PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zappe waived (Edit: so was Malik!)

Never got the Zappe hype from some posters on here. They wanted him to play over Mac for really no reason other than they don't like Mac and it would be a bad look on Bill benching his 1st round pick.

If they really tried to trade Zappe today and found no takers not even for a 7th rounder like Folk got… doesn’t say much for what the league thought of him. I wonder what they could have gotten after the Cleveland game last year when his value peaked?

A bit alarming Patricia got more out of Zappe than savior BOB.

season 6 GIF

Question: Which week this season will the Gillette crowd be fervently chanting the next #2's name?

Number 1 GIF by PragerU
Bored Number 2 GIF by Pudgy Penguins

If they really tried to trade Zappe today and found no takers not even for a 7th rounder like Folk got… doesn’t say much for what the league thought of him. I wonder what they could have gotten after the Cleveland game last year when his value peaked?
He'll definitely get picked up. He might as well book a flight to Vegas and drive straight to the Raiders' stadium, answer the expected call from the parking lot, run inside, and sign the contract.

Last edited:
I do find the Zappe news to be very surprising. After all, you would think that his familiarity with the team over the last season and current training camp would be worth a little more than any marginal performance benefit a 'soon to be replacement' would have.

Or was it really just about 'eliminating a distraction'? Mac no longer has to look over his shoulder. Furthermore, the rumor was that the relationship between the two was non-existent. Maybe this was to build a more cohesive quarterback room? That's the only thing I can think of.

Or is it one of those deals of 'well, if Mac goes down we might as well play for the #1 pick anyway"

He'll definitely get picked up. He might as well book a flight to Vegas and drive straight to the Raiders' stadium, answer the expected call from the parking lot, run inside, and sign the contract.
Titans? They’re Patriots Not Quite West.

Never got the Zappe hype from some posters on here. They wanted him to play over Mac for really no reason other than they don't like Mac and it would be a bad look on Bill benching his 1st round pick.

I can at least explain my perspective.

Mac comes across as a Bledsoe-type without the cannon for the arm. Someone who can get flustered even when they perceive the protection to be breaking down.

Now Zappe didn't have a cannon arm either, but he showed flashes of being 'comfortable' even when plays were breaking down. He seemed to have some PURDY qualities. Now I think the reality is that was more of a flash than reality, but at least what 'the buzz' was about.

That was sort of my thought too. Not from the perspective of "appeasing" Mac as if he complained about it, but maybe they sensed it impacted his play last year with Zappe breathing down his neck and calls for him to start if he faltered for a drive or two.

Personnel decisions on pro football teams are not run that way.

I do find the Zappe news to be very surprising. After all, you would think that his familiarity with the team over the last season and current training camp would be worth a little more than any marginal performance benefit a 'soon to be replacement' would have.

Or was it really just about 'eliminating a distraction'? Mac no longer has to look over his shoulder. Furthermore, the rumor was that the relationship between the two was non-existent. Maybe this was to build a more cohesive quarterback room? That's the only thing I can think of.

Or is it one of those deals of 'well, if Mac goes down we might as well play for the #1 pick anyway"
Or maybe Zappe isn't that good despite what some posters have said about him.

Were there reports to that effect?

I would bet it is about not wanting to expose any of the bubble WRs to waivers. Put Zappe out there because you know he won't get picked up and keep all the WRs on the 53 until the rules about stashing change with the start of the regular season

Brady’s coming back. Duh

opening day at gillette, loud speakers and 100 million dollar big screen pumping up the return of Tom Brady as a send off...

Only.... out of the tunnel emerges a fully uniformed Tom Brady, strapped up with black eye paint, all proper paperwork signed and official... AND DOMINATES THE EAGLES AS ONE FINAL SEND OFF TO ALL OF HIS BELOVED NEW ENGLANDERS 58-3

What a legend!

opening day at gillette, loud speakers and 100 million dollar big screen pumping up the return of Tom Brady as a send off...

Only.... out of the tunnel emerges a fully uniformed Tom Brady, strapped up with black eye paint, all proper paperwork signed and official... AND DOMINATES THE EAGLES AS ONE FINAL SEND OFF TO ALL OF HIS BELOVED NEW ENGLANDERS 58-3

What a legend!
Gotta admit that got me good.

Let this sink in. Coach B. was able to obtain more (7th round pick) for a 38 year old, 15 year veteran placekicker, who had himself retired for a year (2018) than he was able to get in trade for our second year backup QB! Of course that’s assuming Coach attempted to make a trade but then again perhaps he already realized what the real trade value was….

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back