PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast XL: Pats trying to trade for Philadelphia Eagles G Evan Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.
People forget how dominant our line was when we had waters and mankins inside. About the most dominant interior you could have.

Add Mathis and a top round pick, we could have a special line.

Would make it possible to go for a player like Marpet in the draft and take it slow with him.

In the end it comes down to price.. Anything better than a sixth round pick I really don't want to give away.

Give them Boyce and a 5th rounder

@PressACWeinberg: Trading @EvanMathis69 would mean losing their 2nd-best OL behind Jason Peters. Makes no sense. #Eagles

Take advantage of a clown, BB. Chip has lost it

Give Blount a strong OL and watch out.

I'm all for a possible Brian Waters redux, but I have no idea who Mathis is.

Has anyone else been linked?

I read they're trying to trade him and only have seen NE mentioned so far, I this materializes quick before Chip can create a bidding war. This would be such a great move at the right price.

I would not give up a 4th and we don't have a 5th so it need to be a 6th or 5th next year max.

Trade for him and NO's CB and I would go to bed a lot happier tonight.

Eagles doing a Going Out Of Business Sale? Everything Must Go!

Premium stopgap until the rookie gets it. Works for me.

Brian Waters from 2011 laughs at you. Had an All-Pro type year at the age of 34 and that was after BB let him come into camp late.

Thats so four years ago get with times man...forgot Waters was that old when we got him from KC my bad.

He's probably the best guard in the NFL and has a very manageable contract.

Ben Grubbs, who's slightly younger and also very good, just got traded to the Chiefs for a 5th round pick. The Patriots don't have a 5th but have the 2nd pick in the 6th round, so that would be about equivalent.

Premium stopgap until the rookie gets it. Works for me.
I agree with this. He would be excellent to have for a season or two.

Anyone saying they would rather have a rookie instead of Mathis just means they have some binky OL on their draft board.

Anyone saying they would rather have a rookie instead of Mathis just means they have some binky OL on their draft board.

Turns out you can have both!!

Ben Grubbs, who's slightly younger and also very good, just got traded to the Chiefs for a 5th round pick. The Patriots don't have a 5th but have the 2nd pick in the 6th round, so that would be about equivalent. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Dennard for Mathis + 6th.

Do they need a CB?

032614_evan-mathis_600.jpg

I love the idea of trading for or signing a solid OG but...

Mathis is 33 going on 34, coming off of a major knee injury. And as Sciz says he's making $5.5 mil. That's up there for a Guard. And he's "expressed displeasure" in his contract. In other words he wants a raise, maybe an extension too. No way do I give a 33/34 year old anything coming off a knee injury any kinds of salary guarantees or bonus we're going to have amortize for a few years.

One more thing. He may have been as good or better than Mankins...once upon a time. But I'd be really surprised if he's near that now. Unless someone means the 2014 version of Mankins. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back