PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great deal or a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsGirl5

Rookie
Reaction score
My dad wants to go to the Superbowl this year, and he found this site online that's offering Pats tickets for under $2500. I haven't had much time to do research, so I was hoping someone could help us out. The site is yoonew.com, and I'm worried that my dad is going to get ripped off. Sometime he gets too excited for his own good. Has anyone heard of this site, or used it? Thanks for the help!

My dad wants to go to the Superbowl this year, and he found this site online that's offering Pats tickets for under $2500. I haven't had much time to do research, so I was hoping someone could help us out. The site is yoonew.com, and I'm worried that my dad is going to get ripped off. Sometime he gets too excited for his own good. Has anyone heard of this site, or used it? Thanks for the help!

Best bet is to do some research on the company. Usually, if its too good to be true, it is. That being said, SB tickets go for high prices because the demand far exceeds the supply. But I know my brother got tix in Houston for about $1500 each.

Also, make sure that whatever CC he uses has fraud protection.

Last edited:
I've never heard of that site, so I really can't comment. I have done some initial research however on ticket prices and it seems the cheapest you can get find (for the worst seats in the house) are about $3000. If you check out some of the "travel packages" you'll find the cheapest deals are about $4900 per person. And I did some quick Expedia searches and the cheapest flights/hotel/cars are about $2000 per person.

So having said all that, I think $2500 seems a bit low for a ticket. No matter what it's going to cost someone about $5000 for a trip to AZ with a ticket. Now, if your a season ticket holder and win the lottery you'll only have to pay face value on the ticket (my guess about $500-700) plus the $2000 to get and stay there.

I heard of that site before. I don't think they actually sell tickets. You bid on the right to buy tickets at face value. I suspect the 1500 is for the right to buy. Then you have to cough up the $$ for the tickets.

The tickets that I won thru the NFL lottery and am raffeling numbers off for are $700 face value.

should you dad save his money during his retirement years.? he can watch it at home or goes to a sport bar.

Old people complain about the cost of medication while buying new cars and spending $$$$ to go to SB.?

what is wrong with these people.?

Stop generalizing, and you don't know exactly how old her father actually is.

should you dad save his money during his retirement years.? he can watch it at home or goes to a sport bar.

Old people complain about the cost of medication while buying new cars and spending $$$$ to go to SB.?

what is wrong with these people.?

Ok that is really a stupid comment. Really "old people complain about the cost of medication while buying new cars". Careful with that brush fella you just painted yourself as ignorant.

The only way tickets will come down to a reasonable level will be if it is SD vs Giants. A Pats vs Packers SB will set records for ticket prices, because of the teams involved and their fans along with the possibility of a undefeated season and history.

Check out Pathers raffle. He won tickets throught the NFL and he has the info on in benefiting ACS in his area.

Took me a year to pay completely pay off my Houston SB ticket and trip....was worth it though I wouldn't do it again (once is enough). I will try Panthers raffle and I live here in the Valley so if I win great, if not I have 70 people coming over for a SB party anyways.

Good luck to your Dad though I doubt anything will be in the reasonable range here. THere are still some vacnceys here in the Valley for hotels (Mainly Mesa and Tempe from what I heard but that will change this week as the teams get set.)

and you know how old her father is.???

If her father age between 30-50, i hope he still has his job in the next few months. Otherwise, you will see him in the unemployment office and he is going to have NOTHING for his retirement.

if her father age between 51-80, i hope he receives a good SS check or retirement check. If he is going to btching about the cost of medication and other things, he needs to be reminded about his huge expenses.

Her father will have a chance to see the SB game but he apparently does NOT see his 'future' down the ROAD.

ask me if I CARE.

Did I say I knew how old he was? Nope, just that you shouldn't automatically assume he's an old man. Also, you haven't a clue what this guy's finantial status happens to be, so the above job, retirement, SS, and medication related comments are absurd.

If her father age between 30-50, i hope he still has his job in the next few months. Otherwise, you will see him in the unemployment office and he is going to have NOTHING for his retirement.

if her father age between 51-80, i hope he receives a good SS check or retirement check. If he is going to btching about the cost of medication and other things, he needs to be reminded about his huge expenses.

Her father will have a chance to see the SB game but he apparently does NOT see his 'future' down the ROAD.

ask me if I CARE.

My Grandfather is a multimillionaire....I know several well to do "old people". You are truely an ignorant person. Don't put your financial insecurities on everyone else. You need to re-read your post you can't be this stupid can you?

Um, ok, that went places I wasn't expecting. My dad might get unreasonable about good looking deals, but he isn't careless with his money. He'll only buy the tickets if he can afford them, and let's just say he will have no trouble with that. At all.

I just wasn't sure about the site, and whether or not the deal was too good to be true. I finally googled yoonew, and found this forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/2005/12/21/yoonew-ticketmaster-tickets-cx_bn_1222yoonew.html
(Sorry, I don't know how to link.) It looks legit to me, but I don't know much about it. Can anyone help? Without worrying about whether Dad can afford his meds?

Um, ok, that went places I wasn't expecting. My dad might get unreasonable about good looking deals, but he isn't careless with his money. He'll only buy the tickets if he can afford them, and let's just say he will have no trouble with that. At all.

I just wasn't sure about the site, and whether or not the deal was too good to be true. I finally googled yoonew, and found this forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/2005/12/21/yoonew-ticketmaster-tickets-cx_bn_1222yoonew.html
(Sorry, I don't know how to link.) It looks legit to me, but I don't know much about it. Can anyone help? Without worrying about whether Dad can afford his meds?

I took a quick look at it and figured out I have no idea what they are trying to do on that site. It is almost like it is another way of buying and selling tickets w/ a bid/ask price. Sorry about not being able to help out.

ask me if I CARE.

You do realize that the vast majority of wealth in this country is held by people over the age of 50....Last I heard they had the free will to spend their money (and their kids' inheritances) as they see fit. I wouldn't presume to know anyone's situation nor tell them what to do...

forgive my ignorant BUT Have you noticed that old folks are driving new cars.?

WHAT??? There not new cars. Thier new CORVETTES! Good luck to em!
:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Nicely back on the topic. I've gone to the Superbowl it was in Houston, I paid $1500 cash for a ticket. I got that ticket a couple days before the game. I felt like I lucked out because the Patriots were so heavily favored it was easier to get tickets.

I have started my ticket search for this year's game and-as it typically is- prices are VERY high still. A ticket right now will probably cost $3K right.
I am familiar with yoonew although I haven't used it yet. When I went to their website the cheapest ticket currently is at $2.9K so I'm not sure how it is working out for $2.5K for him. Keep in mind these prices are going to continue to fluctuate up until the actual game date but I do believe it's a legitimate source of tickets.

DGP

Yoonew or whatever it's called is the less established of these sites.

The more established is ticketreserve.com. It's actually a brilliant idea. The owners of the site essentially make a market for "options" to buy tickets. That is, you purchase the right to buy a ticket from them for face value if your team makes the super bowl. (They do it for other events too, and apparently are highly reputable.) If your team doesn't make it, you lose your money.

So, what they do is pick a number of tickets they will be responsible for getting at the end of the year. Say, 100. Then they open up the market. The market for Super Bowl 42 opened last year right about this time of year. Patriots options sold for $150 or so. Chargers and Colts were about the same.

The sell 50 for each team. This guarantees that they will only need to come up with 100 tickets at the end to fulfill options. They collect all the money for the options. Those who own the options also can buy and sell them, and the company takes a commission.

Just to give an example, last year during the AFCCG, you could buy an option for Colts for about $50 when they were losing 21-0. Would have paid off big time.

Right now, options for the Patriots are selling for about $1700. Options for the Chargers are selling for about $400. This makes it a bit silly if you're a patriots fan. You pay $1700 for the right to buy a ticket for face value if the Patriots win -- so about $2400 total. For only a few hundred dollars more, you could just buy tickets outright and not risk losing the $1700. The NFC is more interesting -- a Giants option costs about $600. Not a bad risk if you're a Giants fan who only plans to go to the game if the Giants win.

Last edited:
The Yoonew model assumes that they can accurately price thier options contracts - that the money they collect from all of the contract buyers will be sufficient for them to fund the premuim over face value they will have to pay to purchase the tickets needed to honor those contracts and that they can in fact buy those tickets.

The cost of tickets to them will depend on the teams involved. I would guess that tickets will end up being a good bit more expensive than the firm assumed at the beginning of the season.

The more established is ticketreserve.com. It's actually a brilliant idea. The owners of the site essentially make a market for "options" to buy tickets. That is, you purchase the right to buy a ticket from them for face value if your team makes the super bowl.

Ok, exploring the yoonew.com site more in depth, it looks kind of like Ticket Reserve, but instead of just buying the option to buy tickets at face value, you bid on a "contract", which becomes a ticket if your team wins. And I see where my dad got that price- there are some Pats contracts being sold for a little more than 2.4K. They say you don't have to pay anything more for the eventual ticket if your team wins. For the Pats it seems to come out even, but the Giants and Packers contracts are going for 1K and 2.2K respectively. I think, in theory, I could have gotten a great deal, like, months ago if I'd gotten Pats contracts then. A month ago it was 1.4K, and I'd basically be guaranteed a ticket. Do I have any of this wrong? Thanks, guys, for your help again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents