PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3/13 Updated!!! Sign[ed] the Beast XXXV: Buffalo Bills release TE Scott Chandler

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he's a very solid TE, and a very good blocker as previously mentioned.

With the RB depth we have, and probably 2 of 5 top half draft picks going to be OG's, this may become one helluva 'ground and pound" offense.

Perfect way to combat the Jets' strategy of overloading their secondary.

Just another example of BB playing chess when others are playing checkers. :D

(and no, I'm not worried about Suh in Miami - - he of the 39.5 points against average facing Brady).

Good pickup in my opinion, he will provide quality depth behind Gronkowski and allow us to run a much more effective 2 TE set than we did with Hooman.

6'7 and 260 lbs. Damn, I knew he was a big dude, but that's impressive.

Imagine lining up Gronk, Wright, Chandler, and Lafell in the Red Zone at the goal line...

Gronk
Chandler
LaFell
Edelman
3rd down back

Then you have to account for three big guys and two shifty guys. Good luck with a defensive personnel that makes that stop often.

Manning used the Thomas sisters as big red zone threats and then dumped it off to Welker for easy TDs for a lot of the the first half of 2013.

I am guessing Hooman. He saves more cap space. Chandler is more like him (blocker as well as a receiver). And I think they will try to give Wright the offseason to find a place in the offense.

I still have a pipe dream that they can convert Wright to WR. Certainly doesn't have straight-line speed but as 4th option in the red zone or matched up vs smaller DBs he's a good sized target in the middle of the field. Plus he'd be another layer of depth at TE and the hybrid role...

If you put any stock in his combine measurable, he graded out almost the same as Boldin.

Nice compliment to Gonk

YESSS, if only we had made this move last season we would have a better shot at the superb...wait

Hooman is gone, thanks for the services, go cash some money somewhere else, Wright is in a rookie contract, worth keeping.

I like this move because Chandler looks like he could actually replace Gronk along with complement him. It goes without saying he wouldn't replace his production level, but he at least is a big guy who can block and pass catch. First TE2 we've had that can do both in a long, long time.

Excellent.

Let Hooman walk and keep Wright. Wright is good Dobson insurance if the tall one doesn't get healthy.

Plus Wright is super cheap to the cap.

This, Wright costs nothing, basically.

I also find it funny hearing the "lets convert Wright to WR", guys he is a WR, Tampa attempted to convert him to TE, not the other way around.

At 230-240lbs Wright never finished that conversion and probably never will. He's a big bodied WR for us who has shined in goal line passing.

Let Hooman walk and keep Wright. Wright is good Dobson insurance if the tall one doesn't get healthy.

Plus Wright is super cheap to the cap.

Trade Wright to the Saints as a Jimmy Graham replacement (I'm not comparing them).

LOVE this signing, I think he was a FA last year too, and I really wanted him. He's a poor man's Gronk, and we've never had TWO Gronk types. 6'7", another BIG red zone targt for Brady.

I still have a pipe dream that they can convert Wright to WR. Certainly doesn't have straight-line speed but as 4th option in the red zone or matched up vs smaller DBs he's a good sized target in the middle of the field. Plus he'd be another layer of depth at TE and the hybrid role...

If you put any stock in his combine measurable, he graded out almost the same as Boldin.

I could be very happy with a WR set of Edelman, Lafell, Amendola, Dobson and Wright. If Gibson can beat out Dobson in TC, the job is his.

Supplemented with a TE duo of Gronk and Chandler.

What is great about Wright is that he can give the Pats roster flexibility to save a spot in that he could play either WR or TE. For $585,000 that's a steal.

Gronk
Chandler
LaFell
Edelman
3rd down back

Then you have to account for three big guys and two shifty guys. Good luck with a defensive personnel that makes that stop often.

Manning used the Thomas sisters as big red zone threats and then dumped it off to Welker for easy TDs for a lot of the the first half of 2013.

The beauty of this offense is that unlike the 2013 Denver Broncos, who were incredibly soft and fairly easy to shut down by physical defenses, this NE offense is both mentally and physically tough as we saw last season. Chandler just adds to that.

This will be an incredibly tough offense to stop, and it is very well suited for excelling in the postseason.

Good injury insurance for Gronk. It'll be interesting to see what formations the Pats draw up to get both of them on the field. I'd think that in a more standard 12 formation, Wright would be the TE2, but maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
Back