PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork has 3 offers of 2 years 10 million????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think wilfork wants too much than what teams are offering. I think he comes back. If wilfork comes back then if we do draft dt, it will be in later rounds.

Odd for a team that is interested in you ...not to bring you in to meet the brass and coaches....

I think wilfork wants too much than what teams are offering. I think he comes back. If wilfork comes back then if we do draft dt, it will be in later rounds.
I think they are exclusive of one another.

If WV comes back, they will still target a DT in the draft that can rush the passer and stop the run.

Pats need more athleticism on the line.

He seems like a bad fit for the Ravens. They like faster penetrating DTs more than big space eaters. I know someone will bring up Terrence Cody but he evidence that big space eaters do not fit their system. He was a horrible draft choice.
What about Brandon Williams?

As I have been saying, it's a storybook perfect time for Vince to walk away. You couldn't ask for a better final year farewell tour than 2014 for him.

As I have been saying, it's a storybook perfect time for Vince to walk away. You couldn't ask for a better final year farewell tour than 2014 for him.

Of course - but if he still is a valuable run stuffer and isn't finding a market, I'll want him back. I'd be curious what others thought of his play this year.

I thought that even though he is a big body guy, he is still more of a penetrator than a space eater. He is more like an Haloti Ngata than a Vince Wilfork. I admit I don't know all that much about the guy, but that is my impression of him.

If the Patriots sign VW then they will be set on the interior DL for this season and that allows them to focus upon other needs in the remaining free agency and Draft. IMO their needs would look like this:

QB- all set, no moves necessary.

FB-all set.

RB-They art in great shape in the power back Rilke bit they really need a back who can make plays in the paying game and threaten the perimeter of opposing defenses. The AFCE is strong against interior run games but really weak at LB and I expect that Belichick knows that and will find players to exploit it next season. RB could be much higher on their draft priority list than we currently suspect.

TE-all set, they have the best TE in the game and depth. The move TE is also set.

WR-a good corps of receivers but the still lack the high end deep that that stretches defenses. That doesn't seem to be a priority to Belichick.

OT-Very good shape at Tackle, Quality starters and depth.

OG-still one of their biggest needs. Even if Connolly returns they need a minimum of one really good Guard if not two. I don't think Belichick wants to use a first for a guard but the quality of the defensive lines in the AFCE may leave him little choice. A trade for Evan Mathis would be a really good start.

C-Drafting Bryan Stork has fixed this position for year to come as long as v he stays healthy. Exceptional pick, excellent young player.

DT- All set of Wilfork returns. They will have quality and depth as well as leadership at the position.

DE-Excellent starters but the depth is questionable. To some degree it depends upon how you classify the position. Of you look at it as pure 4-3 DE's then you have to factor in how Buchanon and Moore are developing as well as how Easely is being used. If you lot at it as DE/LB the out is deeper as Collins, Hightower, and Sheard are on the mix and they are in excellent shape both in terms of talent and depth.

LB-Maybe the best LB unit in football. Of Mayo gets healthy and returns to form out is hard to see anyone in football matching the talent, depth and football intelligence of this unit. By far and away the strength of their defense. It will be really interesting to see how Belichick uses his LB',s as their strong point.

S- Bringing back McCourty gives them a very good safety unit. Chung is a good strong safety and Belichick maximizes him in hybrid defenses. He gets burned at times but also make some really big plays for them. Harmon is developing nicely and when paid with McCourty gives them a very good back end to their defense.

CB-The biggest concern on the team at this point. There simply is no replacing Revis. And losing Browner cost them both on terms of handling the really big receivers and the may attitude you want you defense to have. Belichick has managed to win Super Bowls with WRs playing the position so all is not lost but it is still the biggest area of need and one I would expect to be a focal point moving forward.

The bottom line, at least IMO is that signing Wilfork would really help them by spring up a need and allowing them to focus upon their interior OL and the CB situation. The fewer needs the better.

Last edited:
Believe at your own risk.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/02/ravens-brandon-williams-steps-up/

Perhaps flying under the radar as an early-down run stuffer, Baltimore Ravens nose tackle Brandon Williams has quietly put together an impressive season. The former third round pick out of Missouri Southern had been tipped by some as a potential breakout candidate in his second season. His+15.6 overall grade is tenth-best among all defensive tackles, and is the highest mark of all nose tackles, while his+16.7 run grade ranks fourth, behind only Marcell Dareus, Ndamukong Suh, and Damon Harrison. Williams has registered 29 stops in 274 run snaps, giving him a 10.6 Run Stop Percentage, which is good enough to rank fourth among defensive tackles.

Williams has also stepped up his form over the last four weeks in the absence of Haloti Ngata; his +5.8overall grade is third-best among tackles in that period. Williams has also proven more disruptive in the passing game. Over the first twelve games of the season Williams generated little in the way of pass rush, with eight total pressures for a 3.7 Pass Rushing Productivity (PRP). However with Ngata out of the lineup he generated seven total pressures in four games for a more impressive 6.6 PRP.

Of course - but if he still is a valuable run stuffer and isn't finding a market, I'll want him back. I'd be curious what others thought of his play this year.

The Patriots were dead last, the worst team in the NFL, in 2014 on power running downs: 3rd & 2, 4th & 2, or goal line from the 2 yard line. Worst team in the NFL in obvious power running downs.

Now, I don't presume to grade players. But, it's hard to believe that, if a team had one of the premier run-stuffers at NT, healthy for the entire year, playing 70% of the snaps, they would be so bad at stopping power running plays. You have to conclude that their d-line simply wasn't very good at stopping the run. And, you would have to question how well the team's "run stopper" really played? Maybe the run stopper played lights out and every one else stunk? I don't know?

I thought that even though he is a big body guy, he is still more of a penetrator than a space eater. He is more like an Haloti Ngata than a Vince Wilfork. I admit I don't know all that much about the guy, but that is my impression of him.
Williams is as pure of a 2-gapping run stuffing NT as you can get.

And, you would have to question how well the team's "run stopper" really played? Maybe the run stopper played lights out and every one else stunk? I don't know?

Agreed, it's certainly fair to question that. And I haven't been paying as much attention to individual performances the last couple of years, so I don't know the answer. I'd say if the Patriots don't show much interest in Vince with his market slowly drying up, then we'll have received our answer for sure. The team itself may have already decided he is not the player he once was, and decided to move on.

Williams is as pure of a 2-gapping run stuffing NT as you can get.

Maybe I am wrong. Haven't watched many Ravens games the past two years.

Does not follow.
Pats run stuffing was terrible. Word up (and I agree) is that the Pats need/intend to get faster and more pressure on the inside pass rush. Pick #1 or #2 goes to DT.

First it's a no from Houston, now the Colts. I'm beginning to feel sorry for Vince. It's somewhat humiliating to shop your services (publicly) and have everyone see you get turned down.
I agree. What we don't know is....

1) Did the Pats offer to renegotiate and he said no.
2) Did VW offer to renegotiate and they said no.
3) Because of how acrimonious it was last year, did neither side not even bother talk? No need to poke that bees nest again maybe.

I tend to think it went down like this...the team called VW and said that they won't pick up the option but will take him back at a reduced rate. They may/may not have discussed $. Vince thanked them and decided he would take his chances on the market. Pats took their deal off the table(if there even was one as they would ensure that they are not bidding vs themselves) and suggested that they keep the dialogue open- which is why we have not seen a release from the Pats thanking him for his service.

Somewhat embarrassing but the thought is that the only way he leaves NE is if the money is great. If its ok then he'd shop the offer to NE and have the opportunity to counter. That could be another reason why teams aren't putting their best foot forward.

He was still good, but not great, this year. There were more than a few running backs who had success running right up the gut at us.

I agree. What we don't know is....

1) Did the Pats offer to renegotiate and he said no.
2) Did VW offer to renegotiate and they said no.
3) Because of how acrimonious it was last year, did neither side not even bother talk? No need to poke that bees nest again maybe.

I tend to think it went down like this...the team called VW and said that they won't pick up the option but will take him back at a reduced rate. They may/may not have discussed $. Vince thanked them and decided he would take his chances on the market. Pats took their deal off the table(if there even was one as they would ensure that they are not bidding vs themselves) and suggested that they keep the dialogue open- which is why we have not seen a release from the Pats thanking him for his service.

Somewhat embarrassing but the thought is that the only way he leaves NE is if the money is great. If its ok then he'd shop the offer to NE and have the opportunity to counter. That could be another reason why teams aren't putting their best foot forward.
I believe your scenario is likely, with the added fact that Vince is one of those guys who wants his whole contract paid, even when everyone else understands that options or back-loaded contracts are not going to be fulfilled. He was too proud to renegotiate up front, and now is going through the pain of being rejected by other teams he thought might want him. I just hope he isn't too proud to renegotiate now, or that some team doesn't take a late-breaking flyer on him.

I believe your scenario is likely, with the added fact that Vince is one of those guys who wants his whole contract paid, even when everyone else understands that options or back-loaded contracts are not going to be fulfilled. He was too proud to renegotiate up front, and now is going through the pain of being rejected by other teams he thought might want him. I just hope he isn't too proud to renegotiate now, or that some team doesn't take a late-breaking flyer on him.

Yep. Younger DTs have received $4m/yr and teams might not be looking to do that same schedule for a soon-to-be 34 yr old DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back