PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stopping Jets offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must have some success at running the ball and keep Brady and the offense off the field as much as possible.We will not win a shootout.Also your TE's and the underneath routes scare me a bit.It hasn't been the big pass plays that kill us just the underneath crossing routes and if a team has some speed at TE then it could be a problem. But it will be very interesting Mon..
See, now that's what I'm talking about.

You're not going to take four more years for your next comment are you?
Hopefully not.

So Pats' TE and short passing game versus the Jets mid-short pass coverage favors the Pats. What's the difference between the Jets running game of 2009 and 2010? Does the team miss Thomas Jones?

FAIL - check again

Attempts 21-Through-30 91 45 49.5

Attempts 31+ 53 28 52.8

Sorry Wrong -- 53 attempts over 31 and 91 (21-30) - Thats almost 5 a game over 30 and over 14 a game 20+ (close to half his pass attempts)

Actually, you are the one with the fail. That isn't the YARDAGE of the attempt. That is the ATTEMPT number. In other words, how the player does on his first 10 attempts, 2nd 10 attempts, and his 3rd 10 attempts.

You, buddy, are the fail. NFL.COM does NOT keep track of the attempts by DISTANCE. ESPN.com does.

Mark Sanchez Splits - New York Jets - ESPN
Look at the section that says: BY PASS PLAY.

If you add up the attempts from 21-30, 31-40 and 41+, you'll see that it's a total of 44 attempts. And he's only completed 11 of those 44 attempts.

Figuring the math, that means Sanchez has completed 190 of the 320 passes under 20 yards. Good for a 59.38 completion %.

See, now that's what I'm talking about.

You're not going to take four more years for your next comment are you?
Hopefully not.

So Pats' TE and short passing game versus the Jets mid-short pass coverage favors the Pats. What's the difference between the Jets running game of 2009 and 2010? Does the team miss Thomas Jones?

LOL..
I think we somewhat miss Jones burst at second level.Greene hasn't had one of those runs this year where he hits a hole and is able to break tackles in the secondary. Thomas Jones was giving us those long runs but I wonder did Faneca have more to do with that as well because there hasn't been many holes to begin with.I wasn't crazy about Faneca pass protect ,but he was a beast in the running department. LT has giving Sanchez a nice option out the back field. But Greene needs to get more carries and be secure with the ball.He does has that ability to wear a defense out.I would say we miss Faneca more then Jones as far as running the ball.

I don't know why you even tried to prove that to him. The fact of the matter is the long passing game is part of every Qb's game. If we get rid of it for Sanchez we should get rid of it for everyone else.

Let's get down to it.......I am not scared of the "Sanchise" in any way. I think, at this point he is an above average QB at best, possibly headed towards "good" as his career progresses. Nothing to fear and we certainly have faced and beaten much better this year.

What does concern me a whole lot is trying to cover their passing game threats - TE's have eaten us up alive this year and Keller has always hurt us. The always not so classy, crybaby Tomlinson has to be a major worry cathing passes out fo the backfield. They have their pair of the fine, upstanding, good citizen, good role model and all aorund nice guy bookends in Holmes and Edwards. Rounding things out are Crotchery (if he is ready to go), and Brad Smith, coming off of his best game as a pro yesterday.

Our DB group seems to be getting better every week, but still prone to giving up too much yardage. Out LB's are not doing a good job in coverage at all and our pass rush has been fair/good, but nowhere near the dominating force desired.

So, beating the jests is going to come down to taking away their run game, which I am confident will be done and then making Sanchez feel uncomfortable, hence forcing mistakes.

Thoughts and analysis please?

We can't stop anyone, and they're unstoppable. I'm sorry, that's the truth, I have to accept it. Every single thread says so, so this season is obviously just a charade. I say we don't show up and save our dignity.

To you Jets fans. The Pats put up 39 points on the best defense in the league in the Steelers. Just stop and think about that. A defense that is BETTER than yours.
This team is NOT the same team you faced in Week 2 or last year.

Last edited:
Seriously, I think our offense is much better than the first time and we'll put up points. if Sanchez has to throw, i think we can force some mistakes. We did it against whatshisname and the other guy and we have a pretty good defensive coach...Beli something.

LOL..
I think we somewhat miss Jones burst at second level.Greene hasn't had one of those runs this year where he hits a hole and is able to break tackles in the secondary. Thomas Jones was giving us those long runs but I wonder did Faneca have more to do with that as well because there hasn't been many holes to begin with.I wasn't crazy about Faneca pass protect ,but he was a beast in the running department. LT has giving Sanchez a nice option out the back field. But Greene needs to get more carries and be secure with the ball.He does has that ability to wear a defense out.I would say we miss Faneca more then Jones as far as running the ball.
Thanks for that, much appreciated. I can't speak for others but the amount of time I have actually spent watching the Jets is limited - the two teams often play at the same time - though I'll admit it doesn't keep me from commenting on them.

We are familiar with Tomlinson, and another Sanchez debate is unnecessary. Since the topic of this thread is "Stopping the Jets offense", what about the receivers? What are your thoughts on Holmes and Edwards? Where do they excel, and where do they need to improve? And what about Brad Smith?

Thanks

To you Jets fans. The Pats put up 39 points on the best defense in the league in the Steelers. Just stop and think about that. A defense that is BETTER than yours.

To be fair, though, Jets secondary > Steelers secondary.

And therein is the key to who wins...........Patriots have scored a measly SEVEN points in the second half of the last three games these teams have played. That one TD came at the end of last Novembers Patriot victory after Bodden intercepted in the 4th quarter at the Jet 25 and we took it in from there.

That folks has been the extent of the Patriot 2nd half offense with a Brady led team since 9/9/07 against the Jets. Other than the above TD off of a pick, NE has scored NO touchdowns against Ryan's Jets in the 2nd half.

So, needless to say - our offense is going to need to score in the 2nd half next Monday night....I am hoping for a defer and a score to close out the first half followed by a nice long TD drive to open up the third quarter.

Give me that and wins over Buff & Miami and I think we will be looking at a sweet bye and home field throughout!!

Last edited:
I'll admit I'm a Jets fan...but respect Brady and Belichick a ton...they are fantastic...I honestly think the Pats will beat the Jets Monday....but the fun is just waiting for it...knowing its probably biggest game of year in AFC maybe NFL...until the playoffs...

For some reason....and I'm not sure why...I don't take the Jets as seriously as I take teams like the Pitt and Indy. Maybe it's because those teams are true contenders year in and year out.

The Patriots play 4 or 5 marquee games a year and the team will treat this game as business as usual. I look for the Jets luck to run out next Monday night. :rocker:

I would like to argue that.
DT - Pats without a doubt.
TE - Pats have more depth.
ILB - The Pats may have them there.

The Jets OL pretty much neutralizes the Pats advantage at DT. Wilfork got manhandled against Mangold last time and the Jets backs ran wild on the Pats for the tune of 136 yards. I agree the Pats have the edge at DT, but in this case the head-to-head matchup is moot.

The Jets OL pretty much neutralizes the Pats advantage at DT. Wilfork got manhandled against Mangold last time and the Jets backs ran wild on the Pats for the tune of 136 yards. I agree the Pats have the edge at DT, but in this case the head-to-head matchup is moot.

But the Jets run game has also regressed in the last 5 or 6 games. Tomlinson's age is catching up with him, and Greene has been very inconsistent.

This is also a different defense, with 4 new starters since the last time we played. Deaderick should start in Warren's spot and Cunningham replaces Tully, who is a pass rusher only. Combined with Arrington replacing Butler, who is stronger in the run game, and this D is much better against the run than the week 2 version.

I still think the Jets will run the ball effectively, but nowhere near as well as they did in week 2.

Welker was also nowhere near 100% that game, took a shot to the head and didn't do much after that. He's improved significantly since that game. But you've got Holmes, who has made some huge plays in the past few weeks for your team.

I do think Sanchez has improved over that time though, and Holmes wasn't available in that week 2 game. Him and Keller are my main concerns over the running game. I think Arrington provides a more physical match-up with Edwards than Butler did, though Arrington is also very inconsistent. And as Sanchez has grown over the past 10 weeks, so have Chung, McCourty and Arrington.

In many ways, you can throw that week 2 game out the door as both teams have changed a lot in the past 10 weeks. It's going to be a great game.

I'll tell you...as soon as a Jets fan says the word Sanchez...you guys are like OMG....you suck......and have no chance to win...you didnt win any playoff games...they were given to you....Sanchez actually made now throws in the playoffs....and Rex is fat and knows no Defense....
Thats foolish. When Snachez comes up we give an honest opinion of him, and you cry because you dont like that honest opinion.

It all depends which Jets offense shows up. That unit has been a real Jeckyl and Hyde group. One second, they are awful and the next they are a pinball machine bouncing up and down the field with ease. The good news is that they rarely start well and the first quarter has been awful for them.

More good news is that Sanchez still makes bad throws. Unlike last year, these throws aren't costing them because defenders aren't picking off these passes as they did last year. Though since mid-October, he has been turning the ball over much more. In the last six games, he has 8 TDs vs. 8 INTs. For a team like the Pats who are second in the league in INTs, it is a good thing.

I think the Pats will stop or at least slow down the run. Tomlinson is old again and slowing losing carries. He has had over 4 YPC, more than 60 yards in a game, and only two total TDs since Minnesota in early October although he has been very effective at times in the passing game. Shonn Greene hasn't been any better (those playoff games last year look like a fluke) and isn't much a threat in the passing game.

I would put McCourty on Holmes. The Pats have to start considering having McCourty shadowing the best WR all game (Megatron was shutdown by him on Thursday, but looked like the player he is when he lined up against Arrington).

I don't know if pressuring Sanchez is the best idea. Many of his worst throws are when he has time to throw. The guy feels he has to make the play and will force balls to receivers. So it might be better to blanket his receivers and force Sanchez to make plays where there might not be any. That may mean extra people in coverage.

frankly pittsburgh was stubborn to keep running the same fire zone blitzes. give rex ryan credit in week 2. his blitzes were being picked apart in the first half and he switched to playing more coverage in the 2nd half and caused brady trouble something pittsburgh never did or will do because thats how they are. So pitt maybe a better overvall D but the jets matchup better vs the pats because they will play a lot of man-to-man press coverage on our WR so it will be a challenge to find people open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe