PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23 PTP Board/Draft thoughts

The little video I have seen on Mapu is that he is a LB, Could possibly play inside LB too. Patriots announced him as a LB at the draft.

The little video I have seen on Mapu is that he is a LB, Could possibly play inside LB too. Patriots announced him as a LB at the draft.
Please list the last LB to make the 53
1) as an OLB weighing in at 217
2) an ILB weighing in at 217

Yes, Belichick plays chess, but Mapu looks like a potential starter that would start at SS.

Do you all really think that he is a potential future starter at ILB or OLB?

Anyone believe the rumor about NE liking Gibbs so much the Lions got jumpy? Lions war room exploded when they got him.

They exploded when they were maneuvering against themselves and chose him far earlier than any other team likely would have? I don’t doubt that the Pats liked/like him but I would have been shocked if they chose him at 14 or even 17.

Yes, Belichick plays chess, but Mapu looks like a potential starter that would start at SS.

Do you all really think that he is a potential future starter at ILB or OLB?

He wouldn’t be put on the field as a LB during obvious rushing downs but he absolutely could during passing downs, playing a Milano-type role. They also probably believe that his 6’3” frame will be able to handle more weight, under the guidance of NFL strength and nutrition programs. If he can add another 15-20 pounds, he is going to an absolute animal against the run.

Last edited:
That list spans thirty years and WWW was not a Patriots pick. You make my point ...
Jakobi wasn't a Patriots pick either... The point of Wes's not being an original UDFA signing is moot as the discussion is regarding "the potential of late-round or free agent wide receivers" per what you stated. Welker only had 3 starts in 3 years when the Pats picked him up, but that being said, he did already start to show promise with a 67rec 687yd season, so it's fair to retract him.

Plus, 30 years isn't really that much time. The list of 4 3 that I had put out had 36 30 years combined time on the Patriots, with TB80 at 15yrs and JE11 at 11. When the potential of a late round pick / UDFA may mean ~10 pretty good years, then I can be excused for excess optimism. Just need to hit on one every so often. That doesn't even include all the productive day 3 people on other teams like SDiggs, GKittle, MColston, or THill.

Also, imho, I know others may have a different stance on this, but that's the whole point of Beankies and the somewhat irrational excitement surrounding a potential underdog overcoming their selection (or lack thereof) on draft day.

Edit: Hah! And yes my last paragraph absolutely makes your point.

Last edited:
Yup. The average PatFans draft grade went from a C to a B because of two 6th round WRs.
Absolutely fantastic take.. till 5th round it was a C for me, because of mapu and drafting of 3 guards who are not even needed considering we have strange and Onwenu.

We wanted TE, OT and WR . We didn't get any till 6th round . So with Boutte and Douglas there seems to be some hope and light in the end of tunnel. We are hoping, for once lady luck shines on us and we find our Antonio brown ( on field player only not the persona) in Boutte or Douglas.

Besides we need our welker/Edelman clone and possibly Bourne is not that . So anybody in slot who has been drafted in 6tg round or below becomes the fan favorite , we get our hopes high using that history .

Yes Boutte and Douglas pushed my draft grades from C to B / B-

I strongly disagree.

Douglas is unlikely to be so good that we want him active every week.

I suppose that you would have Bourne cut or on the inactive roster.
==============
And Schuster is our slot receiver.
Schuster is not the slot receiver. Gesicki is. I wouldn't be surprised if we go with a 2 TE system like we had the last time O'Brien was here (Gronk and Hernandez).

Offense

Tackle is pretty thin up top but especially in the middle round imo, late isn't great either. This is definitely a group you need to do your homework on bc the talent just isn't there you need to coach up most of this class from day 1. Which isn't something you'd normally expect from a top 30-40 prospect.

Wright is the most NFL ready imo. Powerful, athletic, plays with attitude and supposedly has a little bit off the field too. Still he's a PTP that would plug and play with Onwenu. Those two would be destroying people on down blocks and in our power scheme.

Skoronski is a gem. That kid will be a great player for a long time. Some of the better feet and lateral quicks I've seen in the last 5-10 years. NFL rushers are freaks and he does let guys into his chest but his recovery is special. Still idk what position he'll play I'm a wanna be scout not coach so it's not up to me. If we didn't have Strange he would be a huge target and still might be if we're comfortably with his pass pro.

I love Harrison he's got a very good all around game but was in a RPO heavy scheme in college so there's little tape of him facing sets he'll see 60% of the time next level.

Dawand Jones is interesting bc of his size but doesn't have great recovery and has slow feet. Some of the heaviest hands in the class though and was a leader on that line.

Asim Richards and Wanya Morris are two that don't get talked about enough. Potential swing tackles. Wanya has the talent and everything you'd want but has to improve his hands and pad level. Richards is more consistent but the upside isn't there. Lacks recovery and has trouble against power rushers with inside moves.

Carter Warren and Warren McClendon are great guys in the locker room and Carter could provide some versatility kicking inside bc his feet are a tick slow. Great length but it doesn't save him enough.

Anthony Bradford is someone I think well look at hard. Will be a natural fit in a power/gap scheme.

Juice Scruggs is someone that just screams NEP too. Very smart heady prospect you can't fool with games up front or intimidate. Plus hands and ability to reach the 2nd level.

Bijan Robinson is a tremendous talent that would be perfect here. Natural running iz, duo, wind back. Ran a ton of that in college. Not so much a perfect OZ fit but he's perfect for what we like to do here. Needs work on pass pro but isn't bad. Can catch. He's going to be a great back.

Zach Evans is a monster and save Robinson could be the best back in the class but is a bit of a headache of the field. It'll be interesting to see how teams view him. Great talent but he's had multiple issues with the staff and outside of school in his private life that make him look impulsive and selfish. Love his game though.

Roschon Johnson is a great fit here for gap/power. Contact balance and burst are extremely important for backs and he's got both along with plus vision and power. Great pass pro. Can catch and shows promise there.

Tiyon Evans is another monster that plays with some nasty and fight. Another fit here for what we've normally done. Lots of promise in pp shows no fear and doesn't lack effort. Technique needs work but he's got a lot of promise.

I've mentioned Eric Gray a few times and I love his fit here. Natural gap runner. One of the better rec backs in the class and rr. Very comfortable running routes or hanging in flat for a dump off. Lots of promise in pp.

Will continue to update this thread. @Ian can merge if you want. Just wanted this out there.

2023 PTP Board not changing
BGC thanks again for putting this Patriots board together. Hitting on only three is unusually low for you.

can’t speak for daBruinz but speaking for myself I like Bolden over Speed as 5th CB.
Yeah, I agree. Speed passes the eye test spectacularly, but then flubs it over and over as a CB.

Unless the coaching can work miracles, and Georgia and Michigan State are pretty good, he’s even worse than Bryant in coverage. He just doesn’t get it.

BGC thanks again for putting this Patriots board together. Hitting on only three is unusually low for you.
Only two man, Gonzo and Sidy. And Gonzo was an easy one. I sucked this year, big time fail but again was super close to 4 with White and Andrews.

I'll get em back next year. 6/7 for Houston was ok though.

Maybe we're seeing the way the Pats look at prospects change? The fact you hit so many of Houston shows the methodology was correct based on history.

Maybe we're seeing the way the Pats look at prospects change? The fact you hit so many of Houston shows the methodology was correct based on history.
That’s what i’m thinking. Kraft made a big deal about how they were revamping their scouting process prior to the 2021 draft. Groh’s been the personnel guy behind Belichick since 2021. Caserio may be using the team’s old process.

Yeah, I agree. Speed passes the eye test spectacularly, but then flubs it over and over as a CB.

Unless the coaching can work miracles, and Georgia and Michigan State are pretty good, he’s even worse than Bryant in coverage. He just doesn’t get it.

Speed is strictly a Gunner or ST player. He is in the mold of Board more so than Slater.

Speed is strictly a Gunner or ST player. He is in the mold of Board more so than Slater.
So,, we should consider Speed as a competitor for one of the STO positions? Belichick usually has about 5.

I expect that SPEED will end up replacing one of these, or perhaps being STO #6.
SLATER
MITCHELL
BOARD
SCHOOLER
DAVIS

For me, an STO player is one who has no chance to make the 53, except for his ST play.

So,, we should consider Speed as a competitor for one of the STO positions? Belichick usually has about 5.

I expect that SPEED will end up replacing one of these, or perhaps being STO #6.
SLATER
MITCHELL
BOARD
SCHOOLER
DAVIS

For me, an STO player is one who has no chance to make the 53, except for his ST play.
As @State noted, Speed was at Georgia and was mostly a ST player. BB raved that Board's size and speed made him a great ST player. I have to assume that BB is thinking that Speed is a copy of Board. I have no idea if Bolden can replace Bryant or if he is strictly a ST player too.

He wouldn’t be put on the field as a LB during obvious rushing downs but he absolutely could during passing downs, playing a Milano-type role. They also probably believe that his 6’3” frame will be able to handle more weight, under the guidance of NFL strength and nutrition programs. If he can add another 15-20 pounds, he is going to an absolute animal against the run.
You know, i just read that Milano is 221lbs.

Milano is the real deal - I wanted the Pats to steal him before he re-signed with Buffalo. I'm shocked he's that light!

Absolutely fantastic take.. till 5th round it was a C for me, because of mapu and drafting of 3 guards who are not even needed considering we have strange and Onwenu.
They didn't draft 3 guards. Andrews is a Center. Sidy Sow played guard and tackle - and the Pats intend to try him at tackle.
My draft Grade - B - comes strictly from Gonzo, White, and the two kickers. the rest is gravy.

They didn't draft 3 guards. Andrews is a Center. Sidy Sow played guard and tackle - and the Pats intend to try him at tackle.
My draft Grade - B - comes strictly from Gonzo, White, and the two kickers. the rest is gravy.
Agree. Too lazy to type a center , should have stuck to IOL. If Sow becomes our OT starter that would be a win .

But agree with you . The first 2 picks and punter and returner are what I care. Reat all are bonus. I think the fact that we did not draft Darnell Washington and took Mapu riles most of us. Even as a project he was worth the 76 because we could have got essentially everyone else with our draft picks. maybe might not have picked mafi .

Agree. Too lazy to type a center , should have stuck to IOL. If Sow becomes our OT starter that would be a win .

But agree with you . The first 2 picks and punter and returner are what I care. Reat all are bonus. I think the fact that we did not draft Darnell Washington and took Mapu riles most of us. Even as a project he was worth the 76 because we could have got essentially everyone else with our draft picks. maybe might not have picked mafi .
I was pounding the table for Washington, too, but really, his production in college was kind of meh and the bigger issue are the knees. I have a bum knee - tore it apart in 1976. Never been the same.

I wish they ha found a good blocking TE, though, him or someone else.

We've had 250-265 lb guys that consistently prove too slow in the modern NFL. They can't cover fast RBs, TEs and mobile QBs.

I suspect Bill is going to move to make the big nickel the new base defense, so really a hybrid LB/safety. Mapu will be great spying all the mobile QBs we see - his tape makes him look like a heat-seeking missile chasing QBs that bootleg. How he fits in with Dugger I'm not sure. But that's a lot of hard-hitting athleticism with them both on the field.

We've had 250-265 lb guys that consistently prove too slow in the modern NFL. They can't cover fast RBs, TEs and mobile QBs.

I suspect Bill is going to move to make the big nickel the new base defense, so really a hybrid LB/safety. Mapu will be great spying all the mobile QBs we see - his tape makes him look like a heat-seeking missile chasing QBs that bootleg. How he fits in with Dugger I'm not sure. But that's a lot of hard-hitting athleticism with them both on the field.

And just on cue, Lazar provides film to back up this point:

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes