PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick (via Howe) also claims be didn’t want to draft Mac Jones

They took Barmore in the second, I’m almost positive Bull would have taken him in the first anyway because he’s awful at drafting, probably got Jones for free

Hoyer would have hated that. His modus operandi was to not to play so people didn't realize how much he sucked so he could continue collecting a player's paycheck (rather than a coach's) as long as possible. He even admitted his wife wanted him "coaching" in a uniform rather than retiring for the money.

How many years did that guy collect his salary here and couldn't even win one game he started.
The dude started 2 games total over 11 seasons (Cam Covid vs Chiefs and Instant Concussion vs GB). $9.6 mil over that time ain't bad.

Belichick was 100% spot on in his assessment.

I'll go farther: for BB to have this stance, he got some bad intel from Saban about Mac's mental makeup.

There were so many instances when Mac's leadership could be questioned, and that had little to do with his inabilities and skills on the field.

If Belichick got intel from Saban not to draft Mac Jones because of his mental make up and Belichick still drafted him at 15 to be more collaborative with his staff, all I can say is thank God Belichick is gone and not in charge of the #3 overall pick this year. If Belichick knew there was a major red flag on the guy that the Pats were going to put the franchise in his hands for the next three plus years and still drafted him at 15 to be a team player, it is a fireable offense.

I don‘t know how you are arguing that Belichick got inside info on Jones that said he was a major risk and still drafted him as a defense for Belichick.

Nobody forced BB to pick Jones. It was 100% his call, he was the GM. The pick itself was fine when it was made. Nobody knew Jones wouldn't work out. He's not the first 1st-round QB that flamed out. Happens all the time in the league.

Feels weird saying "was" when it comes to BB coaching and being the GM.

I said in the other thread. After Brady left, it came out that Belichick didn’t want Mohammed Sanu and he traded for him because Brady wanted him.

If Belichick got intel from Saban not to draft Mac Jones because of his mental make up and Belichick still drafted him at 15 to be more collaborative with his staff, all I can say is thank God Belichick is gone and not in charge of the #3 overall pick this year. If Belichick knew there was a major red flag on the guy that the Pats were going to put the franchise in his hands for the next three plus years and still drafted him at 15 to be a team player, it is a fireable offense.

I don‘t know how you are arguing that Belichick got inside info on Jones that said he was a major risk and still drafted him as a defense for Belichick.
Yes, I don't think I'm being consistent here, but you can bet he talked to Saban. So then why didn't he want him?

We don't really know the weight of it. Mac Jones had been mocked to #3 in many drafts. No one had him falling to 15. They all said we had to trade up.

So here's Belichick saying, this guy isn't a first rounder. And the rest of the football world says not only is he a 1st rounder, he's a top talent!

How strongly did Belichick feel about it?

Maybe not strongly enough to overrule the football world including his own people.

You're going to put Kraft's dictate that Bill not overrule his football people on Bill?

Yes, I don't think I'm being consistent here, but you can bet he talked to Saban. So then why didn't he want him?

We don't really know the weight of it. Mac Jones had been mocked to #3 in many drafts. No one had him falling to 15. They all said we had to trade up.

So here's Belichick saying, this guy isn't a first rounder. And the rest of the football world says not only is he a 1st rounder, he's a top talent!

How strongly did Belichick feel about it?

Maybe not strongly enough to overrule the football world including his own people.

You're going to put Kraft's dictate that Bill not overrule his football people on Bill?

My guess is Belichick didn’t see much difference between a first round QB in that draft and Davis Mills. That is why I think he didn’t want to draft Jones if the story is true. He wouldn‘t have wanted to draft a QB in the first if he felt he could get a similar QB in the second or third.

And if Belichick didn’t feel strong enough to overrule his staff, it is still on him. And the information that Saban may have to Belichick about Jones must not have been that bad if it was bad at all.

But now you are blaming Kraft for forcing him to take Jones. Yet no one is reporting that. You are assuming a lot here.

My guess is Belichick didn’t see much difference between a first round QB in that draft and Davis Mills. That is why I think he didn’t want to draft Jones if the story is true. He wouldn‘t have wanted to draft a QB in the first if he felt he could get a similar QB in the second or third.

And if Belichick didn’t feel strong enough to overrule his staff, it is still on him. And the information that Saban may have to Belichick about Jones must not have been that bad if it was bad at all.

But now you are blaming Kraft for forcing him to take Jones. Yet no one is reporting that. You are assuming a lot here.
2020 Kraft publicly said they were changing their draft selection process so that Bill didn't overrule scouts. The article linked even says the 2021 draft was the first time they told Belichick not to overrule the scouts. Here we are drafting a QB, and you knew Kraft wanted a QB as the new face of the franchise, how strongly do you think he's going to fight, at that point?

Wouldn’t you know it? It seems Bill was responsible for every good decision, and not responsible for every failure. Spinjob Belichick continues his campaign, ongoing since 2017.

OIG..BeO0MIf2wBvZYsWAara.jpeg

2020 Kraft publicly said they were changing their draft selection process so that Bill didn't overrule scouts. The article linked even says the 2021 draft was the first time they told Belichick not to overrule the scouts. Here we are drafting a QB, and you knew Kraft wanted a QB as the new face of the franchise, how strongly do you think he's going to fight, at that point?

Kraft never said that they changed the draft selection so Belichick couldn’t over rule the scouts. He just said they were changing how they make selections with no details.

And I don’t have a The Athletic subscription, but based on the quote below it wasn’t that Belichick was against drafting Jones, but he felt the Pats could get a quality starter from Davis Mills in the third.

1705269764221.png

Picking Davis mills at 15 isn’t the flex most fans want it to be

• Nailed It!
Reactions: sb1
Belichick was 100% spot on in his assessment.

I'll go farther: for BB to have this stance, he got some bad intel from Saban about Mac's mental makeup.

There were so many instances when Mac's leadership could be questioned, and that had little to do with his inabilities and skills on the field.
Hell yea, with Davis Mills we would've been in the SB in '21. Good call Belichick, the QB whisperer.

Picking Davis mills at 15 isn’t the flex most fans want it to be
That pick would make Cole Strange look like a steal where he was drafted in comparison.

Hell yea, with Davis Mills we would've been in the SB in '21. Good call Belichick, the QB whisperer.

The article says he wanted to pick Davis mills at 15.

Not sure how that’s an I told you so

Got rid of Brady with no plan in place. Biggest mistake of Belichick’s career.
That's because Belichick can win with an average QB, as his stellar record shows. Oh, wait.

So the most trusted quarterback evaluator in professional football at the time just happened to defer to lesser minds on the most consequential draft pick of his lifetime? Sure dude. He just happened to pick his college coach buddy’s player as usual, but it was everyone else’s fault they picked Jones.
I totally believe this story. Belichick knew Davis Mills would become the next Tom Brady. He also picked Zappe, who will also be the next Tom Brady.

Kraft never said that they changed the draft selection so Belichick couldn’t over rule the scouts. He just said they were changing how they make selections with no details.

And I don’t have a The Athletic subscription, but based on the quote below it wasn’t that Belichick was against drafting Jones, but he felt the Pats could get a quality starter from Davis Mills in the third.

View attachment 55909
The article is just unclear about a few things. It contradicts itself. It says Belichick wanted to wait to draft a QB (2nd rd.?), but it also says he was dead set on taking a QB in the 1st rd.

If you ask me, that's a copy editing error and it should read, "Belichick was dead set against..."

Krafts wanted Mac. "The face of the franchise." Howe has confirmed this with a source other than Belichick.
Upstutter1, the #1 forum liar, says any article that is positive to Belichick is completely accurate, and their "sources" are unimpeachable. Anything negative though, is complete nonsense with questionable sources. Hmm, sounds really objective. Lol

Seeing the Packers kill the Cowboys who Jordan Love and rookie WR and young draftees like the TE and RB make me question most Patriots offensive draft decisions in the past 20 years.

I'd trade Mac straight up for Mills right now

Hell, throw them Zappe also

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents