PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The last 2 times Brady wasn't the starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick isn’t throwing a season in the trash.

Not when the guy he’s chasing on the all time wins list called him a cheater. He hasn’t forgotten that. I expect he’ll have the team competing every week even if it means 8-8 or 9-7 and out of the top 10 in the draft.

Who cares. If you gonna have a bad season then this coming year is one to have it. Lawrence is a once in a generation talent. Why win games at that point if they start off badly. I think Lawrence will be a good pro. Not to mentioned that you will have cap space to put more pieces around him.

Who cares. If you gonna have a bad season then this coming year is one to have it. Lawrence is a once in a generation talent. Why win games at that point if they start off badly. I think Lawrence will be a good pro. Not to mentioned that you will have cap space to put more pieces around him.

Belichick cares and that’s why he will have the team ready to go every week.

Lawrence is a pipe dream for the Patriots.

Belichick cares and that’s why he will have the team ready to go every week.

Lawrence is a pipe dream for the Patriots.

Why is he a pipe dream? The dolphins, bungles, chargers all got their QB. The only teams i see is the jags. I expect the panthers to be competitive.

Why is he a pipe dream? The dolphins, bungles, chargers all got their QB. The only teams i see is the jags. I expect the panthers to be competitive.

Because he is going first overall and the Pats won’t have the record low enough to get that pick and I don’t see them having the capital to trade up to it. If Lawrence is this good I’m also sure the Pats and Jags won’t be the only ones interested. A team like the Jets- I’m sure they will trade off Darnold for Lawrence in a heartbeat.

Id throw Chicago in as another team that could be in the qb market.

Matt Cassel got a raw deal in KC.

Todd Haley was a prick and micro managed Charlie Weis calling the plays. Haley's playcalling set up was cluster f◇ck where it went through 3 people before Cassel got the play on the field. In the KC vs Balt post season game Haley took the playcalling away from Weis mid game.

The reason we won't be is the schedule. It will be a lot like last year where the D will keep us in games but at the end of the day, Stidham is going to have to make big-time throws. Devlin just retired so they need another road grader out there or our still sizable stable of RB's will be stuck in the mud like last year. The O-line should be better but without Scar...who knows...

There's going to be a significant step back for this team next year and that's okay. Losing a generational talent like Brady isn't something most teams can come back from in a year or even two or three.
The schedule difficulty is a canard.
At this point a year ago the 2019 schedule looked pretty much the same as the 2020 schedule does now.

Belichick isn’t throwing a season in the trash.

Not when the guy he’s chasing on the all time wins list called him a cheater. He hasn’t forgotten that. I expect he’ll have the team competing every week even if it means 8-8 or 9-7 and out of the top 10 in the draft.
It’s not about the all time
wins list.
It’s about ruining a 53 man roster to get a chance at a 21 year old.
If you tell 53 players that their career means so much to you that you want to put crap around them, lose on purpose and put bad film in the can on them you have lost your team.
It never works.
You create a culture of losing, and you create animosity and distrust from the very players you are trying to build around.
Then you tell them they suck so bad you are going to sacrifice a year if their career because some college kid is the savior.
It has never worked and it never will work.

Last edited:
Comments:

1.) I looked it up quick and the following players are in contract years: Lawrence Guy, Mohamed Sanu, Jason McCourty, James White, Joe Thuney (pending trade/long term deal), Dont'a Hightower, J.C. Jackson, and David Andrews, and Rex Burkhead. All veterans that we could flip mid-season for picks/younger players if we start out 0-5 or something.

2.) I feel confident that this team as currently constructed...will be competitive. Look at the Steelers without Big Ben last year and HORRIBLE QB play and injuries to Conner....they finished what? 8-8 and barely missed the playoffs. No, we can't compete with Baltimore and K.C. right now....but we won't be roadkill....

Comments:

1.) I looked it up quick and the following players are in contract years: Lawrence Guy, Mohamed Sanu, Jason McCourty, James White, Joe Thuney (pending trade/long term deal), Dont'a Hightower, J.C. Jackson, and David Andrews, and Rex Burkhead. All veterans that we could flip mid-season for picks/younger players if we start out 0-5 or something.

2.) I feel confident that this team as currently constructed...will be competitive. Look at the Steelers without Big Ben last year and HORRIBLE QB play and injuries to Conner....they finished what? 8-8 and barely missed the playoffs. No, we can't compete with Baltimore and K.C. right now....but we won't be roadkill....

And BB >>> Tomlin.

We’re probably going to get thumped by the Chiefs but I think we can hang with the Ravens. I see that offense taking a sizeable step back. And Bluetooth went away so who knows. :)

Tribiscuit is not the guy.

I find the tattoo in your avatar extremely offensive.

The American flag is a symbol of oppression.

And BB >>> Tomlin.

We’re probably going to get thumped by the Chiefs but I think we can hang with the Ravens. I see that offense taking a sizeable step back. And Bluetooth went away so who knows. :)

I think the Ravens will be as difficult as KC just because I don't see the Pats having any good interior D-Lineman to be capable to set the anchor in the middle and not beeing moved around by baltimore O-liner, they will run the hell out of everyone until Jackson gets hurt.
Would love if the Pats have had some Wilfork type NT there just for such teams.

But in General, it is a tough schedule as of now, though things can change fast during the season with injuries, you never know.

If Stidham is no better than Matt Cassel we're in for a long season.
That's kind of the point. The barrier isn't as high as people think it is. Stidham doesn't have to be Brady, he just has to be efficient enough that one of the best offensive scheme teams in the world can find a way to use him

The fact of the matter is , fellas, that the proverbial Emperor hasn't exactly been richly dressed for a few years now. Brady had slowed down a ton in the last few years and was relying more and more on having excellent supporting talent to get the job done, especially after 2016 or so. Certainly you have to give a lot of credit for SB53 to the defense, and especially the secondary, rather than the quarterback. Dude's still got one heck of a football mind, but the body is finally going, and it's been more and more obvious as the years move forward.

We are not losing Brady in his prime, we're losing his 2008+ Favre years, where he'll string a few reminiscent plays together and struggle badly in between them. We were already starting to see that happen last year, and it's not going to get better from here.

Nothing could replace Brady in his prime. But that's not the guy we're trying to replace. A young quarterback with some new ideas and a whole lot of energy and drive can potentially replace the guy we had last year. Personally I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the master tactician (McD) and master strategist (BB) come up with for Stidham. I think this will wind up turning to our advantage

That's kind of the point. The barrier isn't as high as people think it is. Stidham doesn't have to be Brady, he just has to be efficient enough that one of the best offensive scheme teams in the world can find a way to use him
Cassel had Moss, Walker, and Gaffney all in their primes along with an absolutely dominant OL and a favorable schedule that year. Stidham has... decidedly less... to work with. At least as far as we know right now. Who knows? Maybe the rookie TEs and Thomas set the world on fire and come out like gangbusters.

The fact of the matter is , fellas, that the proverbial Emperor hasn't exactly been richly dressed for a few years now. Brady had slowed down a ton in the last few years and was relying more and more on having excellent supporting talent to get the job done, especially after 2016 or so. Certainly you have to give a lot of credit for SB53 to the defense, and especially the secondary, rather than the quarterback. Dude's still got one heck of a football mind, but the body is finally going, and it's been more and more obvious as the years move forward.

We are not losing Brady in his prime, we're losing his 2008+ Favre years, where he'll string a few reminiscent plays together and struggle badly in between them. We were already starting to see that happen last year, and it's not going to get better from here.

Nothing could replace Brady in his prime. But that's not the guy we're trying to replace. A young quarterback with some new ideas and a whole lot of energy and drive can potentially replace the guy we had last year. Personally I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the master tactician (McD) and master strategist (BB) come up with for Stidham. I think this will wind up turning to our advantage

That's nonsense. He was the league MVP in 2017, for crying out loud.

Cassel had Moss, Walker, and Gaffney all in their primes along with an absolutely dominant OL and a favorable schedule that year. Stidham has... decidedly less... to work with. At least as far as we know right now. Who knows? Maybe the rookie TEs and Thomas set the world on fire and come out like gangbusters.
Our OL is good, if we get Andrews back. We have good young receivers and we still have Edelman. TE is an issue but it was an issue last year too, so nothing changes there. We have a very good run game that will be better if Andrews and Wynn are in the lineup.

One thing we have that is way better than the 2008 team, the D in 2008 really showed its age. Especially the secondary which developed some serious holes due to the age of players like Harrison and Samuel. That was the unit that failed us in the Superbowl and it kept right on failing us throughout that following year. Right now we actually have a very solid defensive unit, and our secondary is one of the best in the business with superstar talent at the top and good depth behind it. If I have a concern it's with the age of the Flying McCourty Brothers but they haven't really slowed down yet, so fingers crossed

2008, Patriots go 10-5 after winning the game in which he goes down. The starter, Matt Cassel, went on to have a short career as an NFL starter and even lead the Chiefs to a playoff appearance before injuries and his limited arm strength relegated him to a perennial backup

2016, with 2 different backups during Brady's suspension, managed to go 3-1 and nearly went 4-0 but the rookie 3rd string quarterback playing through a hand injury had a rough game in week 4. Some mountains just aren't there to be climbed. Both of those 2 backups were starters last year, although their trajectory looks very different going forward.

I think our track record of getting the job done without TB12 is pretty good. That's not to say Brady is anything other than great. the usual relationship is that Belichick gets Brady into position to win championships then Brady executes in the clutch, we don't win 6 in living memory without that.

There's no reason we won't be right in the thick of things next year. The only team that worries me at all in our division is the Bills, and unless they take a big step forward offensively I can't consider them a true threat for the division. If we do our job we ought to be back in the playoffs next year and after that it's anyone's guess.
Can't really compare 08 and 16 to this upcoming year. Different years, Different teams. Different schedules.

What we do know is those two teams had good rosters- in which BB built, to finish with a 14-6 without Tom starting.

We have no idea how good the 2020 roster is- yet but we do know BB knows how to build/construct a team and win games that is not solely reliant on it's QB to win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back