigued. The fact is there doesn't seem to be a consensus on who's a can't miss QB in this class.

That said if forced to select at 3 I'm taking the QB be it Maye or Daniels or Caleb if he somehow slips.

This will not happen in late April, but a simulator had the Cardinals offer their 27 and 90 to move up for Harrison

4: Jayden Daniels (QB)
27: Troy Fautanu (OT…but possible stud G)
34: Xavier Worthy (WR)
68: Patrick Paul (OT)
90: Malik Washington(WR)
102: Cam Harr (CB)
136: Theo Johnson (TE)
179: Dylan Laube (RB)
185: Keith Randolph (DL)
231: Tip Reiman (TE)

You know what's wild? The only QB picked from #2-#9 who won a SB [edit: as a starter] in the last 38 years is Trent Dilfer, and he didn't even win it with his original team.

In the SB era, in addition to Dilfer, we have PSimms, McMahon, Bob Griese, and Len Dawson. That's it... in ~60 years.

Last edited:
You know what's wild? The only QB picked from #2-#9 who won a SB [edit: as a starter] in the last 38 years is Trent Dilfer, and he didn't even win it with his original team.

In the SB era, in addition to Dilfer, we have PSimms, McMahon, Bob Griese, and Len Dawson. That's it... in ~60 years.
I’ve seen the stat. If he’s your guy, take him. If Brady, Manning, Elway or Mahomes were drafted pick 3 does that change anything? If he’s great he’s great.

If he’s not your QB, take the tackle, wr, trade back whatever. We have no control over this stuff.

After the Vikings trade yesterday I believe they will be looking to trade with NE for #3 and send us #11, 23 and their # 1 next year so they can move up for Maye to pair with Darnold. This would keep us in the running for a quality OT (I was not a fan of Tyron Smith as we are not ready to compete right away). We need to take our medicine for a year and build the roster which this trade will help us do. Jaiden Daniels and Joe Borrow were not thought of as top picks 1 year before their draft so who knows who may be available at QB in 2025 for us. If we could get Fashanu at #11 then at #23 maybe Byron Thompson (Bowers if he drops this far) and at #34 target one of the talented corners that they like.

Don’t draft a QB.

We do not know if the Pats Draft folks are in love with Daniels or Maye, their attitude will dictate what they do with #3. If you do land Daniels or Maye are the Pats putting them into a bad situation as there are so many holes in this offense.
I have been in the camp that we trade down and get some draft capital to start the rebuild. The proposed Minnesota trade is intriguing our 3rd for their 11th, 23rd and other picks. Read that McCarthy is moving up the draft boards, but once again we have no idea how the Pats draft folks feel about him either.

If the rumors are true that the Commanders really like JJ McCarthy at 2 so the players available at 3 are Maye, Daniels, and Harrison --- should the Pats seek a trade to #4 or #5 to pick up a little bit of ammo AND still get one of those three? The incentive to move up from those teams would be to preclude the Pats trading deeper down and getting jumped for their guy?

OR should the Pats stay at #3 and grab their #1 guy remaining?

Personally, in this scenario, a trade to #4 or #5 with a 3rd round sweetener would be my preference

If the rumors are true that the Commanders really like JJ McCarthy at 2 so the players available at 3 are Maye, Daniels, and Harrison --- should the Pats seek a trade to #4 or #5 to pick up a little bit of ammo AND still get one of those three? The incentive to move up from those teams would be to preclude the Pats trading deeper down and getting jumped for their guy?

OR should the Pats stay at #3 and grab their #1 guy remaining?

Personally, in this scenario, a trade to #4 or #5 with a 3rd round sweetener would be my preference
I don't see it being a real option unless the Pats dislike Daniels and Maye.
Harrison is irrelevant as they need to take a QB high.
The teams trading up for a QB start at 6 with Giants, then 11,12 and 13.
You can't go to 4 or 5, the only way Cards or Chargers trade up is so they can trade down for a bigger haul with one of the QB needy teams. Cards and Chargers are way more likely to trade down than up.
Going to 6 won't give a haul worth giving up a potential franchise QB.
All these teams that are willing to trade assets to move up is because they need a franchise QB and they would not trade #3.
Pats are in the same boat, if they have the QB's all rated as potential franchise QB's you just take the highest rated one. It's highly doubtful they have them all ranked equally.

Maye or McCarthy seem the best fits for NE - both in terms of the style we seem set up to play under AVP and in terms of playing in the elements in NE.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back