PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Releases are IN

Status
Not open for further replies.
My initial reaction is this roster does not appear to be as strong as it looked like it would be after April's draft.

- Connolly AND Wendell is a big surprise to me. We now have 3 backup G/C's with Kaczur able to play G in a pinch while we only have 1 backup T on the roster

- Crable to IR is a disappointment, he was one of the guys you hoped would take a step up this year.

- Giving up a 5th for Alex Smith who didn't make the roster

-Ninkovich on the team is another surprise

I would have rather we kept o callighan over slater....

only one backup T....at least until levoir comes off the pup...Maybe sooN?

EXTREMELY suprised at the trade for mathews and trade away of thomas....whos plays FB? thomas is gone, and we dont know if the new TE can do it....

My initial reaction is this roster does not appear to be as strong as it looked like it would be after April's draft.

- Connolly AND Wendell is a big surprise to me. We now have 3 backup G/C's with Kaczur able to play G in a pinch while we only have 1 backup T on the roster

- Crable to IR is a disappointment, he was one of the guys you hoped would take a step up this year.

- Giving up a 5th for Alex Smith who didn't make the roster

-Ninkovich on the team is another surprise

Pt 1: Me too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of them gets the axe in the next couple of days- having Vollmer backing up both tackle spots is a scary proposition

Pt 2 and 4, I think, are related. 2 straight years of IR means, as far as I'm concerned, that the chances of Crable ever amounting to anything are pretty small. Ninkovich and Woods have both shown a lot the last few weeks, though, so it doesn't worry me at all.

3: Hey, it happens. Not a big deal, IMO. If it made Watson and Baker work harder for their spots, and helps Watson, in particular, turn the corner, then that has value.

Last edited:
Slater made it...but is it possible that his injury may have needed another day or two for swelling to go down before they can take a more accurate look at it before he goes on IR?

Last edited:
I would have rather we kept o callighan over slater....

only one backup T....at least until levoir comes off the pup...Maybe sooN?

EXTREMELY suprised at the trade for mathews and trade away of thomas....whos plays FB? thomas is gone, and we dont know if the new TE can do it....

Matthews is a better run blocker than Thomas, so it's likely upgrade in that dept. IMO we'll still probably see a TE playing FB, just not sure which one.

Last edited:
Biggest surprise for me was keeping 3 backup interior OL, followed by Slater not being IRed. If they add anybody new in the next couple days, I'd imagine the cut would come from one of those positions. Glad they were able to redshirt Crable (again) and Bussey to IR. I'll be curious to see if Ninkovich does get converted to ILB - it seems he might have the skills and body type for it.

THIRD TIME I have tried to post this as somehow when I submit...it disappears and doesn't happen....
BUT anyway...I had mentioned the whole OL situation with only 1 backup at OT..my thoughts are that this is a work in progress and that Wendell or Connolly may go..if an OT is brought in. Same can be said for the Slater situation... His injury was Thurs PM and it might be his injury is in a gray area time wise...basically 36 hrs after and it might not be clear..so why IR him that easily. As people have said...in a day or so...MAYBE IR...when needed. The whole Thomas thing was to me weird..as they ONLY got a 7th...and Matthews IS a blocking TE..but a H Back?? Hope so..THAT might work out OK..although Thomas had a great camp and made strides..only for a 7th...Odd....
I do think they'll have a 3rd QB by Buffalo..and I do not see Morris or BJGE gone..Was surprised at CTaylor's serious injury as well as Crable's..a BIG disappointment..two years 2 IRs...not a great way to start a career...although WillieMcG started out with tons of injuries...not as bad..but chronic ones it seemed.
Congrats to Rob Ninkovitch for making the team..a surprise..a good one!! Also to Myron Pryor who many seem to have forgotten about......
Disappointed that Nunn and Ventrone are gone..Good luck to both...
But this is a roster in flux...I am SURE there will be player moves in the next 9 days.

This is the roster for now. Belichick needs to see who is available.

Most of us expect us to add a quarterback and perhaps even a center/guard. In any case, there is no rush. A veteran signed before Game One gets paid for the whole year. A veteran signed after Game One only pays for the portion of the season that he is on the squad.

There weren't many roster player surprises. Almost all of us though Thomas sucked before Smith was signed and then looked terrible. Then, over the last few weeks, based on nothing, all of a sudden, Thomas was a keeper. We all seemed to fall victim to this illusion. The reality is that Belichick didn't like his tight ends and did all he could to get a set of three that would work. Watson as the #2 and a blocking TE certainly makes sense.

Ninkovitch beat out Crable, pure and simple. Alexander beat out Lenon. That's what competition is all about. And no, I am not happy with Alexander as the first backup ILB off the bench.

I'm OK with the OL choices. Wendell isn't much of a choice at center. I suspect that both Wendell and Connolly will need to be active.

I agree with others that Slater will be sent to the IR when a spot is needed, perhaps for a quarterback. As was the case with Thomas, there are also other players who go if upgrades can be found.

My guess is that Morris is not ready to be active. Green-Ellis was the player who was more valuable than anyone cut, so he made the roster. He could be here for a week, until the PUPPIES are activated or all season. In any case, for me, he and Slater are the #52 and #53 players.

at least until levoir comes off the pup...Maybe sooN?

If soon you mean halfway through the season, then yeah, soon.;)

Otherwise, it won't be until at least game 7, when LeVoir is eligible.

Last edited:
Only 3 Offensive Tackle. Really Bill? (I won't count Levoir until he's off the PUP.)

Re: Releases are IN!

Only one shocker, and not even a big one. O'Callaghan

I think that the bigger shocker is Richard. O'Callaghan isn't a shocker considering that the Pats drafted Vollmer...

Why cut Britt? Why not Wesley, he can at least go on PS.

3 T and 6 G/C. Mankins could play T in a pinch, maybe.

Ninkovitch beat out Crable, pure and simple.

Seems to me that if it were "pure and simple," Crable would have been cut.

Why is everyone so certain that the guy isn't really injured?

He is injured. Perhaps he could be back in 2 weeks, in 2 months or for the playoffs. If he were a starter, he might very well have made the team, awaiting his availability or when it was known that he wasn't available for the season.

If his injury was clearly season ending, I would think that he would have put on the IR before now.

Seems to me that if it were "pure and simple," Crable would have been cut.

Why is everyone so certain that the guy isn't really injured?

Although Slater's injury looked bad, if it's only a hyper-extension with no tissue or ligament damage, then he'll be back and ready in a few weeks.

Honestly, if nothing was torn or broken, then there's no rush to put Slater on IR. Let him heal, and be ready down the pike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes