PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we consider drafting Joe Alt in the first round?

You would like Maye or Daniels. the 2nd round, and I would like the Chiefs to trade Mahomes to us for a 5th round pick. Both are equally likely. Maybe we should talk about Jacoby Brissett winning the MVP while we are talking about things that are completely absurd.
Tribinsky was picked over Mahomes. Mahomes was the (10th pick) in the draft. Experts agreed like yourself Mike was the ultimate.... How about best player available strategy for a change?

Didn't the Mac Jones experience teach any lesson to us other than repeating it? It's a chicken or the egg argument. ? Which comes first. I watch Purdy and I like that template, it's just my opinion since I have been tainted. Pick a first round pick because it's there doesn't excite me. I would love Maye or Williams then 2nd round qb. All the same after that.
It's always a 50/50 proposition in the 1st round. It's a-practically-never thing after the first round. If you want a good QB, you have to be willing to take the risk. There is no alternative (other than trading away your 2nd year QB like the Steelers did and filling in with a failed pick from the 1st half of the draft, whether that be Justin Fields or [heh, heh] Baker Mayfield).

The Pats are taking a QB at three unless somebody gives them a Godfather deal

It's always a 50/50 proposition in the 1st round. It's a-practically-never thing after the first round. If you want a good QB, you have to be willing to take the risk. There is no alternative (other than trading away your 2nd year QB like the Steelers did and filling in with a failed pick from the 1st half of the draft, whether that be Justin Fields or [heh, heh] Baker Mayfield).

Bit of a self fulfilling prophecy there TBH. Half these guys never see the field at all, or only do as backups in situations that are already absolutely dire.

The Patriots and Mac Jones say hello a year late and a dollar short.

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

The Patriots and Mac Jones say hello a year late and a dollar short.

Tom Hanks Hello GIF
Reason #1 why you don't want owners meddling.

The Steelers ownership group is 100x better than ours. That being said, those owners are some of the best in football and the other owners only dream of being as good as them.

Reason #1 why you don't want owners meddling.

The Steelers ownership group is 100x better than ours. That being said, those owners are some of the best in football and the other owners only dream of being as good as them.
You think RK is a meddler??

I big fingered it and didn’t notice that.
I was just waking up and thought another decade passed me by in a blink. Then I did some math.

if Joe Milton III slips into the second round, and I consider this possible, then yes. Milton is a s tud.

couple other guys down there I've got my eye on too. Especially Travis and Pratt.
Milton is a late round guy from everything I read. Million dollar arm and 10 cent head is what I saw somewhere.

You should consider getting used to 4-13 seasons if you draft a tackle, congrats Pats you're the new Cleveland Browns.

If your best player is a tackle you suck, what use is Joe Alt when he's blocking for the wheel of suck at QB?

Finding a QB outside the first round is basically finding the needle in the haystack at this point and it's much easier to just get lucky and pick a good QB in the top 5 than building a complete roster like the 49ers stacking 3/4 amazing drafts, back to back to back.

If you take a tackle at 3, you're an idiot. Stuck in the dinosaur ages of team building you're going to watch that amazing tackle waste his career.

Milton is a late round guy from everything I read. Million dollar arm and 10 cent head is what I saw somewhere.
Sounds like a perfect low risk high reward guy to me. Give him a flier for 1 year, if it doesn't work you've lost nothing and probably have good draft capital next year. if he turns into Jameis Winston you're still getting bang for your drafting buck.

You should consider getting used to 4-13 seasons if you draft a tackle, congrats Pats you're the new Cleveland Browns.

If your best player is a tackle you suck, what use is Joe Alt when he's blocking for the wheel of suck at QB?

Finding a QB outside the first round is basically finding the needle in the haystack at this point and it's much easier to just get lucky and pick a good QB in the top 5 than building a complete roster like the 49ers stacking 3/4 amazing drafts, back to back to back.

If you take a tackle at 3, you're an idiot. Stuck in the dinosaur ages of team building you're going to watch that amazing tackle waste his career.
Funny. That's not how it worked for the Chiefs, or the Dolphins, or the bills, when they used guys like Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick to cover their QB position while they strengthened the rest of the roster. By the time Mahomes, Allen and Tua came in, they already had the assets to build around and the result was those 2 teams are now at least fighting for playoff positions.

It seems to me that that's EXACTLY how you build a roster. Compares rather favorably to your idea of copying the Panthers, Jets and Commanders.

Cover the position with Brissett while you build everything else a roster needs to be competitive, then go for THE guy next year. For a team in the gutter this appears to be the way to get out of it. Not as flashy as going for a headliner, but probably better odds of actually working.

Funny. That's not how it worked for the Chiefs, or the Dolphins, or the bills, when they used guys like Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick to cover their QB position while they strengthened the rest of the roster. By the time Allen and Tua came in, they already had the assets to build around and the result was those 2 teams are now at least fighting for playoff positions.

It seems to me that that's EXACTLY how you build a roster. Compares rather favorably to your idea of copying the Panthers, Jets and Commanders.
Chiefs - won 3 Super Bowls cause they drafted Mahomes
Bills - went from a laughing stock to a double digit win team every year cause they drafted Allen
Bengals - went from the dregs of the league to playing in the Super Bowl cause they drafted Joe Burrow
Texans - went from picking in the top 3 to the playoffs in 1 year cause they drafted CJ Stroud.

Patriots dominated because they had Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins is more important to winning than the best tackle in the league.

Cardinals last year took a tackle at 6 - suck
Bears last year took a tackle at 10 - suck
Titans last year took a tackle at 11 - suck

Panthers took a tackle at 6 - suck
Giants took a tackle at 7 - suck
Seahawks took a tackle at 9 - suck

There's the results of the last 6 tackles picked in the top 11. All those teams built the offensive line for their suckbag QB options how's that working out?

Bills - went from a laughing stock to a double digit win team every year cause they drafted Allen
Bengals - went from the dregs of the league to playing in the Super Bowl cause they drafted Joe Burrow
Texans - went from picking in the top 3 to the playoffs in 1 year cause they drafted CJ Stroud.

Patriots dominated because they had Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins is more important to winning than the best tackle in the league.

There's the results of the last 6 tackles picked in the top 11. All those teams built the offensive line for their suckbag QB options how's that working out?
1710774855062.png

If they don’t believe in the QB then the next option is trading out for the 3 first round picks, or a different short move trade with a team like the Giants, a different position is my last option.
There's no QB prospect who had zero cons though.

If the Patriots are hoping for the next Brady, they will wait forever. That isn't happening again.

If they are waiting for the next Burrow/Herbert/Allen, they may not need to wait forever.

Point being, what do we think the Patriots want in a QB exactly?

Can't be said better. This should, it won't though, end this argument.

There's a lot of NE OL guys who got paid or looked better than they were due to Brady. Nate Solder in NE with Brady vs being with crap in NY is a great example.

Didn't the Mac Jones experience teach any lesson to us other than repeating it? It's a chicken or the egg argument. ? Which comes first. I watch Purdy and I like that template, it's just my opinion since I have been tainted. Pick a first round pick because it's there doesn't excite me. I would love Maye or Williams then 2nd round qb. All the same after that.
Except the quality of this draft is much different. There are guys taken in the second round this year who would have been above Mac Jones if drafted in 2021.

The Purdy template works...to an extent. This past SB showed having all the talent in the world isn't going to cover up the differences in two QB's. In fact, it's happened to SF twice now. When it mattered most, when they needed their QB to step up, he couldn't get it done.

If Josh Allen/Burrow/prime Brady is the 49ers QB, that game is over by the third quarter. It's a blowout.

There's no QB prospect who had zero cons though.

If the Patriots are hoping for the next Brady, they will wait forever. That isn't happening again.

If they are waiting for the next Burrow/Herbert/Allen, they may not need to wait forever.

Point being, what do we think the Patriots want in a QB exactly?

I’m not sure how they have them rated, but you are absolutely right in saying they can’t wait for the perfect prospect. They still have to have a high enough grade, and belief in their ability to develop them to make the pick. It’s only if they don’t believe they are worth the pick that they should go to their next options. Hopefully they have the top four rated highly enough to warrant the pick, otherwise they aren’t going to have a franchise caliber QB until 26’ at the earliest, and probably 27’ before they end up getting dividends from them. .

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back