PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 8: Patriots fall 31-17 to the Dolphins

Immediate Postgame Reactions
How t f do you get the ball back at your opponents 26 yard line with 1:40 left in the game and let them tie it?
Giants ran three times and didn’t pick up the first down, then the kicker missed a short FG, Wilson completed a couple long passes and kicked a FG. Looks like Barkley could’ve picked up a first but elected to slide down.

The sad thing this is one of the few games that Tua has actually played particularly well against the Patriots. Many of the games, the Pats beat themselves as much as the Dolphins beat them. That is on Belichick.
No question.

I said in the pregame thread a win would be great but i'd be (somewhat) content with seeing a smart, disciplined, hard-hitting football team that didn't hurt itself. Miami is a more talented team playing a home. A tall order even back in the dynasty years but even still....

Hard-hitting we saw (except for the missed tackles)
Disciplined? Nope
Smart? Nope
Did it hurt itself? Yep.

The only way you can measure Belichick's job performance is by wins, progress/improvement and talent on the roster.

Do people think he is performing well?

J E T S JETS JETS JETS!!!!

For as great as Miami looked today, they may look just as bad next week. That is not a great team. What they are able to do is beat the teams they should.

I thought that would be the 2023 Patriots. Beat lesser teams. Now, you have an average Washington team at best looking at the schedule and saying: "We have stunk. But New England is up next. We can get this turned around."
I think they are in the Super Bowl picture and without doubt certainly playoffs

I think I’ve said that a hundred times, bud. I predicted six wins this year (optimism).

But NE is getting screwed every week back two years, when they lost 2 games on ridiculously bad calls.

The refs today were horrible and one-sided.

But yes, the Pats still stink.
They lost because they are a bad team. How many times did bad teams that actually gave the Pats a hard time feel like they were getting screwed on bad calls? Good teams overcome this.

A poorly built team that has almost no stat players or game breakers
A poorly coached team that makes mistakes and then let’s those mistakes bite them

Sounds like a GM and coaching problem that needs to be resolved

I think I’ve said that a hundred times, bud. I predicted six wins this year (optimism).

But NE is getting screwed every week back two years, when they lost 2 games on ridiculously bad calls.

I think it goes back farther than two years, i started to notice it back around the mid teens. There was a game against the steelers where reffs took away two tds over phantam calls. That game decided home field advantage i think.

Did the Dolphins have any of their starters playing on the OL?

They lost because they are a bad team. How many times did bad teams that actually gave the Pats a hard time feel like they were getting screwed on bad calls? Good teams overcome this.
Exactly. When you never have an advantage, the questionable calls feel like they are just stacking the deck against you. When you are winning, they seem like a minor annoyance

The league hates New England. Every week. I can’t believe this game was close in the 4th…then I think back to the calls that hurt. DPI in the end zone, no call on blatant Miami holding, cheap call on Godchaux, awful no call on the Parker hit…

Just on and on, but even if the Pats got this calls, I have little doubt in the outcome. Mac Jones is a backup NFL QB.

Sign Onwenu. Sign Dugger if it’s not ridiculous. Any other player not on a rookie deal should be up for trade (and a couple on rookie deals).
Sure, make 15 trades, just like the other teams selling today by Tuesday at 4. BTW, how many trades do you think there will be. My guess is about 15 for the entire league.

We might make one trade. Oche and Thornton seem most likely.

Hint: it’s not the refs.

As bad as it looked, if Mac doesn't throw an int and we score before the half and Mac hits an open Bourne for a TD we are right there.

The good news is that the only “very good” teams left on the schedule are Buffalo and KC so 7-2 is possible, and a lot of the other AFC wild card contending teams also lost today. But hard to have faith that the Pats can go on such a run. Maybe if there was an in-season coach and QB change.

New England is one of the worst teams in the league this is 0% chance they go 7-2. Unfortunately they're not the worst team in the league and the probably end up winning five or six games at the absolute most.

The reality is it's not even November and their season is over.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back