PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Why Not? Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is the DW Toys "Pre" Trade-A-Rama because I am bored to death waiting for Nick and BB to get back from their "College trips to look at players they won't Draft anyway" tour as Rome burns while they fiddle around. Hope you are getting well tanned boys. By the way FA has started in case you did not know and you can now look at the "Cream of the Crap" who are left over for you....or....maybe they just hated every FA on the board and Trades seem like a good idea.

I have three potential Trades to offer for your amusement...or not.

1) The good old Eagles! How about TE Brent Celek 30-6'4" 255. Last year had lowest YPC of career. 15.6 YPC in 2013. Maybe we can buy "low".
Jason Witten type. Good receiver. Smart and can block. Perfect compliment to Gronk and a capable value-add. Under contract 2 more years at $4.7m+$4.9m. They have Zack Ertz an emerging NFL young stud.

We know they are shopping G Evan Mathis. He is 33 and under contract 2 more years at $5.5m+$6m. He has been linked to Pats interest wherever the Hell they are!

They want a 5th for Mathis. Perhaps with Chip seeking a youth turnover, he might be interested if BB and the boys are not out of pocket down there (wherever).

So how about:
Chip takes a 3rd and 7th rounder for the pair of Celek and Mathis? Would that be fair?

2) Next are the Texas Patriots? The Texans have B.O., Romeo, Vrabel and Pleasant so the Pats "tree" is there. Let's do something bold. Jadeveon Clowney anyone? The Texans have been clobbered that Jadeveon Clowney is a "Bust". Give me a break! A meniscus and a micro fracture (more serious) but the kid should be fine in 2015. The kid has the talent to be All Pro. We can never Draft that high to get that talent. We have to get lucky or trade for it. We have some parts and piece that might fit.

The Texans understand what BB likes in a player. They might even sigh VW besides two former Pats QBs.

Mayo is a BB and fan favorite. Mayo might still have a few years. Maybe now is the time. I suspect the Texans staff would be thrilled to add him. LB has been thinned out with Brooks leaving. They have a thin CB core. and after Johnson left, not much at WR.

So how about:
Mayo LB
Dobson WR
Dennard CB
Our 32nd pick in the first round.

The Texans gamble but still get a first rounder back and get two young players that have started in the NFL and have had their moments. Decent return for the Texans and not "Maddenesque" in trade realism. The Mayo and Clowney injuries are a push.

For:
Clowney DE
Texans 5th round

Clowney and Jones? With Sheard?...Superb!

3) Finally there is a fire sale going on in N.O. It is fresh blood , youth and CAP freedom they seek. There are two players that might be available (they all are I guess).
CB Keenan Lewis had a great 2013 as a FA signing from the Steelers. 2014 not so much but the Saints were bad as a whole. He has the length at 6'1" and is only 28. He still can cover and break up passes. He can match up better on taller receivers so I think BB is finally going away from the "quick twitch" smurf CB. We don't have a taller CB left. In 2012 for the Steelers he had 23 PBU! He wants out of N.O.

His salary figures are reasonable at $1.8 million, $4.25 million and $4.75 million in base salaries over the next three years.

There is another young player that has been in Sean Payton's "dog house" . Saints outside linebacker Junior Galette maybe on the block. He had an incident with a woman not leaving his house in Jan. She was videoed wielding a knife. There were three other witnesses there for Galette and Galette video taped the issue (see You Tube). Now she said it might have been his "dog" that pulled off her earing. By the way she wanted $2 million to settle! The charges were dropped BUT the Rice situation hangs over the NFL. Still a distraction for any NFL Team.

The 6'2" 258lb OLB Galette is only 26 years old. He has had 22 sacks the last two years. What a steal if the Pats can get him to Team up with with Jones and Sheard.

Mike Triplett @MikeTriplett Follow

"#Saints were reportedly shopping Galette as trade bait. Not sure if this means they've decided to keep him for sure, but would appear so."

• 2015 Roster Bonus: $12.5M (3/12/2015); Restructured to Bonus (3/9/2015)
  • 2015-16 Salaries fully guarantee on 3rd league day
  • 2017-19 Per Game Bonus: $500,000
  • 2018-19 Roster Bonus: $500,000
  • Annual Workout Bonus: $100,000
Basically
2015 $5.4mm
2016 $8.3mm
2017 $9mm
2018 10.7mm
2019 maybe not

So really $13.7mm for two years. His $ numbers are close to Mayo. He might be a bargain at this contract (see Justin Houston at $13.1mm). We might have to ante up some of his bonus cash.

So how about:
CB Dennard (decent but low cost for the Saints)
TE Tim Wright (hell, we ain't using him and he can score some TD's as a move TE for Brees now that they need a TE. Cheap pick up for them. He put up 6TDs to Grahams 10TDs but it is a start for Mr. Brees)
and our first round pick #32

For:
CB Lewis
OLB Galette

Now Loomis has three first round picks (his Seattle's and the Pat's) to rebuild his Team and lowers his CAP. He gets two young players that have produced somewhat.

We get an impact player plus a decent CB with potential.

Other Moves:
Now we pick up a TE like Housler or a consistent Chandler (we just did not what of Wright?).

Dallas needs a RB. Think we can entice them for Jonas Gray? Third rounder? Fourth?

Forum thoughts? Any of these three ideas perk your curiosity as we wait for something really really big to happen?

DW Toys

I was quite certain when clicking on this thread that it would contain a bunch of unrealistic deals in which the Patriots give up some garbage, or at best JAG-type players and unequivalent draft picks in return for some great returns. I was right.

The Saints would incur $16.2M of dead money by trading Galette. They were shopping him before paying the bonus. Now they have paid the bonus, greatly increasing the cap penalty of moving him.

I was quite certain when clicking on this thread that it would contain a bunch of unrealistic deals in which the Patriots give up some garbage, or at best JAG-type players and unequivalent draft picks in return for some great returns. I was right.

Spot on.
Someone should follow fantasy MLB, not football.

What's your issue with giving up a pair of proven defenders and a relatively high draft pick for a player who hasn't played, has durability issues, and took off his senior year? :D

I'd love to rob the saints with Dennard/Wright for Junior, though.

What's your issue with giving up a pair of proven defenders and a relatively high draft pick for a player who hasn't played, has durability issues, and took off his senior year? :D

I'd love to rob the saints with Dennard/Wright for Junior, though.

I would say the fact that you refer to the deal as robbery makes my point just fine. No one wants Dennard and Wright considering they are bubble roster players, though I think you already know that. Pats would never take Gallette anyway for the reason stated above by another poster.

The guy with durability issues also happens to be one of the most talented DEs to come out of college in NFL history. And of course, we would be able to unload Mayo and his problematic contract, along with Dennard and Dobson, two guys who were IR'd last year for non-injury reasons since their play was so subpar. Yeah.

Clowney is going to go down as one of the biggest busts in recent memory.

Celek isnt needed now that we have chandler

Clowney is going to go down as one of the biggest busts in recent memory.

Too soon to tell. Considering his upside, 31 other teams would gladly have him on their rosters to find out.

I would say the fact that you refer to the deal as robbery makes my point just fine. No one wants Dennard and Wright considering they are bubble roster players, though I think you already know that. Pats would never take Gallette anyway for the reason stated above by another poster.

Just one thing you forgot to mention about a "relatively high draft pick"- just so happens that relatively high means the first overall selection and one of the most talented DEs to come out of college in NFL history. And of course, we would be able to unload Mayo and his problematic contract, along with Dennard and Dobson, two guys who were IR'd last year for non-injury reasons since their play was so subpar. Yeah.

My entire post was sarcasm and the relatively high draft pick I was referring to was our own, not the one used to draft Clowney, but I feel *WE* would be losing on that trade based on what we've seen from Clowney of his past 2 years "playing" football.

He might be as talented as Lawrence Taylor but he hasn't played that way since 2012.

I can only envision a trade for a CB, since both the FA and the Draft are somewhat thin.

My entire post was sarcasm and the relatively high draft pick I was referring to was our own, not the one used to draft Clowney, but I feel *WE* would be losing on that trade based on what we've seen from Clowney of his past 2 years "playing" football.

He might be as talented as Lawrence Taylor but he hasn't played that way since 2012.

Oh, sorry...yeah, I edited my post as well after re-reading the relatively high draft pick part.

Clowney has major injury problems Really major

Let's talk JAGS.
That JAG player Dennard is your starting Patriots CB in 2015 right now Cousin.

Consider Mayo a JAG? O.K. I guess..........

Dobson has had his moments but time to move on. Youth and potential.

Wright makes sense for Brees. Wright was left in cob webs here. McDaniels made him a JAG. 6TDs are not too bad.

I get it on some of this . In the interim, I was beaten to the punch as Chandler was signed so Celek is not a great idea now. Mathis still is.

Then, like I said, fire sale in N.O. Jimmy Graham was an "unrealistic" deal...?

Yes Clowney is still a valuable commodity. Is there a good package to get him along with our first? I would do many choices. I like that gamble.
Thank you for the comments.
DW Toys

I have missed DW's posts. I have outlandish thoughts and ideas as well, but his always top mine. This is true inspiration.

I haven't had any crazy thoughts yet because the 2014 roster was maybe one of the best we have ever had from top to bottom. Even freaking Bolden was making plays. My craziness is slowly building towards the draft.

the Texans aren't too optimistic that Clowney will be ready to play when the season starts. There is serious concern in Houston that he will never be able to play to his potential due to the injuries.

in response to the original post, i think thats too complicated.

lets just trade our 2015 1st round pick for Joe Haden
then lets trade our 2016 1st round pick for Richard Sherman
next, lets trade our 2017 1st round pick for Mo Wilkerson

our defense would be amazing. I think the other teams would definitely make these trades

i can see belly trading a 4th for Alterraun Verner
remember bucs are our feeder team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk