PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Michael Floyd "expected to face a multigame suspension from the NFL" in the 2017 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Opening up a new thread, because if Michael Floyd agrees to a 1 or 2-year contract with New England (assuming he even gets offered one), he will likely not be able to play for even a whole entire season. According to Schefter, the league is awaiting the results of his blood test, and will likely determine a suspension based on the severity of his intoxication.

Between his DUI incident and declining production on the field, this all but diminishes Floyd's chances of receiving any kind of large contract in free agency, especially while this suspension looms over him.

On the flip side, if he remains in New England, he could end up being a nice, 1st round talent on a bargain contract.

I hope Floyd is able to revive his career here...I truly do....but do the Patriots really want to go through another controversy-filled offseason, where a key player on our roster ends up serving a suspension to start the season?

Last edited:
I don't see why his level of drunkenness should affect the punishment. He was drunk and behind the wheel, that's all he should be punished on. Seems more like a "level of punishment will be determined by who he plays for", or a "you're not getting a compensatory pick" kind of tactic.

I don't see why his level of drunkenness should affect the punishment. He was drunk and behind the wheel, that's all he should be punished on. Seems more like a "level of punishment will be determined by who he plays for", or a "you're not getting a compensatory pick" kind of tactic.
BAC will be a factor considered in court and in sentencing for DUI, so why should the NFL ignore it?

From the bolded comment I infer you think the BAC will result in a harsh penalty by the league, but as the linked story reports the BAC number is not yet available. It's possible his BAC will be very high, but it could also be lower than expected considering he was tired (played in Miami and flew home before driving home) and it was very late. Let's wait and see.

Isn't this his first offense as an NFL player, doesn't that exclude college? I think there's a limit involved.

Of course, we don't know what else was in his blood at the time of the test. Also, it's my understanding he refused the test by Law Enforcement (blow and blood), so would this be a league test?

Anyway, I agree, we may get him on a 1 year deal for cheap.

Why is this even newsworthy. The NFL has consistently suspended players who have gotten DUI's But in typical NFL fashion the punishment has been rather INCONSISTENT ranging from 1-4 games. So IF Floyd is deemed by the court to have been DUI, then he WILL be suspended. I don't think anyone in that 35 page thread on this subject would be surprised by this.

I don't know why this suddenly became news just because Adam Schechter tweeted the obvious. What's next, a tweet informing us there are games to be played on Sunday. Stop the presses :rolleyes:

Pretty simple.

If he's with the Pats. 4 games. If he's with anyone else. 1 max. Remember Von Miller got suspended for a whole season!

Then whittled down to 8 games. Why? Peyton Manning and Goat Face. Pretty simple really.

Why is this even newsworthy. The NFL has consistently suspended players who have gotten DUI's But in typical NFL fashion the punishment has been rather INCONSISTENT ranging from 1-4 games. So IF Floyd is deemed by the court to have been DUI, then he WILL be suspended. I don't think anyone in that 35 page thread on this subject would be surprised by this.

I don't know why this suddenly became news just because Adam Schechter tweeted the obvious. What's next, a tweet informing us there are games to be played on Sunday. Stop the presses :rolleyes:

This isn't surprising to me except for being curious to whether the NFL has historically based its DUI punishments based on the degree of drunkuness and not on the # of previous incidences/violations.

I think it's pretty safe for us and the NFL to guess that if Floyd was passed out at the wheel he had a pretty high B/A level.

This isn't surprising to me except for being curious to whether the NFL has historically based its DUI punishments based on the degree of drunkuness and not on the # of previous incidences/violations.

I think it's pretty safe for us and the NFL to guess that if Floyd was passed out at the wheel he had a pretty high B/A level.
That's an odd statement to me. Obviously you've never done some chores and yard work on a Sunday morning after a good night sleep in October, had a solid lunch, grabbed A beer, turned on the television at 1pm EST on the CBS channel, sat down, watched the Jets for about 40 minutes and passed out drooling.

Any day, anywhere, we're at the mercy of our bodies and any of the most mind numbing scenarios that might switch off our brain. For me it used to be golf, now it's the Jets. Maybe Floyd had their game on the radio or it was political talk. Or his BAC was 1.6. Who knows?

Isn't this his first offense as an NFL player, doesn't that exclude college? I think there's a limit involved.

Of course, we don't know what else was in his blood at the time of the test. Also, it's my understanding he refused the test by Law Enforcement (blow and blood), so would this be a league test?

Anyway, I agree, we may get him on a 1 year deal for cheap.

Floyd refused the breath test, but accepted the blood test.

Thats strange, Why not decline both?

That's an odd statement to me. Obviously you've never done some chores and yard work on a Sunday morning after a good night sleep in October, had a solid lunch, grabbed A beer, turned on the television at 1pm EST on the CBS channel, sat down, watched the Jets for about 40 minutes and passed out drooling.

Any day, anywhere, we're at the mercy of our bodies and any of the most mind numbing scenarios that might switch off our brain. For me it used to be golf, now it's the Jets. Maybe Floyd had their game on the radio or it was political talk. Or his BAC was 1.6. Who knows?

I'd love to be wrong.

To that effect I will say I used to find it incomprehensible that anyone could fall asleep at the wheel. While it's never happened to me, I've come to empathize with how it could happen.

So maybe he wasn't super intoxicated and maybe the Patriots know from their history with Stallworth that these things can't be judged in degrees of black and white or in degrees of blood alcohol.

I highly doubt that a 2 game suspension would factor into NE's plans for offering him a contract next season. It's not like they didn't already know about the issue.

I highly doubt that a 2 game suspension would factor into NE's plans for offering him a contract next season. It's not like they didn't already know about the issue.

If anything, it might give the Pats a way to do him a favour if he agrees to a reasonable 1y prove it deal where they structure the contract in a way for him not to lose too much money over it (think Ninkovich this year).

That was my first thought as well. Make sure to let everyone know so nobody will sign him, and the Pats get no compensation.

What´s the different between the NFL and the Cosa Nostra?
Cosa Nostra have a codex.

Josh Brown played for a team owned by one of Goodell's honeypies. Michael Floyd plays for the Patriots. Case closed. Goodell can do whatever he wants. He could expel Floyd from the NFL this morning for life and the matter would be closed.

Uh Sheldon Richardson only got 1 game. I guess we already know why....:rolleyes:

We as a forum should gather all the numbers regarding this fraud by Goodell and use it as an example on what to expect on Floyd, maybe media will pick up the comparison and then see what happens.

If he gets a longer suspension than Sheldon Richardson did, that will be laugh-out-loud ridiculous. Basically if we needed confirmation that any vague affiliation with the Pats = triple punishment, punishing Floyd more harshly than Richardson would totally do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe