PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we consider drafting Joe Alt in the first round?

Great. And the QB going up against Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Burrow etc is???
I swear a portion of this fanbase learned nothing from the contrast between 20 years with Brady, and the last 3-4 with Cam/Mac.

There’s a delusion that LT is equally as important as QB. It just isn’t.

Drew had Bruce Armstrong

TB12 had Matt Light

I just don't want to see the Patriots become like JETE and always win the offseason and then get their butts kicked come September.

No SB for the Pats this year no matter who they draft
You know 2024 won’t be the last ever Patriots draft, right?

Why the hell is it so assumed QB’s will grow on trees, but we’ll never land a franchise LT if we don’t take one early this year?

Alt will likely go very early, probably around 7. But don’t forget the next guy in line is the Penn St LT, Olu Fashanu. He may go around 11-12.

So trading down should be a legitimate course of action.

The first three picks should be LT, QB, and WR. The last two can be flipped depending on circumstances.

The TE from Georgia would also do wonders for this offense.

100% has to be considered. MHJ and Alt are the 2 best players in the draft. He's an elite pass protector and run Blocker. CJ Stroud doesn't have that rookie season without leremy tunsil. Outside of qb, tackle is the most important position on the field in my opinion. Considering it and doing it are 2 different things tho. If pats believe in a qb at 3 they gotta pull the trigger.

Don’t know why they wasted that pick on Stroud. They already had Tunsil, so any QB would have done just as well. They could have gotten a haul for that pick, instead they wasted it on a Quarterback

Drew had Bruce Armstrong

TB12 had Matt Light

I just don't want to see the Patriots become like JETE and always win the offseason and then get their butts kicked come September.

No SB for the Pats this year no matter who they draft
I think the Patriots had great lines in most SB wins because the elite QB made them look better. How often does an OL make a QB elite?

Put it this way, if you remove Brady from SB 42, and replace him with anyone else, is that QB keeping them in the game while the OL is getting it's tail whipped? Alternatively, if you put prime 90's Cowboys OL on the 2021 Patriots, are they beating Buf/KC/Rams etc and winning a SB with Jones?

The Patriots may not be in this position again. I'm betting they won't be.

If Minnesota wants #3, I think Jefferson and three firsts should be the price. Nothing less. You need a known quantity. Even than, are you willing to pay Jefferson?

Not a crazy idea, the top three touted QBs could end up a bust, one could be good/great and the other two could be middling/bust and the best QB from the draft could come from the second round. The whole thing is a crapshoot.
Jayden Daniels to me is a one look qb. He will be what's left at 3. Is this guy a fit in the Patriots way? We can get a serviceable Left tackle. Plug in a couple of tackles which we have done and the offense still moves somewhat. Qb early second. One great WR can make a Kaka offense go.

Jayden Daniels to me is a one look qb. He will be what's left at 3. Is this guy a fit in the Patriots way? We can get a serviceable Left tackle. Plug in a couple of tackles which we have done and the offense still moves somewhat. Qb early second. One great WR can make a Kaka offense go.
Yep one great WR is what you need. Just run jet sweeps every play so you can get them the ball. Maybe pick up a RB that can throw the ball and run some wildcat. Whatever it takes, just as long as it doesn’t involve a quarterback, they are risky to draft.

Yep one great WR is what you need. Just run jet sweeps every play so you can get them the ball. Maybe pick up a RB that can throw the ball and run some wildcat. Whatever it takes, just as long as it doesn’t involve a quarterback, they are risky to draft.
Good snark is always funny from the home team fans. You must love the "term 3 & out" because I would be happy with your suggestion if it moves the chains. Put your first round qb in and watch it play out all over again... yikes....

Last edited:
Big thick tackle, fills a hole we need on the line, and would, at least in theory, make the job of any QB we happen to have much easier.

Looking at this roster, and especially at the way Mac got hung out to dry, taking the best OL in the draft just feels like the sort of thing we need to be thinking about. Remember we're coming off a year where not just QB was garbage but so was the ground game. One or the other struggling you look at the skill players, but if both are struggling together, the reason is usually weakness in the trenches.

and a tackle that can go 1v1 against the best pass rushers and help their guards is precious to both offense and defense. Success in the trenches keeps the offense on the field and getting some sustained drives will actually make the defense play better.

Frankly I'm looking down the list of possible QBs and see some guys who could make it into the second round that I definitely like. Spencer Rattler, Michael Pratt, Jordan Travis, JMIII, all promising guys and some of them will slip down to us. Pratt and JMIII in particular look very good to me

There's nothing sacred about the first round when it comes to finding your quarterback. Hell Brock Purdy's on his way to establishing himself as a premium QB and he was literally Mr. irrelevant. Meanwhile everyone knows the value of a good line. Alt will go quickly. I want to be the team he goes to.

I'd rather have Alt leading a revamped O-line and Pratt or JMIII under center, then Drake Maye and the a la carte mess of an OL we had last year.

The point being we have options beyond the first round to fill that need at QB, and top tacklees are worth their considerable weight in gold. It's something to think about.
You're right, we have three big holes to fill, QB, LT and WR1. if Wolfe and Mayo don't like Maye or Daniels they should scoop Alt (he's a beast) or MHJ.

You're right, we have three big holes to fill, QB, LT and WR1. if Wolfe and Mayo don't like Maye or Daniels they should scoop Alt (he's a beast) or MHJ.
Trade down and get two tackles, book ends, onwenu and strange in the middle, we're set at TE and have O-line depth. Round 2 WR are a guaranteed bust in NE based on past history, so never do that again. Get a safety in round 2, develop the team around the run game, tank, get a QB 1 next year.

I keep jumping all over the place, with the recent bird-brained idea to pick tackles with the first 2 picks.

He looks good in the video. I’m not familiar with him so I looked him up. He’s already 24 and going into his 7th college season.

View attachment 57111

The NCAA is getting very loose with the eligibility rules.

The major source of this is the blanket extra year granted to everyone in 2020 because of COVID.

The big question: do you trust the Patriots staff to make that determination? I think it's a 50/50 decision. If the Patriots staff decide QB at #3 isn't worth, then by definition their trade partner believes that QB is worth it.

In particular, whoever was compiling the draft data on QBs almost certainly wasn't thinking, "What would happen if we completely derailed his development after his rookie year?"

I swear a portion of this fanbase learned nothing from the contrast between 20 years with Brady, and the last 3-4 with Cam/Mac.

So you're saying we should go with a 6th round QB versus a 1st round QB? I keed I keed.

In particular, whoever was compiling the draft data on QBs almost certainly wasn't thinking, "What would happen if we completely derailed his development after his rookie year?"
Yup made his arm get weaker instead of stronger but who needs a strong arm if you only throw 7-10 yards at a time

Still lighting the Mac candles I see

You're right, but the fact that LT is actually MUCH MORE important doesn't seem to occur to many people.

you might chuckle, but your tackles are the guys between the quarterback and the worst of the damage the DL can do to him -- the flying tackles that are coming in at full speed. They're also the ones that create space for a rush up the middle.

The simple truth is that the offensive line is the most significant unit in the offense. They play a critical role in everything from clock management to the run game to time of possession to giving the quarterback that critical extra quarter second to escape potentially injurious situations.

the offensive line is the difference between Mahomes getting blown the hell out of the water in SB55, running for his life and having to make superhero throws to have any chance and generating offense, and what he's accomplished since then with a revamped (and injury free) line in his two Superbowls since then. If you've got a bad line, it takes one hell of a quarterback to overcome that. Not even Mahomes was up to the task in the end.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back