PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I still think that the 2011 draft sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of us were dissapointed after the 2011 draft, and oddly enough, we were right. The draft was not a disaster, but the Patriots came into it with a ton of picks and a desperate need for a pass rushers but came away with a lot less than most of us expected. The strength of the draft was the pass rushers but somehow BB whiffed on them all.

Compare the Patriots draft with what the Ravens did. With practically half the draft ammunition, the Ravens came away with a starting CB in Jimmy Smith and a very talented WR in Torrey Smith. In addition they got six sacks from Pernell McPhee who they stole in the 5'th round. The Patriots needed a WR, CB, and pass rusher; they could have gotten all these guys but BB was whiffed.

Solder was good as befits his lofty position at 17. Although he is a moose, he had trouble with speed rushers.

Dowling has talent but came in with an injury history which does not work well with the hard surface at Gillette. He may turn out to be a great picks but it is still too early to tell. If McCourty returns to form and Ras-I can shake the injury bug, the Patriots will have found their outside anchors.

Shane Vereen was the Big Whiff. Instead of taking Torry Smith they took Vereen, an indecisive runner. BB should never ever be involved with WR and RB picks again; he got it right with Ridley but that is unusual for him.

No news here, you think every draft sucks and that Belichik can't draft, despite the fact that they drafted better than any team in football under Belichik. Reality doesn't enter the equation for you, just never ending negativity.

Can we just post a sticky thread that Fred DW Dartmouth Toys hates the patriots draft and leave it at that?

Compare the Patriots draft with what the Ravens did. With practically half the draft ammunition, the Ravens came away with a starting CB in Jimmy Smith and a very talented WR in Torrey Smith. In addition they got six sacks from Pernell McPhee who they stole in the 5'th round. The Patriots needed a WR, CB, and pass rusher; they could have gotten all these guys but BB was whiffed.

Two years ago the Ravens badly needed to draft a TE or two. They selected Ed ****son and Dennis Pitta. :bricks:

After they missed out on Gronk they took Sergio "fell down the stairs" Kindle with the next pick. :bricks:

Do you think the Pats should have picked a CB with multiple failed drug tests and two alcohol related arrests? Many teams took him off their board.

it will be interesting to see what happens in the draft now that the Pats know exactly what each pick will cost, and that number is reasonable now. Well more reasonable than $50 million+

Have to mostly agree. His trading down stuff have been a mixed bag. He loves to coach up these fourth and fifth rounders. I am sorry, wouldn't an actual first round talent be easier on the mental anguish with less to teach? Is the theory if we draft four fifth rounders, one will come to the surface we hope? It has not worked.
You're making a good point but it's going to be lost with these type of exaggerations.

2010 was an apparition for the choices and how they have turned out for the Pats in general over the last five years. 17% is the success rate of a total NFL draft class. But the higher the choice, the more likely over that 17% success rate.
Why should anyone care about the success rate percentage? The goal is to have X number of productive players, not X percentage of productive players.

It think the Pats Draft Day team outsmarts itself. "BB, Let's trade down....Ol' so and so will be there.!....Opps he's not!...Let's trade out to some cool guys in the fourth round and get another for the next year so we can trade out there as well."
Again, your otherwise valid point is being lost with unsubstantiated speculation.

No one will admit in the organization that they made some boo boos.... but some Koolaiders here will say that was well planned. Not buying.
I think (or hope) that 99.99% would agree that the Patriots have made mistakes and missed on some draft picks. The debate is (or should be) where they stand in relation to the 31 other teams in their player evaluation on this topic.

They are mediocre, right in the middle, not the worst and certainly not the best as far as talent evaluators in the NFL Draft over that last five or six years although they have had the potential with the higher picks that they had, to have a better Team. Who can deny this?
Without some detailed statistical analysis of all 32 teams over a long enough period of time to have a decent sample size it's impossible to objectively agree or disagree with that statement.

It's like BB trading with the Eagles every year.
Minor point, but I guess this is one of those statements that gets repeated so often it ends up being accepted as fact. They're probably more likely to be involved in a trade with the Saints, Texans, Raiders, Ravens or Packers. Other than the Greg Lewis trade and last year's trade that ended up becoming Markell Carter, where were those trades with the Eagles in the previous ten years?

Perhaps "Trading down is intriguing and let's see how it comes out" is the battle cry. He does not give a rats annal pore whether the "experts" think he was wise or not Draft day, not certainly us as fans. He has success and that taints this evaluation process, but if you look at it, BB is better at picking up experienced player trades and FAs who have made more of a difference to his yearly success. His Drafts are....mediocre.
There are hits and misses in both free agency as well as the draft. Where's the data to support the statement that FA evaluation is better than the draft? Where's the data to compare with 31 other teams that one can draw the 'mediocre' conclusion?

I would think that a more likely line of thinking is that the draft is a crapshoot, and therefore ten picks is better than seven, and seven picks is better than three. Will that result in more misses? Yes, of course it will! So what, why should anyone care? The object is to find the most number of hits.

If one team trades down (resulting in ten picks), and ends up with one elite player, three solid productive players, and six busts, did they have a worse draft than the team that trades up (resulting in three picks), and ends up with one elite player, one solid productive player and one bust? According to the numbers and percentages the first team has more busts and a higher percentage of busts - yet they also had the same number of elite players and more solid productive players. To me that first team had a better draft, yet for some reason many fans would disagree - which doesn't make much sense if you really think about it.

The Experts are amused by his trades and therefor figure he is a Draft day genius. I don't think so. He has missed on more talent that could have helped today as Fred suggests, when he rolls the dice. I don't know if I agree with all your better Raven players, but there are some for sure he could have gotten.
DW Toys
The experts are more likely swayed by the relatively unprecedented streak of success in the salary cap, free agency era when they make that statement. That's simply not supposed to happen, especially when you are allotted a draft pick near the very end of the first round every year.

OK but what exactly has Vereen done to be considered a very talented and very important piece?

Yup. I have serious doubts about Vereen. He stutter steps before making his move; he is not decisive and does not explode through the hole.

I stand by my post; the 2011 draft was a flop. Maybe it didn't suck but it was big blah which was very unfortunate since it could have been so much better....

Last edited:
Yup. I have serious doubts about Vereen. He stutter steps before making his move; he is not decisive and does not explode through the hole.

I stand y my decision; the 2011 was a flop. Maybe it didn't suck but it was big blah which was very unfortunate since it could have been so much better....

Same old garbage, no different than Steve from Fall River and his never ending rants against Belichick and his drafts. The reality, which is that the Patriots draft better than the rest of the league under Belichik, is completely ignored in favor of negativity and cynicism, which makes the diuches feel good but has no connection to reality or the truth.

Same old garbage, no different than Steve from Fall River and his never ending rants against Belichick and his drafts. The reality, which is that the Patriots draft better than the rest of the league under Belichik, is completely ignored in favor of negativity and cynicism, which makes the diuches feel good but has no connection to reality or the truth.

What? Are we all supposed to be Pollyanna's in this forum and only say good things about the Patriots? The facts are pretty clear; the Patriots have had some major whiffs in the second and third round the last few years. The only thing that saves the drafts is that the Patriots accumulate enough picks so that for every Darius Butler/Taylor Price there is a Rob Gronkowski.

I am as much a Homer are the next guy but I have to realistic about the drafts. 2011 was a blah...at least at this juncture.

The good news is the BB is able to win inspite of the mediocre drafts.

In the NFL, nothing...yet. I liked his talent coming out of college.

Important b/c I don't think BJGE and his 4.8/40 speed will be back. And because when teams play Nickel and dare you to run and you can't make them pay then that really hurts your chances of winnning.

I think RB was a need. They lost or will lose F Taylor, S Morris, K Faulk and possibly BJGE. I think the Pats wanted to move on from BJGE as soon as they had guys ready to fill in.

They will never dump BJGE unless forced. He never fumbles and (here is where the idiots football writers miss) he is incredibly tough. He seems to be totally indifferent to pain; he takes a shot and laughs it off. He is an ox...of course he is as fast as an ox but he is reliable and tough. He is the foundation of the running game; a guy you can always fall back on for dependability. Ridley is faster and flashier but that comes at a price.

Tell me what I said that was wrong. I was prophetic as usual. The draft still seems like a big blah. It could have been so much better. Look at what the Raven did with less; it makes a mockery of the Patriots draft.

The draft is not a disaster. Ras-I could team with a rejuvenated McCourty to form an dominating tandem. Mallet seems like a steal and could be a great QB or trade bait in the future. Not a train wreak; just not what it could have been. It was one of the best draft classes ever and the Patriots came away with an average take.

Stop bashing the Taylor Price pick like he was a first rounder, everyone. It would be nice to have Navorro Bowman or Jimmy Graham, but this was the 90th pick in the draft. Want to talk about a disastrous draft choice, how about the Panthers trading their next year's 2nd in that draft to the Pats to take Armanti Edwards, a QB at Appalachian St., one pick ahead of Price. That pick wound up being the first pick of the second round, a trade up of more than 50 spots.

They are not perfect at drafting. They are well, well above average, and it's pretty easy to make the case that they are not one of the top handful of teams at it. They've had an unprecedented run of success that is not stopping any time soon.

Agonize over the 90th pick in the draft if you choose. That's pretty silly to me.

What? Are we all supposed to be Pollyanna's in this forum and only say good things about the Patriots? The facts are pretty clear; the Patriots have had some major whiffs in the second and third round the last few years. The only thing that saves the drafts is that the Patriots accumulate enough picks so that for every Darius Butler/Taylor Price there is a Rob Gronkowski.

I am as much a Homer are the next guy but I have to realistic about the drafts. 2011 was a blah...at least at this juncture.

The good news is the BB is able to win inspite of the mediocre drafts.

Pollyanna my ass. The haters trot out the same lines every time, homers, rose colored glasses, pollyannas,.............it's crap. The truth is that Cold Hard Football Facts did a 10 year league wide analysis applying the same grading criteria to every team and concluded the Patriots have the best draft track record, and they didn't weigh the fact that the Patriots always draft from the bottom of each round. Whereas the same haters who crap on them all year every year only look at the Patriots and only focus on their binkies being bypassed and who they supposedly would have taken instead. The truth is that teams tha do draft as bad as you peoole claim the Patriots do end up sucking year in and year out, a fact that is lost on you, much like everything else.

Sellers, Good retort, but this was interesting reading about the best 40 Draft choices in the last ten years by MYNFLDRAFT.COM, I am sure not the supreme authority but his verbiage is no less important than any other who write this stuff. I might have an argument with some:

Best NFL Draft Picks
A list of the 40 best NFL Draft Picks in the last 10 years. Sometimes late draft selections can make team scouts look like geniuses.

The 40 Best NFL Draft Picks of the Last 10 Years
By Duffysports

40. Justin Tuck DE New York Giants 74 overall (3rd round) 2005

39. Grady Jackson DT Tampa Bay Buccaneers 193 overall (6th round) 1997

There’s a fine line between being fat and being good. Jackson is straddling that line— and it’s not pretty.

38. DeMeco Ryans LB Houston Texans 33 overall (2nd round) 2006

37. Shaun Phillips LB San Diego Chargers 98 overall (4th round) 2004

36. Devin Hester KR Chicago Bears 57 overall (2nd round) 2006

35. Mario Williams DE Houston Texans 1 overall (1st round) 2000

On Draft Day 2006, all we heard was how Williams will forever follow in the shadows of future game-changers Reggie Bush and Vince Young. But what a difference a two years makes. After racking up 11 ½ sacks in 2007, Williams was named AP Defensive Lineman of the Year (I didn’t know that was an award either) and even got votes for Defensive Player of the Year. Bush, whose longest run of his NFL career is just 22 yards— 16 yards fewer than Williams’ fumble recovery touchdown dash— proved that he may never be anything more than an explosive third-down back. Young passed for 9 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and was limited to 395 rushing yards while operating one of the NFL’s most anemic offenses. All of the sudden, it appears that Bush and Young are now chasing the legacy of Williams. Hats off to Charlie Casserly for making that pick. And by the way, hats back on to Casserly for resigning immediately after the draft.

34. Logan Mankins G New England Patriots 32 overall (1st round) 2005

New England has had success drafting offensive lineman in all rounds of the draft. Matt Light was a second-round pick in 2001 and Dan Koppen was a fifth-rounder in 2003, so why is Mankins a more impressive pick than those two? Because the Pats invested first-round money in him. If a fifth-round guard doesn’t pan out, it’s not a big deal. But if a first-round choice fails, then you’ve wasted a lot of money and the opportunity to draft another very talented player. When Mankins was drafted with the last pick of the first round in ’05, everyone had the same reaction…”Who?” With well-known players like USC’s Shaun Cody, Oklahoma’s Dan Cody, and Tennessee’s Kevin Burnett available, it took some Mel Kiper analysis to calm everyone down and convince the world that Mankins was indeed a wise choice. After being named to the Pro Bowl, however, Mankins no longer needs Kiper’s backing to prove that he is one of the best offensive lineman in the NFL.

33. Jared Allen DE Kansas City Chiefs 126 overall (4th round) 2004

32. Rudi Johnson RB Cincinnati Bengals 100 overall (4th round) 2001

Cincinnati didn’t miss a beat when Johnson stepped in for Corey Dillon several seasons ago. Rudi’s bruising running style seems to have taken its toll, however, as his career appears to have peaked in 2005 when he totaled a franchise-record 1,458 yards and 12 touchdowns.

31. Brandon Marshall
Elvis Dumervil WR
DE Denver Broncos 119 overall (4th round) 2006
126 overall (4th round) 2006

30. Frank Gore RB San Francisco 49ers 65 overall (3rd round) 2005

29. Marc Bulger QB New Orleans Saints 168 overall (6th round) 2000

28. Matt Birk C Minnesota Vikings 173 overall (6th round) 1998

27. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila DE Green Bay Packers 150 overall (5th round) 2000

26. Edgerrin James RB Indianapolis Colts 4 overall (1st round) 1999

25. Antonio Cromartie
Marcus McNeil CB
T San Diego Chargers 19 overall (1st round) 2006
50 overall (2nd round) 2006

24. Marion Barber III
Brandon Jacobs RB Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants 109 overall (4th round) 2005
110 overall (4th round) 2005

23. Willis McGahee RB Buffalo Bills 23 overall (1st round) 2003

22. Lance Briggs
Jason Witten LB
TE Chicago Bears
Dallas Cowboys 68 overall (3rd round) 2003
69 overall (3rd round) 2003

21. Mike Anderson RB Denver Broncos 189 overall (6th round) 2000

20. Mike Vrabel OLB Pittsburgh Steelers 91 overall (3rd round) 1997

If Pittsburgh had held onto Vrabel, he would have undoubtedly landed higher on this list. After four seasons with the Steelers, Vrabel signed with New England, where he anchored three championship defenses and discovered a talent for catching 1-yard touchdown passes.

19. Brian Westbrook RB Philadelphia Eagles 91 overall (3rd round) 2002

18. Cato June LB Indianapolis Colts 198 overall (6th round) 2003

17. Steve Smith WR Carolina Panthers 74 overall (3rd round) 2001

16. Tiki Barber
Ronde Barber RB
CB New York Giants
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 36 overall (2nd round) 1997
66 overall (3rd round) 1997

One will go down as the face of his immensely successful franchise. The other will go down as the running back who foolishly passed up a Super Bowl to take a job with ABC.

15. Marques Colston WR New Orleans Saints 252 overall (7th round) 2006

14. Peyton Manning QB Indianapolis Colts 1 overall (1st round) 1998

It’s difficult to consider the first pick of a draft to be a “great pick,” but in this case, Indianapolis deserves a lot of credit for its choice. At the time, many experts thought Ryan Leaf would turn out to be a better pro than Manning. Leaf was the fast-riser, he was the talk of the football world after a gutsy performance against Michigan in the Rose bowl, and in terms of upside, he was considered to be one of the best quarterback prospects in years. Of course, we all know how that turned out. Bill Polian and the Colts drafted arguably the best quarterback of all-time, and the Chargers settled for Leaf, who turned out to be one of the worst.

13. Al Harris CB Tampa Bay Buccaneers 169 overall (6th round) 1997

12. Donald Driver WR Green Bay Packers 219 overall (7th round) 1999

11. Dwight Freeney DE Indianapolis Colts 11 overall (1st round) 2002

10. Joey Porter OLB Pittsburgh Steelers 73 overall (3rd round) 1999

9. Ed Reed FS Baltimore Ravens 24 overall (1st round) 2002

8. Asante Samuel CB New England Patriots 120 overall (4th round) 2003

Samuel highlights the ’03 draft that saw the Pats also select Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, and Dan Koppen. The Central Florida alum was forced into the starting lineup as a rookie when Ty Law and Tyrone Poole went down with injuries. Samuel held onto his starting role the next season and improved every game as he helped lead the Pats to two Super Bowls. He was named All-Pro and voted into the Pro Bowl for the first time this season.

7. Jason Taylor DE Miami Dolphins 73 overall (3rd round) 1997

6. TJ Houshmandzadeh WR Cincinnati Bengals 204 overall (7th round) 2001

5. Adalius Thomas LB Baltimore Ravens 186 overall (6th round) 2000

Thomas won a Super Bowl in his rookie season and was named to the Pro bowl in his third year (2003), but didn’t officially take over a starting job until 2004. Since then, he has proved to be the most versatile defensive player in the NFL. The 6-foot-2 270 lb Thomas became the only player in league history to play 5 defensive position in one game when he lined up at outside linebacker, middle linebacker, defensive end, safety, and cornerback for the Ravens. Quickly recognized for his unreal combination of size and speed, Thomas became too expensive for Baltimore and signed a free agent contract with New England, where he played an integral role on the first team to start the season 18-0.

