PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor that Pats will sign a vet QB, draft a QB at 3 and move Mac EDIT: [was] From Mark Daniel’s mouth to Gods Ears

I'm having a hard time believing multiple sources would leak out plans like that if they were legitimate. Might as well provide precise coordinates of where your troops are going to be headed. Maybe in the games next year the QB will yell across the line, "Hey guys this is gonna be a run up the middle. Make sure you plan accordingly!"

I wonder if there've ever been spies planted deep in teams before. They conveniently hang out next to coordinators and surreptitiously provide hand signals telling aspects of the upcoming play. Logistically sounds complicated but any advantage would help.
They have not even seen their Pro days, in house interviews
But the plan is in place
BS

If the Patriots find a trade partner for Mac, does the new team have to pick up his fifth year option this spring.
no

Drama Williams

Caleb Williams gives me the vibe of if Antonio Brown and Bo Callahan had a son.. can't believe everywhere is reporting him as a total lock for 1 overall.

I think Chicago will probably figure out he's not a good locker room guy, but they could buckle to public pressure and take him anyway.

Be a very, very interesting draft night if he was passed on! I don't think he'd get past pick 4 at worst, even if nobody went to his birthday party.

Sign Flacco along with a few NBA G league guys for the red zone.

I’ll take Tannehill. He’s a good enough QB to win with, but he’s not going to get grossly overpaid, like Mayfield or Cousins.

Ridley 1016 yds (13.5 y/r) 8 TDs
Evans 1255 (15.9 y/r) 13 TDs

Ridley 6'1" 190 lbs (29 yo)
Evans 6'5" 231 lbs (31 yo)

Give me Big Mike every day and twice on Sunday. He's the model of consistency.
Maybe I'm going off of Ridleys Atlanta days, but after having a year off, coming back into the game, age 30, he was a huge player for the jags, I like Evans too your right he's the model of consistency.. whenever I've seen him play he often disappeared, however as you mentioned he's consistently producing. Evans won't be available to us.. so gimme big baller Ridley and Hollywood brown both.

I'm having a hard time believing multiple sources would leak out plans like that if they were legitimate. Might as well provide precise coordinates of where your troops are going to be headed. Maybe in the games next year the QB will yell across the line, "Hey guys this is gonna be a run up the middle. Make sure you plan accordingly!"

I wonder if there've ever been spies planted deep in teams before. They conveniently hang out next to coordinators and surreptitiously provide hand signals telling aspects of the upcoming play. Logistically sounds complicated but any advantage would help.
Mystery and misdirection is the name of the game this time of year. Every story includes a secret agenda to to aid the source in some way. I am having a hard time trusting anything that has been put out there, including BB liking Daniels.

Caleb Williams gives me the vibe of if Antonio Brown and Bo Callahan had a son.. can't believe everywhere is reporting him as a total lock for 1 overall.

I think Chicago will probably figure out he's not a good locker room guy, but they could buckle to public pressure and take him anyway.

Be a very, very interesting draft night if he was passed on! I don't think he'd get past pick 4 at worst, even if nobody went to his birthday party.

Yeah, I'm wondering if there won't be a significant pullback of enthusiasm for this QB class in a couple of weeks. The first 5 picks may end up being very different from what everyone is predicting.

how about Mac and Parker for a 3rd?
Just because we are adding two scrubs to the trade the value doesn’t improve
Neither mac or Parker is worth more than a 6th , they together aren’t worth more either

Out of all the scenarios, the Pats drafting Caleb Williams is the worst. After Wolf went on and on about leadership and body language, I can't see him turning around and picking him.

Conspicuously absent from this thread: @Triumph

He's been swearing Mac will be this season's starter. Sorry, your wish for Mayo/Kraft to fail (if they do) won't be because they ran it back w/ Mac. Lol

@TommyBrady12 you too! Where you been? Tired of being wrong all the time?
You read like crazy Ivan dreaming up comspricay theories of the Patriors demise where I am the architect.

Tell me Ivan, how can Mayo be held responsible for following Kraft orders?

Great strategy to leak picking a QB at #3 ...
Get the trade up teams to fall all over themselves.
I still think #3 could bring almost a #1 haul ...

None of this is new ... everyone already knew draft a QB and sign a vet.
With this strategy, teams wanting Harrison or a QB won't see the need to trade with the Pats (Pats locked on a QB who will be there at 3). I think leaking that QB wasn't a primary need and that they would consider a WR would generate more trade activity.

People are reading way too much into this. The Patriots will sign a veteran QB? Duh of course they will. Can’t go into the draft without someone who can start day 1.

Patriots will take a QB at 3? Sure they may well do and if they don’t then this report helps increase the price of the pick. They need everyone to think they love all 3 QBs to get the best price in return.

I support this approach. The team is not good and to throw the rookie franchise QB out there surrounded by a dog **** OL and WRs (except Pops) it makes sense.
I am still in the trade back camp, move back a few places (Atlanta 8?) amass draft capital then pick McCarthy who will probably be best suited to have a developmental year..
But I favor signing a veteran QB as a mentor..

When your lineman has to encourage you to get up off the floor and stop hiding in a press conference, that's a red flag.

Nobody is perfect give me Mahomes light all day 24/7. :)

According to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, the New England Patriots – in the midst of transition with new head coach Jerod Mayo and armed with the No. 3 overall pick – have some interest in adding Flacco as a "bridge quarterback."

Cousin, Have to agree with you. The absurd logic is pick one of the holy three and perhaps one of them ( Williams?) is a definite maybe.The others are Zack Wilson, Mitch Trubiski, Trey Lance possibilities.

If I am a Fan, I want competitive, not another 4-13 season
How many want another 4-13 on this forum?
You have less than a 50% shot that the pick at #2 or #3 or even #1 (talking about you Bryce Young) will be a franchise guy..

Questions to all of the "take a QB at #3" Fans:
  1. -As pick #3 that kid is person non grata for a year or so perhaps a wasted pick for the roster?
The answer to all this is from the report the Pats are taking a QB at #3:

But the Patriots look at it like this: If you get the rare chance to draft one of the top prospects at the game’s most valuable position, it’s worth taking a big swing even if the surrounding roster isn’t great. The quarterback position is simply too important to risk passing on one in hopes of maybe landing one a year or two later.

I think most Patriots fans will sit thru a 4-win season if it means they got the franchise QB going forward, I don't think they'll be that bad but so what if they are? You get your "Chase" to go with your "Burrow" in 2025. You also get to see young players develop, a young coach put his stamp on the team and by the end of the year, at worst, a glimpse of your future franchise QB.

Daniels, Maye and Williams are first round prospects. No other QB is, so yes, there is a really, really big drop off.

The current line and receivers will not be the starting lineup for 2024.

The 2025 draft is rated VERY, VERY weak on 1st round picks, a mid to late 2025 1st is not that valuable, same as a 2024 2nd.
You are not getting Jeudy without giving up some good assets/picks which partially defeats the trade down for assets and picks.

Being mediocre right away leads to mediocre over the long run, I'll take 1 more bad year, followed by a decade of real playoff contention vs 10 years of Pittsburgh Steeler post-Ben level of mediocrity.

Maybe I'm going off of Ridleys Atlanta days, but after having a year off, coming back into the game, age 30, he was a huge player for the jags, I like Evans too your right he's the model of consistency.. whenever I've seen him play he often disappeared, however as you mentioned he's consistently producing. Evans won't be available to us.. so gimme big baller Ridley and Hollywood brown both.

I wouldn’t spend for Ridley, he started off pretty good for Jacksonville, but ended up really inconsistent. He’s a lot like Jeudy to me, both big name first round wide outs who are very overrated at this time. I wouldn’t touch either of them. This isn’t a situation where they just need a WR to get them over the top, so I would take one on day two, and maybe another 1-2 on day 3 of the Draft, as well as looking at the rest of the free agent pool, and cap cuts and releases.

Last edited:
The answer to all this is from the report the Pats are taking a QB at #3:

But the Patriots look at it like this: If you get the rare chance to draft one of the top prospects at the game’s most valuable position, it’s worth taking a big swing even if the surrounding roster isn’t great. The quarterback position is simply too important to risk passing on one in hopes of maybe landing one a year or two later.

I think most Patriots fans will sit thru a 4-win season if it means they got the franchise QB going forward, I don't think they'll be that bad but so what if they are? You get your "Chase" to go with your "Burrow" in 2025. You also get to see young players develop, a young coach put his stamp on the team and by the end of the year, at worst, a glimpse of your future franchise QB.

Daniels, Maye and Williams are first round prospects. No other QB is, so yes, there is a really, really big drop off.

The current line and receivers will not be the starting lineup for 2024.

The 2025 draft is rated VERY, VERY weak on 1st round picks, a mid to late 2025 1st is not that valuable, same as a 2024 2nd.
You are not getting Jeudy without giving up some good assets/picks which partially defeats the trade down for assets and picks.

Being mediocre right away leads to mediocre over the long run, I'll take 1 more bad year, followed by a decade of real playoff contention vs 10 years of Pittsburgh Steeler post-Ben level of mediocrity.

This is exactly how I see it, except this Draft is very strong right where the Patriots need it to be strong, at QB ( high), and at OT ( rds 1-3), and the first 30 or so WR’s. As far as free agency and the draft go this offseason sets up pretty nicely for them. Have a strong offseason this year, compete at the highest level they can, and then have another strong offseason next year, and they can build themselves into contenders for the next decade.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back