PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In your opinion, how good does the #3 pick QB need to be?

What could we get from the 3rd pick? If any of the QBs is available, then their value increases greatly (more than with a Wr, IMO, even if MHjr is the second coming of Randy Moss)

2 1sts, 2 second round pick, can be spread to multiple years, plus a few 3rd/4ths/5ths this year would make me pleased

But if we are to barely get even on those "picks value chart" that float around during draft, I say go to the bluest chip player you can find.

The only reason Im hesitant to prepare my mind for a QB is that I do not want a short guy under center. I think the game grew taller and these guys just won't succeed very easily

I would be happy to trade down from 3 to 5/6/7 and likely still get one of Nabers/Alt/Fashanu/Daniels. You might get an extra 1st if you are lucky.

How good? Barring an injury/injuries, cornerstone good!

The only reason Im hesitant to prepare my mind for a QB is that I do not want a short guy under center. I think the game grew taller and these guys just won't succeed very easily
How short is short? Patrick Mahomes is 6'2.

Caleb Williams 6'1

Drake Mayes 6'4

Jayden Daniels 6'4

All top 3 QB prospects are within an inch or two of the "gold standard" at QB right now.

How short is short? Patrick Mahomes is 6'2.

Caleb Williams 6'1

Drake Mayes 6'4

Jayden Daniels 6'4

All top 3 QB prospects are within an inch or two of the "gold standard" at QB right now.
Fair enough

Mahomes is an exception and I wont pretend to know about college QBs

I was thinking of Caleb for my post, whose height might be a bit inflated, but Idk for sure

Only 3 top 3 pick QBs have won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years and only 1 with the team that drafted them….

If they aren’t generational or you feel is a 10 year starter take MhJ

You look at the most successful teams in the NFL. First off none of them are starting a top 3 pick QB and second off all of them built the team first and plugged the QB in after.
Many of the top NFL teams are starting top ten QBs who they drafted. Many of the top teams of the past decade started top 3 to top 5 QBs they drafted. The success rate of highly drafted QBs is much better than QBs drafted later. How many of the top teams are starting QBs they drafted in the top half of the first round. Many how many are starting QBs drafted after the fourth round? Fewer. How many QBs have been drafted in the first fifteen picks versus the last 150 picks?

After Mac Jones and the '21 debacle I am once bitten, twice shy perhaps it may be better to trade down and take a hard look at TE Bowers, the more I watch the NFL the more it seems that a great TE is key to good/great offenses. Either that or the highest rated LT, Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu.
On the other hand there are no real "quality" QB Free Agents available, Jayden Daniels would be my choice.
Sorry for arguing with myself in this forum, but I don't really know the best choice.

Honestly unless we are 100% all in on whoever the QB is at 3, I think you just take Harrison. WR is a position of need, he's a generational prospect, we could have that position locked down with a stud for years and pay him whatever it takes.

If you think you have your guy at QB, fine, get him. But frankly (and I know this won't be popular), Caleb Williams is the only QB I'm really interested in. He could bust, but you are getting an unreal talent that has every chance to succeed. Nobody would be surprised if Daniels physically just can't cut it at the end of the day and Maye just sort of feels like a sort of low ceiling/decently floor pick.

Otherwise, get Harrison, bring in a Vet, draft somebody at QB in round 2, spend the rest of the draft on WR or offensive line, make offensive line the priority in free agency. Maybe use the 6th or 7th on a kicker for competition wth Ryland.
Agreed. This Pats team is not merely a QB away from contending, just about every position needs upgrading, so it’s important to take the best player available. I’m with you in that I’d want Caleb Williams if he somehow fell to 3rd overall as his value would be too good to pass up there. He has every tool in the box that you want from a modern day NFL QB. If it’s not him then take Marvin Harrison Jr. who is the best WR prospect since Ja’Marr Chase and has potential to be just as good if not better on the NFL level. I understand the sense of urgency from the fanbase of finding the next franchise QB, but the team needs to be smart about it. We’ve already seen the damage when our last first round QB wasn’t put in a position to succeed. This will be a multiple year rebuild and we should expect more growing pains with this team in 2024 as part of that process.

It’s important to reset our expectations. I got so used to feeling a sense of urgency of winning while they still had Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and not letting that window go to waste, but that’s over with now. Brady is retired and Belichick is gone. The pressure to hurry up and win now no longer makes sense given the composition of this team. The focus now is to rebuild with a hopefully smarter approach to drafting and have a nucleus of guys that will earn second contracts here and make up the core of a perennial contender like many of today’s top teams have.

I’d be okay with them kicking the can down the road by way of signing a veteran stopgap at QB while the front office works to fortify the offensive line and the pass catcher personnel. I don’t expect nor should anyone expect MHJ to solve the offense’s woes overnight but he’d be a big piece of turning it around and I just feel like it’ll be harder to find another WR as good as him falling in our lap any time soon. Assuming Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are both off the board by then, I think they should take Harrison Jr. and continue adding to the offense for what a young QB will need for better success once they’re in there. If the Bears stand pat and take MHJ with their first pick, then take the best QB left at 3 whether it’s Caleb or Maye. LT is super important as well and I think the team should find a way to trade back into the first round with another pick and nab one of those guys as well.

The 2024 NEP QB is already here.

418488619_771461001674882_4392384594923200296_n.jpg

The draft history data in this thread is pretty discouraging. Many of the high picks that flamed out were choices made purely on athletic potential. The ability to handle pressure and counter attack defensive schemes against better talent in the NFL cannot be measured. Josh Allen is one of the only QB's that were able to translate their athletic potential on the field.

BB's list of ideal attributes is still a good baseline for evaluating QB's at the draft. Additional rules of thumb that I would add before investing a very high pick on a QB.
1. QB comes from a school that faced legitimate competition
2. QB does not come from a program with a dominant OL and superior weapons
3. QB success not achieved by being physically superior to the competition
4. QB is crazy competitive while being emotionally stable

002.jpg

This better be the best draft pick in this history of draft picks, I'll tell you!!

What could we get from the 3rd pick? If any of the QBs is available, then their value increases greatly (more than with a Wr, IMO, even if MHjr is the second coming of Randy Moss)

2 1sts, 2 second round pick, can be spread to multiple years, plus a few 3rd/4ths/5ths this year would make me pleased

But if we are to barely get even on those "picks value chart" that float around during draft, I say go to the bluest chip player you can find.

SF gave up 3 firsts a second and a 3rd for #4 overall to get Lance.
The 1 from that year was 12th and turned out to be Micah parsons.

BB's list of ideal attributes is still a good baseline for evaluating QB's at the draft. Additional rules of thumb that I would add before investing a very high pick on a QB.

002.jpg
BB's laundry list literally describes Tom Brady. The odds of finding another guy like that in our lifetimes is unlikely.

Instead we need to find the best guy to continue leading the franchise out of what's available.

BB's dynastic succession was pretty bad when you look at what actually happened.

Tom Brady -> Washed Cam Newton -> Mac Jones -> Bailey Zappe

All those QB's after are a horror show. Compare this to what has happened in Green Bay:

Brett Favre -> Aaron Rodgers -> Jordan Love

And the Packers just whipped a very talented Cowboys team in the playoffs with Love at QB.

In other words, yes the secret sauce is the franchise QB. But finding that guy requires commitment and it's not always one size fits all.

For example San Francisco couldn't find another Joe Montana, but they did find a Steve Young. Two QBs who are widely different in styles.

You've got to focus on the talent, rather than trying to fit some checklist when you're looking for your next franchise QB.

BB's laundry list literally describes Tom Brady. The odds of finding another guy like that in our lifetimes is unlikely.

Instead we need to find the best guy to continue leading the franchise out of what's available.

BB's dynastic succession was pretty bad when you look at what actually happened.

All those QB's after are a horror show. Compare this to what has happened in Green Bay:

And the Packers just whipped a very talented Cowboys team in the playoffs with Love at QB.

In other words, yes the secret sauce is the franchise QB. But finding that guy requires commitment and it's not always one size fits all.

For example San Francisco couldn't find another Joe Montana, but they did find a Steve Young. Two QBs who are widely different in styles.

You've got to focus on the talent, rather than trying to fit some checklist when you're looking for your next franchise QB.
Sorry I assumed everyone understood that developing a QB was the most important thing so I took it for granted. So yes, you are right that it is important to find AND develop a QB AND ensure that there are the right players around them using a game plan that plays to their strengths and weaknesses. Thank you for explaining that.

As far as the profile goes, it is generic and was developed when BB was in Cleveland. Since he was the GOAT it makes good sense that TB12 has the desired attributes, it helps validate the model. Those generic tendencies are displayed by all good QB's. After going through the Mac experience, the leadership, confidence and field awareness requirements stand out as being more important than elite, by NFL standards, physical skills. Bailey Zappe was better than Mac because he was better in those areas even though he is not as good physically.

My bar is pretty low to be honest. I don't want to feel second hand embarrassment. Mac and Wilson have had some pathetic outings. Can't do it again. If we are going to lose, it needs to be with some splash plays in the mix. I can't tolerate losing, embarrassment, and boring all at once again. I'd settle for running the wildcat than some of the performances mac gave us. That is my bar.

There are things about Zappe I truly like but I want our next qb to CLEARLY have more physical upside than him. Ideally, I want our qb to have the ability to play in high winds and snow.

Having watched love , i feel first rule of QB draft is to never ever draft a QB who does not have a decent cannon arm.

With that being said I feel maye, williams, daniels and penix are probably the only potential targets . Rest all are backup in my opinion and should not be drafted any earlier than 4th round.

The more I see daniels , the more I am leaning towards him. Maybe we get lucky .

And having seen the eagles and the impact of losing a well qualified OC, I think we need to probably interview few other folks for OC rather than giving it to bob/ McDaniels by default.

I would be happy to trade down from 3 to 5/6/7 and likely still get one of Nabers/Alt/Fashanu/Daniels. You might get an extra 1st if you are lucky.
The price in previous years for Trey Lance at 3 and Jaylen Waddle at 6 is a lot more than that. Lance was 3 1sts and a 3rd. Waddle was 2 1st rounders including the 12th pick.

Daniels and Harrison should be worth as least as much as Lance and Waddle.

Finding that guy requires simply taking a pick when it's a luxury because a guy you like fell to you when everyone said he was going higher, which also means ignoring fans and everyone else who blames you for not selecting a WR for your QB who badly needs one. And it doesn't work if the owner himself is in love with the current QB and can't imagine why you'd spend a pick on a new one when the old one clearly has several years left.

Mayo and Mac.

Eminem
Zappe will start and win the Super Bowl. It will be obvious by week 5 that will happen. All that hard work has already paid off.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back