4. Bob Sanders SS Indianapolis Colts 44 overall (2nd round) 2004

3. Hines Ward WR Pittsburgh Steelers 92 overall (3rd round) 1998

2. Randy Moss WR Minnesota Vikings 21 overall (1st round) 1998

The Detroit Lions wish they had Matt Millen and his wide receiver fetish for the 1998 draft, when they selected cornerback Terry Fair the pick before Moss came off the board. Moss fell due to character issues, but teams quickly learned that character doesn’t exactly matter when you’re flying by and jumping over every cornerback thrown at you. Moss is certain to go down as one of the top five wideouts of all-time, if not the best.

1. Tom Brady QB New England Patriots 199 overall (6th round) 2000

What is there to say? Brady is not only the top pick of the last ten years, but arguably the best draft choice in the history of any sport. I’ll just leave you with the list of quarterbacks selected ahead of Brady in this draft: Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, and Spergon Wynn.

They irony is three we drafted and three we got sometime in their careers as a trade or in FA and another three that we are looking at as possible Pats in FA this year. ................This is my point.

DW Toys

You're making a good point but it's going to be lost with these type of exaggerations.

Why should anyone care about the success rate percentage? The goal is to have X number of productive players, not X percentage of productive players.

Again, your otherwise valid point is being lost with unsubstantiated speculation.

I think (or hope) that 99.99% would agree that the Patriots have made mistakes and missed on some draft picks. The debate is (or should be) where they stand in relation to the 31 other teams in their player evaluation on this topic.

Without some detailed statistical analysis of all 32 teams over a long enough period of time to have a decent sample size it's impossible to objectively agree or disagree with that statement.

Minor point, but I guess this is one of those statements that gets repeated so often it ends up being accepted as fact. They're probably more likely to be involved in a trade with the Saints, Texans, Raiders, Ravens or Packers. Other than the Greg Lewis trade and last year's trade that ended up becoming Markell Carter, where were those trades with the Eagles in the previous ten years?

There are hits and misses in both free agency as well as the draft. Where's the data to support the statement that FA evaluation is better than the draft? Where's the data to compare with 31 other teams that one can draw the 'mediocre' conclusion?

I would think that a more likely line of thinking is that the draft is a crapshoot, and therefore ten picks is better than seven, and seven picks is better than three. Will that result in more misses? Yes, of course it will! So what, why should anyone care? The object is to find the most number of hits.

If one team trades down (resulting in ten picks), and ends up with one elite player, three solid productive players, and six busts, did they have a worse draft than the team that trades up (resulting in three picks), and ends up with one elite player, one solid productive player and one bust? According to the numbers and percentages the first team has more busts and a higher percentage of busts - yet they also had the same number of elite players and more solid productive players. To me that first team had a better draft, yet for some reason many fans would disagree - which doesn't make much sense if you really think about it.

The experts are more likely swayed by the relatively unprecedented streak of success in the salary cap, free agency era when they make that statement. That's simply not supposed to happen, especially when you are allotted a draft pick near the very end of the first round every year.

You asked for some substantiation. I can only suppose this is accurate. This was an article from Forbes two day before the 2010 Draft by Monte Burke. I agree 2010 was a decent class for the Pats and as decent, but that 2011 is still questionable at best.
Here is the Pats vaunted Draft talent and I agree:

Best And Worst NFL Draft Teams

Topping the list of the best drafting teams: the Houston Texans, who have kept on their current roster an amazing 85% of the players they've drafted in the last three years. The Texans have also produced two All-Pros (linebacker DeMeco Ryans and defensive end Mario Williams). But the Texans' record over the last three years is a less-than-mediocre 22-26.

The Indianapolis Colts and New York Giants placed second and third, respectively.

The bottom five will surprise fans most. The worst drafting team in the past three years, holding on to only a little more than half of its drafted players: the New England Patriots. With three Super Bowl wins since 2001, the Patriots are the team of the decade so far. They boast a 39-9 record in the past three years. How have they maintained that excellence? Though saddled with low draft picks, the Patriots have been the masters of picking up useful veterans via trades to fill holes in their lineup (see: receivers Randy Moss and Wes Welker).

Behind the Numbers
To find the NFL's best and worst teams at drafting, we looked at the last three years of drafts for all 32 NFL teams. To judge the success or failure of the drafting teams, we looked at the percentage of players from those three draft classes who were still listed as active members of the team.

We gave a little extra weight to players who had made the Associated Press' All-Pro first and second teams--the players deemed as that year's best at their respective positions. Membership in this elite group is difficult to crack for a young player, as many long-tenured veterans make the All-Pro team year after year based only on reputation (take the N.Y. Jets' Alan Faneca).

Guessing Game
The NFL draft is all about potential, a stock market of big men in pads and helmets. Despite all of the scouting, speed trials, interviews and intelligence tests that teams require of potential draft picks, there is no surefire way to know if a player just out of college will be able to make it in the NFL.
Read on for more lists and rankings including golf, baseball and college sports towns.

The seven-round draft is rife with mistakes on both ends of the spectrum: Ryan Leaf, the first pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998, turned out to be fool's gold and was out of the NFL within four years. Tom Brady, the three-time Super Bowl winner for the New England Patriots and one of the best quarterbacks of all time, was the 199th player chosen in the 2000 draft, a hidden gem passed over by every NFL team multiple times.

With skyrocketing rookie contracts, the pressure to get a draft pick right is more acute now than ever. When Jake Long, last year's overall No.1 pick, signed a five-year $57.5 million contract with the Miami Dolphins, he became the highest-paid offensive tackle in the league without ever having played an NFL game.

How It Works
To help with competitive balance, the NFL organizes the draft positions in a reverse-record manner. That is, the team with the worst record gets the first draft pick going all the way down to the Super Bowl winner, which drafts 32nd. The Texans, with their poor record over the past three years, have continually had a favorable drafting position (average spot: 12th).

Successful teams--those with excellent win-loss records--have also succeeded in finding NFL-caliber players. Take the Indianapolis Colts, with a 37-11 record and a Super Bowl title in the 2006 season. The Colts average drafting position: 40.

The New York Giants, winners of the 2007 season Super Bowl, are another successful franchise. The Giants have held on to 90% of their draft picks from the past three years.

The Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos, two teams who have experienced up-and-down seasons of late, round out the list of best drafters.

After the Patriots, the next team from the bottom makes more intuitive sense: The lowly St. Louis Rams, who have logged a ghastly 13-35 record in the last three years. Though the Rams' average draft position is 10th, they have retained little more than half of their draftees.

Third worst is another surprise: the world champion Pittsburgh Steelers, with only 58% of their drafted players still on the team and no All-Pros among them. Like the Patriots, the perennially contending Steelers usually have a low draft spot, but they have fulfilled their needs by finding and developing excellent undrafted rookies over the years, like running back Willie Parker and linebacker James Harrison, the 2008 defensive player of the year.

Rounding out the bottom five are the Miami Dolphins and the Cincinnati Bengals. The Dolphins had pitiful drafts until guru Bill Parcells stepped in as the de facto head of football operations. Parcells' talent-evaluation skills have turned the team around. The Bengals (19-28-1), by contrast, just can't seem to get out of their ugly rut.

The bottom line: Drafting NFL-caliber players is very important, but it doesn't necessarily equal success on the field. Finding other strategies to plug the gaps, like the Patriots and Steelers have done, is essential. So don't judge your team's success at the end of draft day. Wait to see how it all plays out--and watch for what your team does to boost draft deficiencies.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I agree mostly with this.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Tell me what I said that was wrong. I was prophetic as usual. The draft still seems like a big blah. It could have been so much better. Look at what the Raven did with less; it makes a mockery of the Patriots draft.

The only values the Ravens got were their really fast receiver who can't run routes in the 2nd and their pass rush specialist in the 5th. Their first rounder started 3 games, and their 3rd rounder didn't start any. That sounds awfully familiar, like a Pats second rounder who started his only two games, and another second rounder who didn't start any. So unless you're that impressed with Smith's ability to run fast and not much else, or McPhee's value as a situational pass rusher, that isn't really a draft to lust over.

1. Tom Brady QB New England Patriots 199 overall (6th round) 2000

What is there to say? Brady is not only the top pick of the last ten years, but arguably the best draft choice in the history of any sport. I’ll just leave you with the list of quarterbacks selected ahead of Brady in this draft: Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, and Spergon Wynn.

They irony is three we drafted and three we got sometime in their careers as a trade or in FA and another three that we are looking at as possible Pats in FA this year. ................This is my point.

DW Toys

That still hurts. I so wanted Spergon Wynn that year :D

Have to mostly agree. His trading down stuff have been a mixed bag. He loves to coach up these fourth and fifth rounders. I am sorry, wouldn't an actual first round talent be easier on the mental anguish with less to teach? Is the theory if we draft four fifth rounders, one will come to the surface we hope? It has not worked. 2010 was an apparition for the choices and how they have turned out for the Pats in general over the last five years. 17% is the success rate of a total NFL draft class. But the higher the choice, the more likely over that 17% success rate.

It think the Pats Draft Day team outsmarts itself. "BB, Let's trade down....Ol' so and so will be there.!....Opps he's not!...Let's trade out to some cool guys in the fourth round and get another for the next year so we can trade out there as well."

No one will admit in the organization that they made some boo boos.... but some Koolaiders here will say that was well planned. Not buying.

They are mediocre, right in the middle, not the worst and certainly not the best as far as talent evaluators in the NFL Draft over that last five or six years although they have had the potential with the higher picks that they had, to have a better Team. Who can deny this?

It's like BB trading with the Eagles every year. Perhaps "Trading down is intriguing and let's see how it comes out" is the battle cry. He does not give a rats annal pore whether the "experts" think he was wise or not Draft day, not certainly us as fans. He has success and that taints this evaluation process, but if you look at it, BB is better at picking up experienced player trades and FAs who have made more of a difference to his yearly success. His Drafts are....mediocre.

The Experts are amused by his trades and therefor figure he is a Draft day genius. I don't think so. He has missed on more talent that could have helped today as Fred suggests, when he rolls the dice. I don't know if I agree with all your better Raven players, but there are some for sure he could have gotten.
DW Toys

yep this post was about my breaking point on the criticism.

People here are very one eyed on the misses BB has had on their binki's and with the value of hind sight generally say they would have picked so n so (clay mathews is a prime example).

BB over the last 3 years has used his trade down strategy to let us have a ounty of picks in the 1st 3 rounds every year.

with those picks he has selected from 2008 onwards:

1st round : Multi Pro Bowl & All Pro MLB Rookie of the Year, Pro Bowl CB (rookie season) 30+ (16 rookie) starts, Starting LT/RT 13 rookie starts

2nd Round: Starting FS/SS 24 Starts, All Pro 2nd team RT, Nickle CB in the league (other team), All Pro TE All Time record holder in TE TD's and receiving yards 1860 yards and 27 td's in 2 seasons, Rookie Starting OLB Started 11 games as a rookie, Starting MLB started 12 games, Starting CB 2 starts 2 games played,

3rd Round: RB 2 starts rookie year 440 yards 5.1 per, Res QB

4th Round: Nickle CB (other team), Pro Bowl TE/HB 1470 yards and 13 td's in 2 seasons

5th Round: Pro Bowl Ster, Starting Punter (Top 10 in NFL Last year in AVG), OT/OG (1st/2nd rd grade)

6th Round: DL Rotation On Roster (3 years)

7th Round: Leading PR in League, multiple 100 yard receiving games WR/CB/PR, Starting DE 9 starts,

You can say all you want about who you would have (with the value of hindsight) drafted instead of doing what BB has done. But the fact of the matter is every single 1st round pick since 2007 has made the Pro bowl (Solder excluded in his rookie year).

We have had 6 starting players (2 All Pro 1st/2nd team) picked in the 2nd round in the last 4 years. MLB, OLB, TE, OT, SS/FS, CB.

3rd round has been a bust until Ridley who was successful.

Got a Pro Bowl caliber TE/HB/WR in the 4th round and a CB who was nickle/starter for some games

5th-7th we have added top ST talent at PR, P and STer.

I would now like you to find 8 teams who have drafted better in that period. If you can't then pats are in the top quarter of drafters over that period and can you be unhappy with that?

I would also like to find a team who generally is picking after 20 who has had such a good record in the 1st round as the pats.

Everyone has it good around here with the teams success so we decide that because this tam has picked horribly in the 3rd round and BB didn't pick our binky (connor barwin... oh what could have been) that all of a sudden all the good picks from the team don't matter.

Of course we could have drafted better.... every team in the league could have. It happens every year but i just can sit back and listen to people say BB can't draft when they are ignoring all of the good draft picks he has made and only focusing on the bad. The say how stupid the trade down system is yet every year we are in an opportunity to basically get any player we want because we have the ammo.

As i said do the exercise and see if you can find 8 teams who have drafted better. I can maybe see GB? Steelers? NO? Jets (i think not), Ravens?

All i am saying is if you showed me those stats above from the picks and said it was over 4 years of drafting i would say gee those guys are solid drafters pretty poor 3rd round but other than that very good.

If you think i am nit picking and want to add in 2007? BM was a Multiple PB safety and we traded our 2nd and 5th rounders for 2 PB record setting WR's in a poor draft class.

Rant over

The draft analysis presented above is flawed. The big difference is that the Pats have had a deep, championship level roster that is difficult for mid to late round draft picks to first make and second to excel. Witness last year when what 11 players cut by the Pats got picked up by other teams (and stayed on their rosters all year long). While Price was a "bust" here, he was quickly snapped up and looked good in his short time with Jax. Over the past five years, any given rookie had a much easier time sticking with the Texans than they did with the Pats. Yes, the Texans have kept a higher percentage of their picks, but have had minimal success on the field (you know, the Pats were in the SB last year).

My other point is that drafting is a crap shoot, no one hits all their pick and most GM's are good if they hit on "some" picks (not most), Those who complain BB is a poor drafter would probably boo Ted Williams when he playing today. Ted only hit .344 for his career, which means he "busted" on about 65% of his "picks". Definitely, not a good record.

I find it funny that people still haven't figured out why the Pats drafted 2 RBs last year. And it's laughable when someone says that the 2011 draft sucked. These people clearly decide to ignore the state of the team at the time of the draft and whine about not getting what they feel the team should have gotten.

So, with that said, let's fill in the context.

Going into the Draft last year, there was no CBA. So the status of some players was up in the air. Particularly guys like BJGE who were 3rd year players entering free agency. There was plenty of talk that these players could be UFAs under the new CBA. With Faulk and Taylor already UFAs, the Pats had ONE RB under contract. Danny Woodhead. Then, there was the situation at OT. Light was a UFA. Mark LeVoir, who had looked promising when the Pats first signed him had taken steps backwards. And they didn't have any other OTs under contract. Quinn Ojinnaka was a UFA. The Pats needed help in the secondary because they didn't know whether Bodden would be healthy, Butler hadn't stepped up, and Wilhite seemed to have taken some steps back.

So, with that said, let's look at the draft picks.

Nate Solder- Arguably the best OT in the draft. Filled an immediate need for the Pats as well in the event that Matt Light decided to walk in free agency.

Ras-I Dowling - gave the Pats a taller CB. Something that people had been clamoring for. Only issue was the severally over-blow idea that the kid couldn't stay healthy. Only problem is that he played in 35 of 37 games prior to his senior season and both of those missed were coaches decisions. Not injury related. Only during his senior season did he have any major injury issues. A team captain at Virginia.

Shane Vereen - Had injury issues with the Pats. Is projected to be a 3rd down back who can block and catch out of the backfield, ala Kevin Faulk.

Steven Ridley - was touted as a power-back with good agility, burst, and consistency. Was a team Captaini at LSU. Not a lot of mileage on his tires. Ridley was a big surprise for the Pats and he showed to everyone what the Pats saw in him. The only issue was the 2 fumbles in back to back games at the end of the season.d If there is anything that Belichick hates is fumbles. Though, in the kid's defense, one of the was a helluva play by the defense.

Ryan Mallett - Kid was being touted as a 1st rounder and potential top 10 pick leading up to the draft. His stock plummetted on rumors of drug issues though he never tested positive while playing at Arkansas. Pats clearly drafted him with the future in mind.

Marcus Cannon - Kid was being touted as a 1st round prospect until his physical at the combine found Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. At 6'5 and 350lbs, many had him moving inside to guard, ala Logan Mankins. Cannon started the season on the PUP and finished it with 2 starts at RT plus numerous other snaps there due to Vollmer's injury and latter Matt Light going down prior to the start of the Miami game. Kid more than showed his ability, essentially shutting down Cameron Wade.

Lee Smith- The Pats were looking for a #3 TE and thought that Smith was it. However, due to injury issues at other places on the team, Smith was cut with the hopes of landing him on the PS. However, the Bills claimed him.

Markell Carter - This kid is a project player for OLB for the Pats. He's got the Height/Weight ratio that the Pats seem to like and he has long arms. He's got decent explosion off the edge as a pass rusher. He was cut and signed to their practice squad. Was named best practice player several times for the Pats during the year.

Malcolm Williams - This one had a lot of people scratching their heads. Clearly he was a special teams only type player. Williams was initially cut, but later re-signed and then yo-yo-ed between the practice squad and the main roster through-out the year.

As others have mentioned, you can't fully judge these kids after only one season. That being said, things look very promising for Solder, Ridley, and Cannon. The jury is still out on Vereen, Carter, Mallett and Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes