PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Patriots set to make big trades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over on Jetsinsider, the speculation is it could be for Ndamukong Suh. Could make sense considering his and Megatron's contract are hurting their cap. They will have give Stafford a big deal.

Just speculation with nothing to support it other than the has been talk in Detriot in the media to move Suh.

Don't even try to follow cap implications any more (never was good at it,) but I don't get why this is cap suicide. Someone dumb it down for me, long time listener, first time caller. Why is getting rid of Fitzgerald cap suicide, and are there any mitigating mechanisms that could be used in the hypothetical deal?

not sure why is hurting you but try this:

at simplest: trading a vet who signed a contract with a lot of bonus $ can be cap suicide for the losing team because all that bonus $ that was being prorated over the out-years of the contract - all of a sudden gets lumped back into the here and now in one lump sum.

if player is in last year of a contract it will make no difference;

if he still has 3+ to go; a trade is unlikely.

Ex:
2010: player A: signs 5-year deal for $25M -$1M salary per yr & $20M signing bonus (sb)
cap hit on team each yr: $5M

cap hit in yr traded to losing team:
-if traded in 2011: $16M
(20sb - 4M from 2010) [team out cash of $21M for 1 yr of play]

-if traded in 2012: $12M
(20sb-8 from 2010-11) [team out cash of #22M for 2 yr of play-11M per]

-if traded in 2013: $8M
(etc) [team out $23M for 3 yrs-7.6 per]

-if traded in 2014: $4M
(etc) [team out $24M for 4 yrs-6M per]

obviously trading the guy in 11 or 12 makes no sense; it dumps 10%+ of your cap space on a guy who is going to play for someone else. unless the guy is screwing the coach's wife;); a team wont do that.

Suh is a beast, but he's a **** bag and his head isn't fully in the game. I don't want him.

Suh is a beast, but he's a **** bag and his head isn't fully in the game. I don't want him.

I am torn on a trade like this. The idea of him and Wilfork playing inside will strike fear in every opposing QB, but he is one cheap shot, off the field incident, or whatever from a long suspension.

Over on Jetsinsider, the speculation is it could be for Ndamukong Suh. Could make sense considering his and Megatron's contract are hurting their cap. They will have give Stafford a big deal.

Just speculation with nothing to support it other than the has been talk in Detriot in the media to move Suh.

I would 100% support this move.

I am torn on a trade like this. The idea of him and Wilfork playing inside will strike fear in every opposing QB, but he is one cheap shot, off the field incident, or whatever from a long suspension.

From the neck down, Suh is a future Hall Of Famer. BUT, does BB take such a big chance on such a big head case ? And do we have enough cap space for this ?

So, NE had been rumored to be in deals for...

Revis...

Fitzgerald....

and now DonkeyKong Suh?

Yeah, this all sounds like crazy talk.

Suh would be more of a difference maker than Revis or Fitz

Suh would be more of a difference maker than Revis or Fitz

As Moe from the Simpsons would say "Whaaaa ?". Fitz would make our offense insane, Revis would make our secondary excellent.

Suh isn't happening. The Lions would take almost $30 million in dead money to trade him.

Suh is shades of Haynesworth. Hard to imagine the club giving up what it would take to bring him in after having so recently dealt with a headcase DL.

I speculate that all of these posts are mere speculation. But then again, I speculate that I could be speculating incorrectly.

As Moe from the Simpsons would say "Whaaaa ?". Fitz would make our offense insane, Revis would make our secondary excellent.

There's only 1 ball.....team already scores > 500 points per season....fitz would not be that much of a net gain

Suh isn't happening. The Lions would take almost $30 million in dead money to trade him.

And even in a vacuum, it would take this years first and second, along with next years first or second for them to even consider trading him.

Ridiculous notion. Not in a million years. Even more unlikely than Fitzgerald who is never happening.

There's only 1 ball.....team already scores > 500 points per season....fitz would not be that much of a net gain

True.

But.... How many points did we score in the last 2 games that mattered?
I Think we could have used him in those 2 games (11' SB & 12' AFCCG)

True.

But.... How many points did we score in the last 2 games that mattered?
I Think we could have used him in those 2 games (11' SB & 12' AFCCG)

Instead of what 10m worth of players removed from the roster? You can't just add him

From the neck down, Suh is a future Hall Of Famer. BUT, does BB take such a big chance on such a big head case ? And do we have enough cap space for this ?

Young men grow up, it takes time but they do ....... or they do 30 years in Shawshank. I don't mind the cheap shots (re: Rodney) and I don't recall any off-field stuff.

And even in a vacuum, it would take this years first and second, along with next years first or second for them to even consider trading him.

Ridiculous notion. Not in a million years. Even more unlikely than Fitzgerald who is never happening.

What about a three way trade, involving Mallett and another high pick. Suh is going to cost a barrel of money to sign and it would be a consideration in a trade. It's speculation but next to Wilfork ........ Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe