PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thought experiment: If the Lions coughed up #1 for Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRiZ

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Detroits #1 pick in the draft?

sorry if i havent responded to some of you guys posts, but i cant post here without my posts being moderated, so my responses may not show up.

Anyways i was thinking if we had the #1 pick in the draft who would we take?

If we franchise Cassel we could then trade him to Detroit along with our 1st round pick #24 for Detroits #1 pick. We may have to add in a 2nd or 3rd but the foundation of the deal would be Cassel plus our #24 pick. Detroit may not want to pick a QB #1, they might not want to have to pay #1 pick money to anyone, they might like the idea of trading down and picking up another 1st and a proven QB in Cassel, but who knows its just an idea. We could also dangle Cassel as trade up bait plus our 1st rounder to move up to #10 pick San Francisco, that would probably be more ideal, but its fun to think of us having the #1 pick in the draft!

If we had the #1 id go with Maualuga or one of the big OT's.

I'm not saying it's going to happen--I'm almost certain it won't--but I know at least one poster on this board has been lusting after it. :)

So, let's say for the sake of argument the unthinkable happens, and the Pats do end up with the #1 overall pick. If you couldn't find a trade partner, who would you take?

i dont know why people think it would be unthinkable to get a first rounder for him...i think that a team would be nuts not to trade their first rounder for him. i know if i were a team without a good QB, i would gladly give up a first rounder for a guy that is much more likely to produce and sooner, than a first round draft choice

oh. and i have no idea who they would take. doesnt really matter though. i would prefer a S or CB but it doesnt matter, as long as the player is good

i dont know why people think it would be unthinkable to get a first rounder for him...i think that a team would be nuts not to trade their first rounder for him. i know if i were a team without a good QB, i would gladly give up a first rounder for a guy that is much more likely to produce and sooner, than a first round draft choice

I'm not arguing that they won't get a first-rounder, I'm arguing that they wouldn't get (or even want) the first pick in the Draft.

i dont know why people think it would be unthinkable to get a first rounder for him...

Before this thread gets too far off track, let's clarify that the OP isn't talking about "a first rounder" but rather the #1 overall pick.

JaMarcus Russell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Failing to reach a contract agreement with the Raiders, Russell held out through training camp and the first weeks of the 2007 NFL season, until September 12, 2007, when he signed a six-year contract worth up to $68 million, with $31.5 million guaranteed.

Lapeer's Jake Long signs five-year NFL contract with Miami Dolphins - Flint, Michigan Sports News - The Flint Journal – MLive.com
The Lapeer East High and University of Michigan graduate on Tuesday signed a five-year contract with the Dolphins, who have the No. 1 pick in this weekend's draft in New York. The deal reportedly is worth $57.75 million, with $30 million guaranteed.

I'm not arguing that they won't get a first-rounder, I'm arguing that they wouldn't get (or even want) the first pick in the Draft.

i didnt say you thought that. i agree with you that some people dont think that. i think they are wrong

Before this thread gets too far off track, let's clarify that the OP isn't talking about "a first rounder" but rather the #1 overall pick.

OHHHHH. the first overall

i would want someone elite fromt he line...

not a skill position

Probably Oher or some other O-lineman

An OT that could take over for Kaczur and eventually for Light would be ideal.

The best player... on the PLANET! No idea who that is though. I wouldn't mind trading down to #10 in that scenario. #10 has done is pretty well recently.

So, let's say for the sake of argument the unthinkable happens, and the Pats do end up with the #1 overall pick. If you couldn't find a trade partner, who would you take?

Normally, I don't respond to these type of topics :rolleyes:, but if it's for fun, I'll play. :)

Let's see, we have the #1 overall, and can't give a dumpster discount to any trading partner, so we're forced to pick one player. Looking at the Pats roster, needs, and value of each draft prospect (from a BB perspective), I'd say the top two players are:

Aaron Curry - most here want an ILB to pair with Mayo. So why not take the top-ranked LB. Has any team ever had back-to-back defensive rookie of the year winners?

Michael Crabtree - most here also want an upgrade from Gaffney. If anyone has seen Crabtree play, they'd realize this is not a luxury pick just because we have Welker and Moss. We would be strengthening our strength by adding a strong RZ/EZ target. Who needs a pass receiving TE with this trio?

The only other position I'd consider would be OT -- of which there are several to choose from. Now if there's one OT head and shoulders above Curry and Crabtree -- I'd consider him. And assuming the Pats would still be selecting at #24, numerous scenarios remain possible, including trading up. :singing:

Thanks, I now feel dirty...:ugh:

with Detrot, St. Louis, Kansas City, Seattle, San Fran, Washington, Chicago, Tampa and Minnesota all potential bidders, we could end up with a lot better compensation that most would anticipate

with Detrot, St. Louis, Kansas City, Seattle, San Fran, Washington, Chicago, Tampa and Minnesota all potential bidders, we could end up with a lot better compensation that most would anticipate

The sad thing, though, is almost every one of those teams could talk themselves out of it. . . .

If teams believe in Michael Oher, there definitely could be bidders -- look at the scramble for OTs in the first round last year.

The #1 overall would seriously scare me. I would want out of that spot in the worst way.

Theres always the possibility of trading out of the #1 spot for an awesome proven vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back