PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do we draft #3 overall ?

So draft him and surround him with adequate talent, like they should have done with Mac.
Lol that should be the plan for any QB, but we can all agree that Daniels would be better than Mac in that scenario.

But I'd be happy with either Maye or Daniels cause they both have really high celling, the only down side of Daniels is his slender frame. I'd be fine with MHJ if we can trade up for a QB in the first cause I believe McAdoo has a good track record of analyzing good QB.

There are three - and Only three - QBs in whom I have interest:

Drake Maye, either at #3 or after a slight trade-down with the Chargers for #s 5 & 139 plus their 3rd- & 6th-rounders next year;

Bo Nix after Multiple trade-downs into the late teens/early 20s for extra Day 2 picks both this year & next;

And Spencer Rattler late in the 3rd round with one of the picks acquired from the trade-down at #3.

Neither want nor trust Williams, Daniels or especially Penix; McCarthy = Corky Lite.

There are three - and Only three - QBs in whom I have interest:

Drake Maye, either at #3 or after a slight trade-down with the Chargers for #s 5 & 139 plus their 3rd- & 6th-rounders next year;

Bo Nix after Multiple trade-downs into the late teens/early 20s for extra Day 2 picks both this year & next;

And Spencer Rattler late in the 3rd round with one of the picks acquired from the trade-down at #3.

Neither want nor trust Williams, Daniels or especially Penix; McCarthy = Corky Lite.
I'm with you on Maye and Rattler but only Rattler if you don't draft QB early and get a Mayfield type signed as QB.
Also agree on Penix and JJ,
I would take Daniels or Wiliams tho.
Bo Nix just does not do it for me.
Average depth of throw was 6.8 yards ranking 193rd in D-1, Daniels, Maye, Penix, McCarthy were all over 10.
27% of his passes are behind the line of scrimmage. Was #1 on the country in yards off of screen passes.
He has a 4.1% Big time throw rate, half of Daniels and Maye.
I do not want to watch check down after check down. I can't watch dink and dunk all day, no thanks.
He just doesn't have anything that stands out.

It's all contingent on what their scouting says. Meaning:

1) Don't take a 1st round QB you don't REALY believe in because you "have to." Otherwise you probably get Mac 2.0. Go BPA on another offensive piece instead, or trade back if someone wants to REALLY overpay you.

BUT

2) If you think a guy within reach is the franchise guy, you just take him at #3 and don't try to be cute with trading back and hoping he's still there later or whatever.

I'm with you on Maye and Rattler but only Rattler if you don't draft QB early and get a Mayfield type signed as QB.
Also agree on Penix and JJ,
I would take Daniels or Wiliams tho.
Bo Nix just does not do it for me.
Average depth of throw was 6.8 yards ranking 193rd in D-1, Daniels, Maye, Penix, McCarthy were all over 10.
27% of his passes are behind the line of scrimmage. Was #1 on the country in yards off of screen passes.
He has a 4.1% Big time throw rate, half of Daniels and Maye.
I do not want to watch check down after check down. I can't watch dink and dunk all day, no thanks.
He just doesn't have anything that stands out.

Those are some excellent numbers to consider... Nix is gonna be throwing this weekend at the combine, so maybe he'll try to allay the concerns that all these short throws were not as much by design as they were by QB deficiencies...

Alt and MHJr are the only two players that you can almost 100% guarantee will play to their draft position from the get go. And they're both at positions of dire need.

However the WR class, and to a lesser extent the OT class, is very deep whereas the QB's are exciting but flawed. So it's a tough call.

What the Pats do at 3 will be 100% deciated by what Chicago and Washington do before them.

I continue to believe that while tempting we need to trade down and get more picks. I am looking at the QB hungry teams at #6, 11, 12 and 13 as good options. If we want a true #1 receiver than just the Giants are likely the only ones we could trade with and get an impact WR (I like Malik Nabors). Drake Maye lost his weapons in his final season is the main reason for the drop in production and also the drop in play we all saw from the 2023 tape. Unless we do some huge things in FA (not always the solution) the kid will have very little talent in New England so I cannot expect him to carry the team.

Now if we sign a good veteran QB who will play in 2024 and give Maye a year but at # 3 QBs are expected to start in year 1 most of the time. I think if we can trade down but still pick up a good OT/WR is where I am leaning toward with maybe a look at one of the second tier QB's that the team falls in love with (Pennix is my choice). If one of the other two QB's for some reason slide to #3 I would be more likely to be good with QB but we still have a long way to go with the roster :).

It has to be the Ohio State WR or the Notre Dame LT if we stay at 3. Difference makers at positions of desperate need.

If QB Maye is available, that would make it tougher.

I’m looking to take Spencer Rattler, the QB from South Carolina, in the second round.

Stand Pat! Take Maye, Daniels or JJ.

Stand Pat! Take Maye, Daniels or JJ.
icksnay on jj. if we do trade back w/ the gints

6. t j. alt
34. wr a. mitchell
39. wr l. mcconkey
47. t p. paul
68 rb b. corum
104. te b. sinnot

alt on the left paul on the right slide onwenu back inside. i want to stay put and take whoever drops but looking at this in print i'm starting to talk myself into trading back. i still need a qb....maybe sign mayfield or squeeze penix in somewhere in the 2nd.

1.) Chicago takes Caleb.
2.) Washington takes Daniels.
3.) Harrison or maye? Or does someone offer us a king’s ransom for the pick?????

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back