PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Press Conference 7:30am (1/8/24)

If, as it now appears possible, Bill stays, does he get an extension? I mean, both sides can play the contract game.

For all the folks worried that BB is too much of a hard-ass, not a player's coach, not player friendly, etc ... Vrabel is all those things and then some. Dude is a bonafide *******, ****head.

How's that going to work? OC by committee?
Similar to how Al Groh was defensive coordinator in 1996 while Belichick was DB coach / assistant head coach. One example could be this: Josh is the QB coach and assistant head coach spending a ton of time focusing on the new rookie (or whoever else is brought in) and assists with BoB in developing the offensive game plan, with BoB doing the initial development and Josh fine tuning it with him. Josh also works with the other position coaches. BoB being responsible for the game plan development, finalizing with Josh, and actually calling the plays on game day.

But that of course is what they’d be working out as part of bringing him on board if it does happen.

The head coach / GM who helped lead the team I support to six (6) Super Bowl victories over the course of two decades might continue to lead the team. Oh, the horror.

Allow me to express my tremendous sympathy and compassion for your distress; it must be really hard to consider facing such a troubling, unfair outcome.

This is so wrong... Brady negotiated that last contract and he insisted that it terminated at season's end without any ability to tag him guaranteeing him free agency. It also resulted in a $25 Million dead cap hit, which also meant that if the Pats wanted to re-sign him for $25 Million, they would still be on the hook for $50 Million, which would have prevented them from signing many of free agents they got that year.

Brady wanted to leave and made it financially impossible for the Patriots to stop him. When he also added that they couldn't tag him, it is obvious that he wanted this.
This is wrong on so many levels it is pure fiction.

If, as it now appears possible, Bill stays, does he get an extension? I mean, both sides can play the contract game.
I would think they would want to avoid a lame duck year but I also can't imagine putting yourself on the hook for another 25 mil. I think a team option or mutual option might make sense.

How can we say there was no doubt he would take that deal when Brady showed up on Ross's yacht prior to the 2019 season with the intention of moving on to the Dolphins (when he was still under contract to the Patriots)? Clearly Brady had intentions to leave before any of the contract squabbles later on.

I mean, what else would you make of that news about Brady?

Here's the amazing thing: no one has ever asked Brady what was he doing on that yacht? It's almost like the whole incident was swept under the rug. Including by the NFL. The Phins lost a draft pick -- BUT the Patriots didn't GET a draft pick despite being hurt by the Phins.
You got your timing wrong. This has been rehashed so many times.

1) in summer of 2019, Brady asked for a 2 year $50MM contract. Org said no and wanted to go year to year. That is when Brady skipped non mandatory and was unhappy in his camp interviews. There was noise he may even hold out.

2) Brady got tired of dealing with his contract yearly and basically have to beg for an extension. Since the organization said no to 2 years, he asked to make the 2019 year the last one with no franchise tag. To appease him and make sure he plays, he even got $3MM increase to take it from $20 to $23 (while QBs half as good were getting paid in 30s lol).

3) All sides at this point knew Brady was not coming back. How you say? Kraft and Pats started a PR campaign of Brady deserved to decide his fate and they were ok with it. Kraft gave plenty of interviews to that effect. No NFL organization ever says that or gives up tag rights on a QB unless they did not want them. Brady of course also saw the writing on the wall and the Miami flirting started

4) When free agency started in 2020, nobody (not Kraft, not Bill or anyone else) reached out to him or offered a contract. Who can say with a straight face that an organization that does not offer their starting QB a contract in free agency means they want him?

5) Brady reaches a contract with Bucs. He tells Kraft and then Kraft offers to match it purely for PR so that he can say he offered it.

If the plan is to trade bb for picks, do we have to wait until the new league year to do this or can it be done now?

You got your timing wrong. This has been rehashed so many times.

1) in summer of 2019, Brady asked for a 2 year $50MM contract. Org said no and wanted to go year to year. That is when Brady skipped non mandatory and was unhappy in his camp interviews. There was noise he may even hold out.

2) Brady got tired of dealing with his contract yearly and basically have to beg for an extension. Since the organization said no to 2 years, he asked to make the 2019 year the last one with no franchise tag. To appease him and make sure he plays, he even got $3MM increase to take it from $20 to $23 (while QBs half as good were getting paid in 30s lol).

3) All sides at this point knew Brady was not coming back. How you say? Kraft and Pats started a PR campaign of Brady deserved to decide his fate and they were ok with it. Kraft gave plenty of interviews to that effect. No NFL organization ever says that or gives up tag rights on a QB unless they did not want them. Brady of course also saw the writing on the wall and the Miami flirting started

4) When free agency started in 2020, nobody (not Kraft, not Bill or anyone else) reached out to him or offered a contract. Who can say with a straight face that an organization that does not offer their starting QB a contract in free agency means they want him?

5) Brady reaches a contract with Bucs. He tells Kraft and then Kraft offers to match it purely for PR so that he can say he offered it.
My timing isn't wrong.

When it comes to contract negotiations, I was referring to the 2020 contract negotiations.

Two more things: the post I directly responded to said Brady would have signed in 2020, so we were talking about 2020. The post even said it was in question until Brady showed up at Kraft's house. So that was clearly 2020.

Secondly, the move to show up on Ross's boat is still incredibly poor from Brady, and never addressed.

If the plan is to trade bb for picks, do we have to wait until the new league year to do this or can it be done now?
The new year is on March 14th, so no team is waiting to sign a coach in March

So a trade before march 14 is not possible? Wasnt sure how it worked with coaches
It's not a trade though. Belichick can't be traded to anyone (i.e. he doesn't have to go to any team he doesn't want to go to). It's just a release another team pays for his contract.

It can happen now. It’s unfortunate that the same word “trade” is used for both players and coaches, when they’re really vastly different processes.

It can happen now. It’s unfortunate that the same word “trade” is used for both players and coaches, when they’re really vastly different processes.

Gotcha, i just hear trade mentioned alot with bb and tomlin this year. So its more like an agreement between the 3 parties (2 teams and coach) sounds like

My timing isn't wrong.

When it comes to contract negotiations, I was referring to the 2020 contract negotiations.

Two more things: the post I directly responded to said Brady would have signed in 2020, so we were talking about 2020. The post even said it was in question until Brady showed up at Kraft's house. So that was clearly 2020.

Secondly, the move to show up on Ross's boat is still incredibly poor from Brady, and never addressed.
There was never contract negotiations in 2020. Brady was never contacted to discuss one. Once Brady told Kraft he signed with Bucs, Kraft offered to match it. That is not a negotiation. That is a PR move so he can say he offered a matching contract.

How do you even do a coach trade? Need to comply with Rooney rule
Its too complicated

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3