PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Wendell re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wendell just isn't very good I don't care if he's here for free. We need to upgrade the position.

Pop in that 2013 game tape, fast forward to the broncos playoff game if you got places to be. Scary stuff for a 38 year old Franchise QB.

Horrific signing, someone hit it when they said Arrington 2.0 contract.
Except that Arrington is really good at what he does. This would be like the Arrington contract if Wendell was a top center but expected to be the backup left tackle.

Except that Arrington is really good at what he does. This would be like the Arrington contract if Wendell was a top center but expected to be the backup left tackle.

I thought Arrington was a mild overpay at the time - but you are right. Arrington is a top nickel CB. Or was, before he got injured last year. That contract would be fair given Arrington's play in the slot.

I thought Arrington was a mild overpay at the time - but you are right. Arrington is a top nickel CB. Or was, before he got injured last year. That contract would be fair given Arrington's play in the slot.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Dennard has in the slot going forward.

I hope Wendell is a plan B signing. He will be the backup if the Patriots sign another FA or he is there to provide some continuity while a rookie learns the position.

I think it was obvious to everyone that the guy was hugely over-matched in a lot of games and he was a detriment to Brady's health as well as the flow of the offense.
The Patriots loaded up with high end UDFA offensive linemen last year.
Kline was an early signing and Barker and Cave were claimed after the
53 man cut. Devey was added to the practice squad later in the season.

Add a couple of draft picks and a few UDFAs to this group and Connolly
and Wendell should have some good competition for their roster spots.
I will be unhappy if both of them are not displaced.

Ryan Wendell - New England Patriots - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Patriots re-signed C Ryan Wendell to a two-year contract with a maximum value of $8.15 million.

Wendell, 28, appeared to be one of the NFL's up-and-coming pivots in 2012, but his performance slipped dramatically last season, and his free agent market was all but barren. Wendell should only be penciled lightly into New England's starting lineup, depending on what happens in May's draft.

3/28/2014: Signed a two-year, $8.15 million contract. The deal included a $850,000 signing bonus. 2014-2015: $1 million, 2016: Free Agent

Ugh.

tumblr_m4wroqWGcq1rpntky.gif

What in the HELL do the Pats see in Wendell? He is garbage! Now you're re-signing him for starter money?
Given that the Pats had the correct information to evaluate him, you didn't. The Pats had a much better idea over what's the monetary value of his worth. You didn't. Finally the Pats had the cap space and time to literally sign any of the other FA C's and didn't, all seem to indicate that the Pats evaluated Wendell to be a better center than you do.

The thing is, we as fans are free to make our personal observation, but we have to understand that we make those observations on some VERY limited information. We don't know the play call. We don't know the OL responsibilities. We certainly don't know what happens if the D changes or the QB changes the play or a myriad of OTHER elements that factor in the success or failure of an individual play.

For some reason, last season Wendell went from one of the top rated C's in the league to one of the worst. Whatever the reasons were, the Pats FO knows much better than us, and decided that Wendell was the best of what was there and signed him. As far as the money paid, I'm sure when all is revealed his cap number is going to a lot closer to $1.5MM than to $3MM.

And to leave you feeling a bit better. I will, along with you, hope that the Pats use one of their top 4 draft picks on a young C. On of the 2 or 3 than have captured our interest on the Draft board. I would point out to you that Wendell had his finest year, after undergoing a grueling competition with Koppen and Connolly to win the job in 2012. I'd like him to feel the same kind of heat this year.

A worst Kontra, buddy, the Pats upgraded their interior OL depth. It now may be easier to release Connolly and his cap number or put more pressure on him to do a cut. This would be especially true if Cannon is actually moved to RG as we all expect and hope.

I guess your ideal situaton (and mine, btw) would be to have Cannon firmly ensconced at RG, while Connolly and Wendell fight a death match to see who the starting C will be, with a gifted rookie nipping at both their heals. ;)

The centers available as UFAs were pretty weak. And yep, that includes Wendell. But I'd much rather go into the draft with an insurance plan at the position rather than needing to draft a guaranteed day-1 starter, wouldn't you?

I'm confident that interior OL remains a draft priority, but now they have more flexibility in how to approach it.

What? You are talking about KYLE Arrington? Seriously?

I saw Wendell was resigned and had that gag reflex to the apple, then seeing this quote made me hit the john...

Not a fan of this move. I want them to go get a OC latest in the third. But now RB is a need as well with Ridley/Vereen contract coming up so.... Great off-season until this move. Money seems way off too but I'll wait for more details.
I don't agree with this, Don. I think the entire RB market has radially changed. Every year there are going to be several good RB's available even this deep in FA. Just look at who just signed recently. MJD a former all pro. Moreno a 1000 yd rusher, and Blount who had a great year in limited carries. And there are still "names" left out there.

No, I don't think the Pats have to prioritize a RB this May. Maybe one late in the 3rd day could be a possibility, but I doubt they'll be a need for one in the first 4 rounds. I know I'll be disappointed if they waste a pick on one that early.

Worse part is we don't have Scar anymore to put a halfway decent line out there out of UDFA and late round picks. BB has to get some quality players in the draft if our new o-line coach isn't a genius like Scar.

I'm in the minority but I have been a Wendell fan since 2011 and I am glad to have him back. I honestly don't see a day one caliber center in this draft class anyway. Wendell>rookie and Connolly.

Not a fan of this signing. Wendell is a pedestrian C and, even if he's a back-up, which is very possible, it's still too much money for him.

I'm in the minority but I have been a Wendell fan since 2011 and I am glad to have him back. I honestly don't see a day one caliber center in this draft class anyway. Wendell>rookie and Connolly.

Connolly and rookie OG > Wendell and Connolly

THey should have signed him to NO Signing bonus, NO roster bonus, just vet min salary plus some incentives IF he is deemed to have played satisfactorily.

It's not like anyone else was going to pay him anything.

It's like in Godfather Part 2, "My offer to you is this......nothing".

I very much agree with my post. No signing bonus for this turkey. No roster bonus either. Just straight vet min baby.

Guess it wasn't so cheap.

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 51s

Per NFLPA records, the Patriots have re-signed C Ryan Wendell to a two-year deal worth a maximum of $6.85 million.

That's right up there with Kyle Arrington's contract in terms of "deals that I absolutely hated the moment that I saw the numbers, and that I'm 100% sure they'll be wishing for a mulligan on in less than a year." Maybe even worse than Arrington's deal, because at least Arrington's good at something, even if he is overpaid. I don't understand this willingness to pay mid-tier starter money for guys who are clearly backups, though. Does Belichick seriously think that Wendell is a starter-caliber center, and that he isn't a liability anytime he's on the field?

Just a terrible deal, really disappointing. I guess the Pats have decided that, despite all of the clear evidence to the contrary, the center position does not need upgrading. I can't even begin to understand how they arrived at that conclusion. Damn.

That's right up there with Kyle Arrington's contract in terms of "deals that I absolutely hated the moment that I saw the numbers, and that I'm 100% sure they'll be wishing for a mulligan on in less than a year."

Just a terrible deal, really disappointing. I guess the Pats have decided that, despite all of the clear evidence to the contrary, the center position does not need upgrading. I can't even begin to understand how they arrived at that conclusion. Damn.

We will probaly see a Connolly\Wendell camp battle and draft a Guard. Whoever loses will be cut. Wendell only has 850k guaranteed.

We will probaly see a Connolly\Wendell camp battle and draft a Guard. Whoever loses will be cut. Wendell only has 850k guaranteed.

That's 850k too much, IMO. If you're in the business of lighting 850k on fire and throwing it in the garbage, then why not spend that money on LeGarrette Blount, or on Welker last year.

That's 850k too much, IMO. If you're in the business of lighting 850k on fire and throwing it in the garbage, then why not spend that money on LeGarrette Blount, or on Welker last year.

Maybe. Is all of that reported 850k signing bonus really a singing bonus?

Given that the Pats had the correct information to evaluate him, you didn't.

This is an appeal to authority, and it's a pet peeve of mine. Want to know why? Because if that's the stance that you're going to take, then what's the point of even discussing anything relating to personnel moves?

The Patriots have the necessary information, and therefore the correct decision is whatever they chose to do. /thread

Maybe we should have a circlejerk forum where some of you guys can compete with each other to see who most adamantly agrees with literally everything that the Patriots do, and who can most thoroughly object to any form of disagreement. Bonus points if you can actually make a case that Jake Bequette was a good pick. After all, they had all of the necessary information to draft him, and anyone who says he sucks didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3