PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shefter: Dez Bryant expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are pretty harsh. He was hurt a few years ago and didn't work with Dak as well as Romo. I think he could still be productive and I'm all for giving it a shot. Problem is it would have to be cheaper than Jules gets paid so probably not happening.

Call me crazy, but I want the guy. I think he'd be a great fit here as a guy who can make a catch in traffic. The reason Cooks wasn't a great fit here is because he needed to get separation in order to be useful. Cooks still did well, but his inability to fight for the ball in a close quarters situation hurt him.

A guy who can make a catch while surrounded by bodies is better for the medium range pass heavy offense we run. If we can fit him into our cap picture, I want the guy.

Chad Johnson 2.0 might be a fit in Baltimore with jump ball Joe. Was never a good route runner just a guy that can win 1v1 in the air. Not a good fit with patriots and has lost speed over the past few years.

The rare right call by Belichick.

Can someone ELI5 what happened with Dez? I haven't been following the rest of the NFL as religiously as I used to.

He lost a step.

None of these big name receivers have ever led NE to a SB......dont need him.

This is what happens when you couple Planet attitude with Village talent.

None of these big name receivers have ever led NE to a SB......dont need him.

This is probably the best argument i’ve heard for not signing him. He’s a guy who’s going to want the ball a lot and players like that don’t fit in here.

Doubt he would play here...I think Dallas offered a pay cut before cutting him. He was due to make 12.5 this year (counting for ~16-17 vs. their cap). Our highest paid WR is still Edelman I think at about 5/AAV. Doubt Dez would take less than 5.... And even if we signed him to a vet minimum deal...I'd not be so sure he would make the team...

This thread was expected I guess. Kind of surprised to see so many level-headed responses. I doubt there has been a WR in recent memory who was a WORSE fit for the Pats than Dez Bryant. It seems his sole asset at this point in his career is his ability to win 50-50 balls in tight coverage (and even that is in question). The problem here is that THIS QB isn't one who throws the ball to people in tight coverage very often, and he already has a guy (Gronk) who does it much better.

I wouldn't bring Bryant in if he were willing to come on a vet minimum contract. And quite frankly the only ones who will be pushing that narrative will be the mediots who are just looking for an easy storyline if he came here. It will, however, be interesting to see who DOES bring him in. Right now, he's got the skills of a move TE, without having ever played the position.

Bryant is no longer a game changer but remains one of the better red zone receivers in the league...that being said,as long as Gronk is on this team we don't need to overpay for a red zone receiver and now that Edelman is back less reason to pay for Bryant who is pretty much a one trick pony now.

M

Moss was a huge reason why they GOT to the Super Bowl ...just didn't win it because of a miracle catch,bad OL play and a lack of defense
The highest scoring offense ever lost the Sb because allowing 21 points is considered a lack of defense that excuses the offense?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do not think that he would make the roster, given that
1) he is unlikely to grasp the playbook;
2) his skills are not a good fit at all for the system and the QB;
3) Diva attitude

Last edited:
I get he'll sacrifice some money for a Ring...Get him over here BB...

there are still a few folks who are going to say this last part is wrong, but its so ****ing right.
As much as I wanted them to take Dez over McCourty, BB made the right call. I don't think he'd be able/willing to learn the Pats offense.

The rare right call by Belichick.

Can someone ELI5 what happened with Dez? I haven't been following the rest of the NFL as religiously as I used to.
Your first comment had me laughing pretty hard. Not sure if you were trying to be funny but if your first comment were true, BB would've been out of a job a long time ago.

I bet he goes to the 49ers- they need a number one for Jimmy and I think they still have a lot of cap room.

I don’t think Dez is completely done. I think his decline coincided with his QB changing. (Right?)
I don't think he is done either, more like a bad fit in Dallas. In fact, he reminds of Michael Crabtree's last year in SF were he looked "cooked". A change of scenery could revitalize his career. I think he goes to SF as well but that's if they want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents