PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Moss to Vikings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After listening to that and reading everything thats been written/tweeted tonight, I think at some point tomorrow Moss will be a Minnesota Viking

I think I am going to cry. Not because I think the trade will kill us or anything, I just didn't want it to end like this

Schefter reporting that BB and Moss never even saw each other today and there was no dustup, either Tanguays wrong or Schefter is.

Schefter was wrong about the Mankins thing earlier in the year, just throwing that out there..

I dont think whether or not Moss and BB met today has anything to do with the deal

Different circumstances. Our defense didn't run through Milloy. Not even in part. Our offense, at least in part, runs through Randy Moss at this point. What he does opens up EVERYTHING for the rest of the receivers. Trading him, especially for a third rounder, is a HORRIBLE idea.

Your age is showing. Yes it did in 2001. Milloy was THE leader on defense and the guy making the calls in XXXVI. Vrabel was the new JAG on the block, Bruschi was just coming into his own, Willie was still working his way into a FT position and TJ was wasn't an every down back. Problem with him was once he got that ring he was content to coast on the field and talk a lot about getting your credit (vs. the scheme) off it. Bill tried to wake his ass up by requesting he take a pay cut commensurate with his 2002 play, and Milloy scoffed at the proposition. It did wake him up measurably for a time, but absent the system he wasn't worth the money. He admitted around the time he went to Atlanta that in retrospect he had maturity issues at the time.

If it is in fact true that Moss had his agent request a trade after his week 1 post game performance that led to that sitdown with Bill, and if the reports that he had words with Bill again today after playing the good soldier in public last evening, then Randy simply doesn't belong here where we win rings because unselfish players do what is best for the team. Talent is seductive, but at the end of the day it's mental toughness and physical toughness and will to win that seperates the winners from the talents... Randy wants his money. I get that, not that he hasn't already collected a boatload of cash in his 13 year career. But if the $$$ matters to him more than the chance to compete to win a ring here, it's time to end the experiment - which is all this ever was... He never said he came here to win a ring. He came here to resurrect his career and in that respect he succeeded. This week he launched a new marketing venture, some sort of fantasy football website. Tough concept to launch when you were targeted once and had no catches on MNF.

Vince was at Gillette today, lots of players were, he was on with Dale and Holley in studio at the stadium. They were asking him about his role and if it's hard for him to deal with not compiling stats sometimes. Apparently he was overheard on some game sounds tape after the Buffalo game lamenting to a teamate he only had half a tackle. He said he's competitive and he wants to get sacks and tackles for losses, but he wants the team to win more. And when it gets to him he just looks at the sign in the locker room that reminds players what wins. Mental toughness. Doing what is right for the team even when everything isn't going right for you.

We're a quarter of the way through the season. What's Moss on pace for statistically... For $9M per you have to do more than draw coverage, you have to beat it pretty consistently. You can survive Moss not producing as long as he's contributing. However, if he is threatening to derail everything you've fought to instill in this young team over the last two seasons, you do whatever it takes to insure he doesn't get the chance to.

gimme a break, even a Life-long Chicago Bears fan knows (I chose this fan due to his surely dire Hatred of #4), THE BRETT FAVRE-LED VIKINGS were one stupid Brad Childress mistake away from Raping Peyton Manning in the big one last year..

You can hate the silver fox all you want, but well see whos laughing when one of the top 3 WR's in the game is CATCHING A BALL, BECAUSE WE ARE ACTUALLY THROWING IT TO HIM

I mean in one of your guy's games, at one point he had 2 Rec for 2 TD's.... I know belichecks a genius and all, but Then i guess it would take Isaac Newton to know that you need to throw it to eighty-one.

All you guys that are pissed off about losing the Freak, need to realise, if you don't use it you LOSE IT.. We wont make that mistake twice

If this trade happens, you soon will realize that the Randy Moss you get now is not the Randy Moss you had earlier. He will alternately thrill and frustrate you. He's more mature but still high maintenance, and certainly will not sacrifice his body to catch balls. Don't expect him to carry the load. His value now is just as much for decoy purposes as for scoring touchdowns.

hey guys, vikings fan here. I wouldn't be surprised if we shop any of the following players along with a rd 2 or 3..

Chad Greenway, Madieu Williams, Tyrell Johnson, Asher Allen, Antoine Winfield, Bernard Berrian, Toby Gerhart, Bryant McKinnie, Greg Camarillo, Hank Baskett, Greg Lewis (if you would want him back), Ray Edwards, Jimmy Kennedy

But honestly, if you guys did trade Randy back to his RIGHTFUL HOME! I would forever love the patriots.. I mean you guys will cream everyone with the next draft (2011 or 2012 :/) but well enjoy our ring from 2010..

Players you ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT GET: Visanthe Shiancoe, Brett Favre, Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Kevin Williams, Chris Cook, Cedric Griffen, Steve Hutchinson, E.J. Henderson, Sidney Rice, Jared Allen

You have a better chance of winning a Superbowl with Tarvaris Jackson than you do Brett Favre. What do you think last year was a fluke? That is what he does, that is who he is. If it wasn't for Desmond Howard, Favre would have 0 rings.

I don't understand. this is ONE DAY after BB finally inspired the team that they can do it, that no one should count them out. The team was finally rallied and set to go on to great things later in the season.

How could he give up on them after that? How could he say that the doubters were right all along and this team has no chance to contend?

This makes NO sense.

Scrapbook this for yourselves geniuses.

Pats will be 8-8 at past after Moss's loss and Welker will be out with injury by game 12.

Enjoy all your great postings! Keep whistling!

Since Moss is floating ideas can I float one too?

The Pats used Randy as a decoy on Monday because they wanted to get the younger guys more touches to evaluate them more before the trade.

Actually, that's a really dumb idea. I take it back!

So who do you guys think pats pick with their new 3rd rounder? Another midget cornerback or an injury-prone linebacker?

No....We've got so many,we'll donate one to YOUR team,nitwit:bricks:

Schefter reporting that BB and Moss never even saw each other today and there was no dustup, either Tanguays wrong or Schefter is.

Tanguay is 100% wrong.

There is no reason for Moss to confront BB. He knows already what is going on. They were working on a trade for Moss prior to this game (Glazer/Rappaport).

This jibes in with what other people have reported. Namely that Moss had his agent ask for a trade after week one.

Also Tanguay is far from being an insider when it comes to the NFL.

I think I am going to cry. Not because I think the trade will kill us or anything, I just didn't want it to end like this

That's how I feel right now too. I just didn't imagine Moss being traded to the Vikes especially during the bye week. As much as I love the Vikes as my NFC team.... this hurts. :(

Yes I saw two plays....highlighted ...where he was open. Could've been more. No one knows.

Since they went to Randy so infrequently...I'm sure the fin fan had his eye's locked on that match up...the whole evening....ignoring all else...I'm sure the instant replay at the stadium keyed on Moss's match up all evening.

My opinion is that he was open more than the game would indicate and that is just as valid as a bias fan saying "Yeah he was covered all night".

Actually, yes... I keyed in on that match up pretty much all game. You never get to watch the secondary play when at home on your TV. I cant stand the damn sideline TV angle. The sooner they get a "Madden-like" view or the equivalent that shows the whole field and (gasp!)... the whole play... the better. I've seen plenty of the front 7 b/c they are always on the screen on TV. Against your passing offense where you can see the whole field at the game, I was watching the secondary.

Vontae has seemed to be playing great this year, and everything I've read has been great... but I wanted to see it with my own eyes, especially up against such a tough test in Moss.

Last edited:
Something that just popped in my head. Do you think it's possible that Belichick's "coversation" with Randy after the Cincinnati game had to do with a trade? Essentially a deal between the two sides for Randy to keep playing hard and that Bill would look to trade him to a team willing to extend him during the bye? If such a conversation took place it would explain the lack of involvement on Monday and possibly explain the contract talk coming out after game 1 (Randy attempting to force the issue after having a great camp and not being extended). Just complete speculation on my part, but it seems like such a strange situation on so many levels and that one missing piece seems to tie some things together, at least for me.

I don't understand. this is ONE DAY after BB finally inspired the team that they can do it, that no one should count them out. The team was finally rallied and set to go on to great things later in the season.

How could he give up on them after that? How could he say that the doubters were right all along and this team has no chance to contend?

This makes NO sense.

No, it doesn't make any sense unless we have someone to replace him with. I don't see any receiver currently on our roster with Randy's skills. I also don't see Vincent Jackson coming over to New England... much less learning the offense and being able to make an impact in enough time to give defenses like the Ravens, Jets, and Steelers fits. This really would be a horrible trade for us.

Re: Mixed Feelings on Moss

AJ, I agree with your sentiments, as usual. I have no problem breaking this out as its own thread. It deserves more than just another post in the massive thread of 30+ pages and counting.

Yes I saw two plays....highlighted ...where he was open. Could've been more. No one knows.

Since they went to Randy so infrequently...I'm sure the fin fan had his eye's locked on that match up...the whole evening....ignoring all else...I'm sure the instant replay at the stadium keyed on Moss's match up all evening.

My opinion is that he was open more than the game would indicate and that is just as valid as a bias fan saying "Yeah he was covered all night".

Do you really believe the bullsh*t that spews out of your mouth?

And again you ignored the fact that Kontra, a Pats fan was there and stated the same thing.

You should stick to pushnpencils! I'll take the several media members and two fans who stated that Moss was covered all night. Over your "Two plays" and your imagination.

I'm done you truly don't have a clue what you are talking about, talk out of your ass, lie and ignore any challenge that will prove your ignorance about football.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Re: Mixed Feelings on Moss

I dont see how we are a better football team without Randy Moss.
I do think with Brady at the helm, we make adjustments to the offense to compensate for it though, at least to a degree.
What is really troubling me is that for the first time since he has been here, Ive been very disappointed in Moss' play. Now that doesn't mean
I want him gone, because disappointing and useless are very different things.
In fact, at first I put most of the blame for the Jet loss on Brady, but it didnt reduce my overall opinion of him a bit. But after watching the game on tape, and the plays in question, I blamed Moss. I saw poor effort on the deep Int, and a weak attempt to catch the 2nd with one hand, when he could have used 2, then tipping the 2nd into an Int. But, at the time and now, I recognize there can be more than meets the eye, for example not going all out on the deep ball could be cat and mouse because he never expected it, and that cat and mouse is part of what gets him open deep.
I recognize that he has been a decoy most of this season, but that tells me POSSIBLY either his skills have eroded, or his attitude and effort are not there because since he has been here, he has always taken away coverage but has also caught passes.
In th first 4 games, his #s over a full season would project to 36 catches for less than 600 yards. That is not the Moss we saw from 07-09 at any point.
I would like to think he stays and gets his head straight.
I am pretty sure that whatever draft pick we add to this young team wont return value for what Moss can give us this year....I dont think this is a Seymour-like shot at a top 5 pick, and may not even be a #2.
I can only see 2 reasons why we would make such a trade. One is that Moss has lost enough that his unique abiities arent so unique any more, and I do not believe that, because even if it were so, he could be a decoy for a season and have value. The other is that Moss' attitude has made it clear that he is gong to be a negative influence on the team, that he is back to Oakland Randy.
I do not want this trade to be made, but I recognize that if it is, we aren't trading a Randy Moss who could be expected to play....for us....like he has for the last 3 years, for whatever mental or psychological reason.
Given that the best we can say for his season is that we think he drew double teams and opened it up for other receivers (we know the Jets left him man on man with a poor corner and he did not beat him) at least the impact of losing him appears now to be less than it ever did before.

If it was Moss of 07-09 this would be a terrible trade.
If the trade is made, I'm pretty sure we would have seen more of the uninspiring play we have seen so far (and I would not be surprised at all if he does great in Minn with a good attitude) so it is what it is.
Really a shame if it has to come to that, because if Moss was in it 100% this offense would be special.
It is also possible that these are wild rumors that won't happen, but I've come to realize that is usually wishful thinking. But, my impression of Moss' attitude issue is based just on the fact that if there wasnt a problem there, this trade wouldn't even be discussed.

He's probably giving us no choice by his own actions. We can't go back to a cr*p attitude locker room like last year. We can't force him to "be nice".

I look forward to our winning a super bowl without him or Terry Glenn or anyone else. We are one draft and one years experience from being both young and L33t. We lost Brady and won 11 games with BB ......... I know he'll adjust.

At this point, the compensation could be "whatever we can get". That's probably the case.

I want to see moss in Indy, dont you guys want to see moss in Indy?

with out ninokovich and chung, the patriots would have lost against the phins, we wouldnt be talking about trading moss that easily.

Unless of course the reason why we won against the phins is because moss sucked and the patriots defense had to bail out Brady, moss and the pats offense. then I can see why BB wants to trade moss.

Last edited:
gimme a break, even a Life-long Chicago Bears fan knows (I chose this fan due to his surely dire Hatred of #4), THE BRETT FAVRE-LED VIKINGS were one stupid Brad Childress mistake away from Raping Peyton Manning in the big one last year..

You can hate the silver fox all you want, but well see whos laughing when one of the top 3 WR's in the game is CATCHING A BALL, BECAUSE WE ARE ACTUALLY THROWING IT TO HIM

I mean in one of your guy's games, at one point he had 2 Rec for 2 TD's.... I know belichecks a genius and all, but Then i guess it would take Isaac Newton to know that you need to throw it to eighty-one.

All you guys that are pissed off about losing the Freak, need to realise, if you don't use it you LOSE IT.. We wont make that mistake twice

I didn't realize it was Brad Childress who threw that stupid effing pick, he looks svelte in a uniform.

Wake up. Your franchise has 0 Super Bowl Trophies. After Favre leaves his wake of destruction and finally leaves the league once and for all you will still have 0. Unless Moss starts playing QB for you, it isn't going to make one bit of difference.

per schefter on twitter

Multiple people believe a Moss-to-Minnesota deal is moving closer to happening, but no trade expected to go down tonight. Weds is target.

Pats on bye week, Vikes install gameplan Thursday. Leaves Wednesday as a real window to get deal done this week.

WR Randy Moss did float idea of being traded from NE earlier this season; he did not speak with Bill Belichick today, according to source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes