PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When do we start complaining about defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchmaster617

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
We all know it is coming, "how dare a Bellichick defense give up 28 in 3 quarters!"

Trust me I am more than happy with the results, but somebody has to start this yearly offseason narrative. Personally I am shocked how MVP Ryan choked so hard, he was balling out and then up 25 just soiled himself, 31-0 run really?

We all know it is coming, "how dare a Bellichick defense give up 28 in 3 quarters!"

Trust me I am more than happy with the results, but somebody has to start this yearly offseason narrative. Personally I am shocked how MVP Ryan choked so hard, he was balling out and then up 25 just soiled himself, 31-0 run really?

21 points actually. Wasn't their best game and had a few breakdowns but overall I thought they played well. They contained JJ and that was a win. Got some good pressure on Ryan... something that's been missing at times this year.

Never a bad thing for them to figure out ways to get even better next year.

Sure, it wasn't there best game, but it was against the highest scoring offense in the league.

I don't think the Seahawks defense considered scrapping their whole defense when Brady shredded them in SB 49. It's the playoffs and you face good opposition, sometimes the opposition will make plays.

Hope we get the whole defense back for next season!!

How many are free-agents on the D?

I couldn't possibly care less how they won. Whether it was 70-68 or 2-0. All that mattered is a win. There aren't any style points after that in the Super Bowl.

Hopefully not before they give up their first TD next year. What they did in the second half was legendary.

Anyone that rails on this defense is ignorant and didn't watch the game. First off, they only gave up 21 as one of the ATL scores was a pick 6. Another 7 points was gifted to them when LG fumbled.

Superbowl XXXVIII - Patriots 32-29. People still remember the 03 defense quite fondly.

It was fabulous to watch BB furiously scribbling notes in the first half in working on the adjustments they had to make on Offense and Defense.

Our second half defense puts the clamps on teams. Just like in 2014.

It was fabulous to watch BB furiously scribbling notes in the first half in working on the adjustments they had to make on Offense and Defense.

Martysaurus said in his interview that very few adjustments were made at half time, it was more about expectations. It was just another "do your job" moment.

Not for nothing but Butler was outstanding making Gabriel a non factor all game, along with whoever covered Sanu (it was a mix of Rowe in the first half and Ryan in the second I think). Julio was always going to get his but he rarely had easy catches. Outstanding job by the secondary.

Wasn't the defense's best game but they put their pants on and handled Atlanta when the team needed them to. So awesome that High, Nink, Butler, McCourty, Chung are all two-time SB champs. Call me greedy, I want one more for em to match the first dynasty. Put those names in the breath as Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Law...

Martysaurus said in his interview that very few adjustments were made at half time, it was more about expectations. It was just another "do your job" moment.

I thought I heard at least two players mention that the coaches spent some time away (during the half) and then came back to address the players. I am assuming that there were specific points that the coaches went over that enabled the D to know what to do and hence stifle + create pressure.

Plus, ATL's RT (and RB too?) had a key injury at the most unfortunate time for them. Did it play a role?

I don't know.

all I know that our D and O played fantastic in the 4Q and capitalized on every single mistake of the Falcons.

As a result, we did the unbelievable and are rightfully holding up the trophy.

Hope the NFL* and its crooked commy had a great night too. :D

The defense is bad ass. I would love to return everyone next year and do it again.
Although, since we are talking about it, I would love to improve the pass rush a bit. If we had gotten more pressure on Ryan earlier in the game it would have been easier. I'm a big fan of Flowers and Sheard, but Long and Nink aren't getting younger and McClellin isn't much of a pass rusher.

Another 7 points was gifted to them when LG fumbled.

I wouldn't say the LG fumble gifted Atlanta any points. I don't recall the specifics but Atlanta still had to drive AT LEAST 60 yards to get the score.

Please note that when I say this I am not one of the people complaining about the defense and agree with your overall sentiment.......just had to make this one correction.

16472816_1560602517301921_7633310185666204559_n.jpg

21 points actually. Wasn't their best game and had a few breakdowns but overall I thought they played well. They contained JJ and that was a win. Got some good pressure on Ryan... something that's been missing at times this year.

Never a bad thing for them to figure out ways to get even better next year.
It was also a really good offense and it was kind of weird to see them generate so much pass rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes